Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Printing temporarily cuts internet access

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 printerissues

printerissues

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:39 PM

Posted 21 April 2014 - 07:38 PM

I've Googled the problem and tried every solution I found. Nothing's worked so far.

Printer: HP Color Laserjet 3600n, connected via Ethernet.

Problem: Every time someone on the network prints something, the internet access is temporarily cut. All devices on the network are affected. The devices still show that they are connected to the network, they just won't be able to load anything (downloads that are in progress get interrupted as well). The loss of internet access is very brief, maybe ~5 seconds. Again, the devices still show that they are connected.

I've tried:

1. Someone suggested that the printer may be taking too much power. My printer and router are now in different wall sockets and the issue is still here.

2. Someone suggested that the printer may be trying to "steal" an IP from another device. I've manually set the Printer's IP to "192.168.1.101". My other devices only go up to about "192.168.1.20".

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:39 PM

Posted 21 April 2014 - 11:02 PM

Hi, did you checked if the router has any updated firmware versions just in case all other suggestions were already exhausted? Have you tried a router and or printer reset also? By the way, :welcome: to Bleeping Computer :)

Tekken

#3 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,445 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:39 PM

Posted 22 April 2014 - 12:50 PM

How are your devices connected to the network?  Does everything go through the router?  If so I'd try resetting the router and see if the problem continues.  Next suggestion would be to get a cheap switch and connect everything to that and see if you still have the problem.

#4 printerissues

printerissues
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2014 - 06:45 PM

Hi, did you checked if the router has any updated firmware versions just in case all other suggestions were already exhausted? Have you tried a router and or printer reset also? By the way, :welcome: to Bleeping Computer :)

Router has latest firmware.

How are your devices connected to the network?  Does everything go through the router?  If so I'd try resetting the router and see if the problem continues.  Next suggestion would be to get a cheap switch and connect everything to that and see if you still have the problem.

Printer is via ethernet, everything else is wireless. I've reset the router multiple times and the issue still presists. Can you explain the cheap switch suggestion?

#5 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,157 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:39 AM

Posted 22 April 2014 - 07:37 PM

Can you hook the printer via USB or wifi it?  I am wondering if it does a scan back that interrupts the signal from the router.

Edited by OldPhil, 22 April 2014 - 07:39 PM.

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#6 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2014 - 11:40 PM

Did you try assigning default gateway when on static IP (192.168.1.1 or 0.1) depending on the DHCP address on ISP or router?

Tekken

#7 printerissues

printerissues
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2014 - 12:14 AM

Can you hook the printer via USB or wifi it?  I am wondering if it does a scan back that interrupts the signal from the router.

-USB not sure, never bothered trying.

-I don't think the printer supports WiFi.

Did you try assigning default gateway when on static IP (192.168.1.1 or 0.1) depending on the DHCP address on ISP or router?

Default gateway on the printer's Config Page: 192.168.1.1

My router's control panel IP is also 192.168.1.1

Is this a problem?

#8 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,445 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2014 - 09:30 AM

Since everything else is wireless I'm guessing that some how the printer is causing issues with the wireless signal.  A switch probably isn't going to do anything for this issue, I'd leave that for a possible try later.

How close to the router is the printer?  Might try moving the printer further away, possibly to a different outlet.

Might try changing the channel your wireless is using.

#9 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,157 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2014 - 12:06 PM

Hook it up USB it will still be the network printer!

#10 Roodo

Roodo

• Members
  • 760 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:39 PM

Posted 23 April 2014 - 12:18 PM

Try this

Turn printer off

Turn router off

Turn printer on

Then Turn router on

#11 printerissues

printerissues
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2014 - 08:25 PM

Hook it up USB it will still be the network printer!

I don't think my Router has a USB port...

Since everything else is wireless I'm guessing that some how the printer is causing issues with the wireless signal.  A switch probably isn't going to do anything for this issue, I'd leave that for a possible try later.

How close to the router is the printer?  Might try moving the printer further away, possibly to a different outlet.

Might try changing the channel your wireless is using.

Router is literally right next to the printer. It can't be moved, because the printer has to be connected via Ethernet.

Any suggestions on which channel to change to? I think the current channel is 6.

Try this

Turn printer off

Turn router off

Turn printer on

Then Turn router on

Tried multiple times.

#12 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,157 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2014 - 08:49 PM

I believe your all sharing files and printer, USB into the closet computer.  My printer is USB to my box still all the laptops are all wireless, all print fine no net issues.  IMO it is using the Eithernet cable, a signal is a signal you are getting a mini log jam!

#13 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,445 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2014 - 08:20 AM

You can get a longer ethernet cable, up to 328 feet.

Here is article on how to pick a less crowded wireless channel.  Change Your Wi-Fi Router Channel to Optimize Your Wireless Signal

#14 printerissues

printerissues
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2014 - 04:14 PM

My printer is now connected using a USB cable (removed ethernet cable). The router's USB connection LED is on but the printer does not show up in the router control panel and the printer shows that it's ip address is 0.0.0.0. Why isn't the printer being given an IP?

Apparently my router does not support USB printers...

Edited by printerissues, 26 April 2014 - 04:22 PM.

#15 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2014 - 07:28 PM

Just thinking of an Ethernet to USB printer adapter...

Tekken

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users