Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Live Mail window does not show Menu bar nor Toolbar

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 zzzz

zzzz

• Members
  • 661 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:04 PM

Posted 21 April 2014 - 12:33 PM

I've just started using Win 7 and haven't understood the working yet of WLM.

In an info book on WLM it says 'if you don't see menus, click the Menu button on the toolbar - well I don't have that.

Also I have set up in WLM my other email accounts which show up. However I notice that if I send emails from them in their own domains or if I send them via WLM from the drop down menu at the far end of the address bar there is no indication of these emails showing in the respective WLM sent folders. Shouldn't they be?

Any advice please.

Edited by hamluis, 22 April 2014 - 04:39 PM.
Moved from Win 7 to Web Browsing/Email - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:05:04 PM

Posted 21 April 2014 - 12:44 PM

What version of WLM are you using?

#3 zzzz

zzzz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 661 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2014 - 05:18 AM

I don't know other than I got it thru Win 7 OS.

Under its Properties - Details, Previous Versions etc. there is no version description. Is there any other way to find the version?

#4 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 22 April 2014 - 10:03 AM

Open WLM.

Watch as it opens. The splash screen should give you the year. That's all I need.

#5 zzzz

zzzz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 661 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2014 - 01:53 PM

It's 2012

#6 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2014 - 02:12 PM

Previous versions of WLM did have a Menu Bar.

WLM 2012 does not have a menu bar. Instead it was replaced with a ribbon.

Everything is done through the ribbon bar. If you do not see the ribbon bar place your cursor in a spot to the right of Accounts. RIGHT click and then click on Minimize the Ribbon.

wlm-ribbon.png

I can't help you with your other issue. Hopefully someone else will be able to work with you for that one.

#7 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2014 - 02:37 PM

I've done some more checking. One thing you can do.

First, scroll down the list on the left side of WLM. Do you see OUTBOX? If so, make sure there are no messages there. If there are, the mail did not get sent.

If there is nothing in the OUTBOX, click the drop down arrow next to the dark blue icon.

Choose Options, then Email.

Click the Send tab to make Save a copy of sent messages in the "Sent Items" folder is checked. If not, check it then click Apply, then OK.

#8 zzzz

zzzz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 661 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2014 - 05:18 PM

Thank you for your input on my glitch.

Odd things are happening. Restarting WLM the date has changes to 2011 for a start!

The ribbon bar came as you said but this also happens by clicking Home.

The OUTBOX was empty

The 'Sent Items' folder was already checked.

Now the Menu bar and Toolbar was to access the most commonly used commands one needs to work with mail messages which presumably is exactly what the ribbon shows, yes? That would solve my initial query.

#9 zzzz

zzzz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 661 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2014 - 05:32 PM

Just an added point.

In the list of my other accounts down the left side of WLM there are numbers after 'Deleted' such as (2) or (6). I thought that these were the numbers of deleted emails I had in those folders but no! There were many more that those numbers suggested.

I have also just sent an email from one of my accounts in WLM to 2 others. They are not in their respective inboxes which are shown as empty.

I think I shall stick to Gmail.

#10 zzzz

zzzz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 661 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2014 - 06:35 PM

I figured out why the WLM version date changed - being near midnight and tired I didn't realise that I've been using two computers on this glitch which have different Win 7 install discs! 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users