Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Conversion from XP to Win 7 issues!!

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 KimFRUSTRATEDCincy

KimFRUSTRATEDCincy

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:40 AM

Posted 21 April 2014 - 11:31 AM

Ok...I had an issue with a monitor last week and this forum came through for me, so here I go again!!!

Migration from XP to Windows 7.

I performed the Windows Easy Transfer and have the folder(s) on my external hard drive.

I used Outlook Express as my primary email agent prior to the migration.

I ASSUMED my emails and addresses would be included in the Easy Transfer, but I've downloaded and set up my email address in Outlook and Microsoft Mail and cannot get any emails or addresses to import.

I'm looking for my old sent and deleted emails and my address book.

Am I completely screwed?  I've searched the Easy Transfer files for .dbx, .wab and other file types.

My understanding of computers has always been that if it was on your computer, it's probably still there, you just need to know how to get it out.  Is this possible???  I'm also looking for my internet history, which I was certain would be included in the transfer. 

I have not run the entire transfer because I am short on memory, so maybe I just need to know the exact file types that I need to transfer.

HELP!!!!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Roodo

Roodo

• Members
  • 760 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:40 AM

Posted 21 April 2014 - 12:03 PM

It should have by default. How did you upgrade? did you reformat the drive.

#3 KimFRUSTRATEDCincy

KimFRUSTRATEDCincy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2014 - 12:25 PM

My first answer is no.  I'm pretty computer savvy, but not to the point where I could reformat a drive.  I knew OE wouldn't be available with Win 7, but I thought I'd still be able to get my emails/addresses.  I know now what I didn't do was export specific files from OE, but I thought they'd be in the Easy Transfer or at least on my hard drive somewhere.

#4 Roodo

Roodo

• Members
  • 760 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:40 AM

Posted 21 April 2014 - 12:37 PM

If you didn't format the drive then there might be a chance the files are stored in windows.old

You might look for

c:\windows.old\program files

c:\windows.old\documents and settings\username

If they are there they might contain some of the information you need

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:40 AM

Posted 21 April 2014 - 12:38 PM

Click on the Start orb , then click Computer.

Double-click the drive that Windows is installed on (typically, the C: drive).

Double-click the Windows.old folder.

Double-click the Users folder.

Double-click your user name.

Open the folders that contain the files you want to retrieve, then copy and paste the files that you want from each folder to a folder in Windows 7.

You will be interested in reading the Windows Support article, this addresses the issue of importing the message from Outlook Express.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 KimFRUSTRATEDCincy

KimFRUSTRATEDCincy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2014 - 08:52 PM

Thank you to everyone...I was able to import all my contacts today!!!

Can someone now tell me the actual file extensions the actual emails would be?  I can't seem to figure that one out!

Thanks in advance.  This will definitely be my new go-to computer issue forum site!!!

Kim

#7 czarboom

czarboom

• Members
  • 608 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:40 AM

Posted 22 April 2014 - 02:55 AM

Did you archive any of the emails?  If so they are in .pst

Others are in .pst or .ost.  Depends on features and options as well.

CZARBOOM 

"Never Stop Asking Questions, Question Your Environment, Question Your Government, above all Question Yourself.  We all lose when you Stop asking Why?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users