Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Upgrade to Windows 8.1?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 saluqi

saluqi

• Members
  • 601 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:31 AM

Posted 21 April 2014 - 02:47 PM

In our office I have a recently purchased Win 8 laptop (Dell Inspiron 15, Core i3 processor, 500 GB hard drive, etc.) which frequently urges me to update to 8.1 - free update from the Windows Store.

First off, I am having no problems adapting to Win 8.  I use the desktop, not the Metro interface, boot to the desktop, have all frequently used programs (not Windows Store "Apps" <G>) pinned to the taskbar so they open with one click, and have the Classic Shell installed.  No problems, no pain (at least so far), all very transparent and easy.  In fact, I haven't figured out what all the fuss is about.

The catch is that the 8.1 update is a download of something like 3.4 GB, which will probably not work with our present ISP (Hughes.net direct satellite).  We are paying for Tier 2 service but in fact our connection is often slower than my 48K dial-up at home, and subject to frequent interruptions (we go entire days without Internet connection sometimes, and the service usually fails completely by midday or early afternoon).  Yes we are looking for a new service - which will be a fiber-optic relay, already in place and tested, now I need only get electric power out to the tower site (a disused water tower some distance outside the town).  No telling how long that will take (our local power company is muttering something about two months, but there may be other ways to skin that cat).

In the meantime I am looking at download speeds of 0.1 to 0.2 Mbps, with frequent interruptions of service.  How long would it take to download the 8.1 update under those conditions?  I am thinking a few days, during which there are bound to be some long time intervals with no connection.  I suppose I could use "Free Download Manager" which does a pretty good job of resuming an interrupted download.

If my arithmetic is OK it should take about 4 days of actual download time (at 0.1 Mbps) to download the update.  The reality would probably be at least 50% downtime, a week to finish the download - during which time I have to be able to use the computer for work.

Question arising, is there another way to get the update?  If not I suppose I will have to wait till we get the fiber-optic link going.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Roodo

Roodo

• Members
  • 760 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:31 AM

Posted 21 April 2014 - 05:48 PM

If all goes lucky 4 hrs.

#3 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,015 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:31 AM

Posted 22 April 2014 - 12:50 AM

Are there any hotspots in your area, or do you have any family/friends with unlimited Internet service? Some hotspots are fairly fast, up to 15Mb/sec (1.5 to 1.7MB/sec), as long as many users aren't on. Local libraries also tends to have good speeds, get the download going & read some papers/books. The above is my download speeds, it took 45 or so minutes for the download, another 10 or so for the upgrade to complete.

Remember, you can also still use the computer while the update is downloading. It's when the actual upgrade begins that you'll need save your work & exit any apps.

Something that I always remind users to do prior to upgrading, is to create a system image (full backup of drive) prior to upgrading, as there's no 100% guarantee by a longshot that it'll be successful. Also be sure to have any 8.1 drivers for your computer, if there are any.

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users