Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

string of system problems

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 vampboi

vampboi

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2014 - 08:36 PM

This may be a rather long post but I have had a huge string of problems that I'm hoping someone might have some insight on.

Starting about 2 months ago my computer began to blue screen and restart anywhere between 5-60 minutes after starting up reporting memory errors. Ran windows memory diagnostic and it came back clean but problem continued so I thought perhaps a virus and decided to reinstall win 7 ultimate from a burned DVD. During install at Expanding Files step it errored out with "windows cannot install the required files". A Google search revealed a lot of ideas one of which was bad memory. I tried first unplugging everything but the install DVD drive, swapping out for a diff dvsd drive, a diff hard drive, installing drom usb, still same error at same time. I tried also a windows 8 retail disk my roommate had and same problem. For reference my system was as follows...

Asus sabertooth 990fx
16gb gskill sniper ddr1600
Seasonic X series 650w PSU
Geforce 550ti
Asus bluray drive
Seagate 2tb hard drive
And 8350fx bulldozer

I first contacted Asus tech support and they seemed to think it was a bad controller on the MB so i rma'd the board. Got new sabertooth 990fx rev 2.0, threw in my hardware and same error at same point of install. So I buy new ram 8gb of kingdom hyper x black. Windows installs finally yay! Runs great for 2 weeks then blur screen one day wtf not again. Keeps rebooting, try reinstall, same damn error " windows cannot install the required files ". Starting to hate this error. I have meanwhile RMAd the gskill RAM and decide to buy a new power supply thinking maybe a psu on the way out is causing the ram to go bad. I get the new psu. Install in case with the 8350 and new gskill ram. Won't install again same error at same time.

I buy a new processor. A amd 6300 vishera. Install in original 1.0 Asus board and use some parts from the wife's computer that has beenn working fine since 2008, a 500gb drive from hers and 2 250gb seagates i had laying around in a raid. Still believing at the time the PSU was the cause. Installs OK yay!
I notice its note dual booting 2 copies of win 7 however. The install on the 500gb drive from wife's computer, and the one on the raid. Stems easiest way to fix is reinstall and format the 500gb during install
But lo and behold I note get that dammed same error during install.

Can anyone help me with this please. I am at the end of my rope. I've reburned the win7 ultimate iso to usb with Microsoft's tool AND with Rufus multiple times. Computer was hanging on install and freezing at "starting windows" . finally got past that only to continuously get the same error during expanding files. Im at a complete loss. The only thing even consistent through all this is the same usb drive to install. But I started out with a burned DVD copy and tries a retail win 8 to test.

Now part of me is tempted to just buy all new stuff. But there is no way everything I have is bad. But if I use some of the things I have what if one of them makes the new stuff bad.

Help!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,123 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:46 PM

Posted 21 April 2014 - 09:42 PM

PSU voltage check would be a good idea, seems like a voltage issue.  Have you checked your bios?

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#3 vampboi

vampboi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2014 - 09:45 PM

I have updated to the latest bios. I don't have a way to check college besides what the MB bios says. I'm currently buying a power supply tester and waiting for it to come. Needed one anyway but I have tried 3 different
PSU one of which was brand new
College = voltages
College = voltages

#4 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,123 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:46 PM

Posted 21 April 2014 - 09:50 PM

Did you go over voltages in your bios?

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#5 vampboi

vampboi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2014 - 10:04 PM

I had a -5v sitting at like -7 and the -12v rail at -15.3 but that seems a bit too far out to be correct. I assumed it a false reading but who knows without a copy meter or psu tester to be sure. That was only with the old PSU though. The brand new one is spot on according to bios

#6 vampboi

vampboi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2014 - 10:10 PM

I had a -5v sitting at like -7 and the -12v rail at -15.3 but that seems a bit too far out to be correct. I assumed it a false reading but who knows without a copy meter or psu tester to be sure. That was only with the old PSU though. The brand new one is spot on according to bios

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users