Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

453 gb hard drive full - I don't have that much data! Help!

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Mary3

Mary3

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:10 AM

Posted 21 April 2014 - 05:24 PM

I am running Win 7 Home Premium, Serv Pack 1, 64 bit.  I have a lot of Word files, some pictures and video's.  Got a blue screen of death and a message that my hard drive was full. I don't understand how that can happen!  I was able to erase 3.6 gb of files, but I'm back to only 1.2 gb free.  Someone said something about a backup "bug" that  could keep backing up my files until the drive is  full. 

Can anyone help, please?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 TERM1NAL

TERM1NAL

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:10 AM

Posted 21 April 2014 - 06:00 PM

Hello, first try typing into the start button %temp% this will bring up your OS main temp folder, delete everything in this folder

you will have to "Skip" the (FXASDeBugLogFile) and maybe one or two more depending on which virus/spyware programs

you use , then go into your C; drive into users (your user) (Local) and Roaming and delete the contents of the "Temp"

folders in those locations this will free up allot of space on your computer, the largest I have seen is 200gigs

And as for the bug its not really a bug its only if you have a (Program) that makes and saves constant backups and if your

computer has only one HDD then the backup is being stored on your C; drive which is no place for a back up, So I suggest

that you hunt through (Programs & Features) to locate the software that is making the backups if this is the case, As I said

before I have worked on a computer that had 200 gigabytes in the %temp% folder alone not to mention the 3 other (Temp)

locations , Also defragging after will free up more space and should be quick since you've manually "Cleaned" by removing

duplicates files, empty registries and dead extentsions .

Acronis Home is on most W7 OSs and is a very good and free program, but also needs to be configured by the user so it

wont (Automatically) run and as long as the (Backup) it makes is not stored on your C: drive. you can check your 4 locations

on W7 for these backups x86, program files, users and windows.

I hope you find this information helpful, as I will check back.

TERM1NAL

#3 TERM1NAL

TERM1NAL

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:10 AM

Posted 21 April 2014 - 06:12 PM

Hello, first try typing into the start button %temp% this will bring up your OS main temp folder, delete everything in this folder

you will have to "Skip" the (FXASDeBugLogFile) and maybe one or two more depending on which virus/spyware programs

you use , then go into your C; drive into users (your user) (Local) and Roaming and delete the contents of the "Temp"

folders in those locations this will free up allot of space on your computer, the largest I have seen is 200gigs

And as for the bug its not really a bug its only if you have a (Program) that makes and saves constant backups and if your

computer has only one HDD then the backup is being stored on your C; drive which is no place for a back up, So I suggest

that you hunt through (Programs & Features) to locate the software that is making the backups if this is the case, As I said

before I have worked on a computer that had 200 gigabytes in the %temp% folder alone not to mention the 3 other (Temp)

locations , Also defragging after will free up more space and should be quick since you've manually "Cleaned" by removing

duplicates files, empty registries and dead extentsions .

Acronis Home is on most W7 OSs and is a very good and free program, but also needs to be configured by the user so it

wont (Automatically) run and as long as the (Backup) it makes is not stored on your C: drive. you can check your 4 locations

on W7 for these backups x86, program files, users and windows.

I hope you find this information helpful, as I will check back.

TERM1NAL

I also recogmend using the Free Version of RegCleaner jv16 its a manual cleaner where you can monitor (Startup) programs (Software) and Uninstall

its RegCleaner 4.3 by Jouni Vuorio.

#4 Mary3

Mary3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2014 - 06:20 PM

TERM1NAL,

Thank you, I will try this.  I really appreciate you responding!

#5 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 3,755 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:10 AM

Posted 21 April 2014 - 07:18 PM

Reg Cleaners are not recommended and looked upon by this site as doing more harm than good, no knowing member recommends than!

If you don't stand for the flag then you will fall for anything!

#6 Mary3

Mary3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2014 - 04:55 PM

I just got my computer back from the "hospital"!  Apparently, my Kaspersky was filling my hard drive with log files.  Everytime I would make some room, Kaspersky created another log file and filled the hard drive.

I NEVER would have been able to figure this out!

Thank you for the time and effort put forth.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users