In our office I have a recently purchased Win 8 laptop (Dell Inspiron 15, Core i3 processor, 500 GB hard drive, etc.) which frequently urges me to update to 8.1 - free update from the Windows Store.
First off, I am having no problems adapting to Win 8. I use the desktop, not the Metro interface, boot to the desktop, have all frequently used programs (not Windows Store "Apps" <G>) pinned to the taskbar so they open with one click, and have the Classic Shell installed. No problems, no pain (at least so far), all very transparent and easy. In fact, I haven't figured out what all the fuss is about.
The catch is that the 8.1 update is a download of something like 3.4 GB, which will probably not work with our present ISP (Hughes.net direct satellite). We are paying for Tier 2 service but in fact our connection is often slower than my 48K dial-up at home, and subject to frequent interruptions (we go entire days without Internet connection sometimes, and the service usually fails completely by midday or early afternoon). Yes we are looking for a new service - which will be a fiber-optic relay, already in place and tested, now I need only get electric power out to the tower site (a disused water tower some distance outside the town). No telling how long that will take (our local power company is muttering something about two months, but there may be other ways to skin that cat).
In the meantime I am looking at download speeds of 0.1 to 0.2 Mbps, with frequent interruptions of service. How long would it take to download the 8.1 update under those conditions? I am thinking a few days, during which there are bound to be some long time intervals with no connection. I suppose I could use "Free Download Manager" which does a pretty good job of resuming an interrupted download.
If my arithmetic is OK it should take about 4 days of actual download time (at 0.1 Mbps) to download the update. The reality would probably be at least 50% downtime, a week to finish the download - during which time I have to be able to use the computer for work.
Question arising, is there another way to get the update? If not I suppose I will have to wait till we get the fiber-optic link going.