Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Best programming language for me?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 hummhumm

hummhumm

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:45 PM

Posted 21 April 2014 - 03:42 PM

Hello all! Here's the story. I've been fooling around with php and javascript for the past year now, i've started to get kind of bored with web development and decided to try at desktop applications. I don't program proffesionally and don't plan on working for a company. I guess it's just something interesting to spend my time with right now.

I've made small "Hello World" and "What is your name/age?" applications in c++, java, and python. I'm thinking really strongly about choosing one of these languages. I've also heard a lot of good things about ruby recently, escpecially its rails framework. It seems like c++ and java are more for the enterprise. I think python would be the best choice for me. It might also be cool to use since I won't have to worry about all the strict typing like I do in php. haha. I also felt like things flowed more smoothly in python than in c++ or java.

Do you think python would be the best choice for me? Again, it's pretty much just for fun. I'll probably try to make some cool/useful applications of my own. I assume that all 3 of these languages can pretty much get the same projects done and can probably do anything I'd want them to. It also seems like python has a large community behind it with many cool libraries and support.

Your thoughts?

Thanks in advance! :thumbup2:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Billy O'Neal

Billy O'Neal

Visual C++ STL Maintainer

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,304 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:45 PM

Posted 21 April 2014 - 04:44 PM

1. Pick something you want to build.
2. Choose a language which meets your requirements and makes it possible to build what you want.

Once you know 2 or 3 languages changing language stops being that big a deal.

Billy3
Twitter - My statements do not establish the official position of Microsoft Corporation, and are my own personal opinion. (But you already knew that, right?)
Posted Image

#3 hummhumm

hummhumm
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2014 - 05:26 PM

That's a cool perspective. I hadn't considered that yet.

Thanks for the advice!

#4 hummhumm

hummhumm
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2014 - 08:32 PM

I'm thinking about making a complicated text editor. Does this sound do-able?

#5 Sirawit

Sirawit

Bleepin' Brony

• Malware Response Team
  • 4,158 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:45 AM

Posted 21 April 2014 - 11:43 PM

What is your definition of your "complicated"? Like MS word?

Thank you.

If I don't reply back to you in 2 days, feel free to send me a PM.

“You’re lying… just like you were lying to me before. You have to hate me. I’ve been the worst daughter in the world… you should hate me.”

“But I don’t, Nyx. Because, Nyx, I’m your mother, and a mother will always love her daughter, no matter what.” -Past sins by Pen stroke.

#6 Billy O'Neal

Billy O'Neal

Visual C++ STL Maintainer

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,304 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:45 PM

Posted 22 April 2014 - 01:55 AM

Sure, it is doable. But it has also been done really well before. vim, emacs, sublime text, eclipse, all of the scintilla based editors (notepad2, notepad++, etc.), and more. If there's some feature you specifically want you may want to write a plugin or other component for one of these existing editors.

On the other hand, if you want to do something to learn how its done, doing a text editor may be interesting. You'll at least learn to write a lexical analyzer if you want to do syntax coloring or something like that.

Billy3
Twitter - My statements do not establish the official position of Microsoft Corporation, and are my own personal opinion. (But you already knew that, right?)
Posted Image

#7 hummhumm

hummhumm
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2014 - 10:37 PM

Yea, it would mostly be just to figure out how they work and what's really going on 'behind the scenes'.

#8 Slurppa

Slurppa

• Malware Study Hall Senior
  • 576 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:45 AM

Posted 08 May 2014 - 12:48 AM

Well if you are using windows I could suggest that you try C#. Its .Net based language and its syntax is very beginner friendly atleast on my opinion. It also does memory handling for you so you dont need to worry about deleting objects like in C++. This comes with slight performance cost of course but I wouldnt worry about it too much. Microsoft has developed few good environments for window application like Forms and WPF which make the job much simpler since they have graphical interface.

Link to good tutorial:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/67ef8sbd.aspx

Member of the Bleeping Computer A.I.I. early response team!

#9 capslocked

capslocked

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:45 AM

Posted 13 May 2014 - 07:39 AM

I'm also interested in C, could you recommend a good online tutorial? Thanks.

#10 Slurppa

Slurppa

• Malware Study Hall Senior
  • 576 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:45 AM

Posted 13 May 2014 - 08:35 AM

http://www.tutorialspoint.com/cprogramming/

Member of the Bleeping Computer A.I.I. early response team!

#11 capslocked

capslocked

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:45 AM

Posted 13 May 2014 - 08:43 AM

Many thanks for the link Slurppa, I'll have a look after work, maybe I'll be a C programmer after all  :bounce:

#12 scotty_ncc1701

scotty_ncc1701

• Members
  • 520 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2014 - 09:55 PM

I know quite a few languages, but there are a few things that other posters, didn't mention, probably just by accident.

1.  When you decide to learn a second, third, etc language, you'll need to force yourself to keep from "jumping the gun".  What I mean is that the basics are normally the same, loops, conditional statements, etc (the concept), but the syntax will be different.  But, if you were an 8/10 on Visual Basic, and you want to go to C#, learn the basics of C# (e.g. file access) first.  Don't try to get into communications programming (for example), until you have mastered the basics of the new language.

2.  The same applies to writing a "complicated text editor".  First get the basics, make sure they're working, then go to the next step.  Write down the functions that are most important, in the order of preference, get those done.  Then take the next group, etc.

3.  Finally, make sure you have good references for the language you're trying to learn (whether on-line or books).  When I went from one language to another, I was amazed on things that I had to write on my own previously, was now actually native to the new one I was learning.  Saved me a lot of work!

Best of luck.

#13 ryancody

ryancody

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:15 AM

Posted 20 May 2014 - 12:29 AM

For me, PHP is the best programming language to learn. It is easy and demanding. You can create informative forums, chatting platforms, CRM solutions, e-commerce shopping carts, e-business, shopping carts and so on.

#14 bunny03

bunny03

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2014 - 06:16 PM

C# (My choice) is the best. I don't like C because there's no class it's a old language to do complicated application it's perfect but new language like C# or Java are for me the best. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users