Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Upgrading from Windows Xp to Vista Issues - Need help

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 htoniv

htoniv

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:09 AM

Posted 21 April 2014 - 11:18 AM

Good Morning everyone,

I was refered by a friend to this website to seek advice and help with my issues

Our company has a few hundred pc's that need to be upgraded to windows 7 from currently Windows Xp Sp3.

We need to perform the upgrade process as there is just too many applications and drivers for the different departments and thier needs

We formulated the plan to upgrade to Vista Buisness --> Windows 7 Pro. (This can be done according to microsoft)

Last week we have been trying to install Vista Buisness (32bit) on these machines but we have encountered an issue where the process stops at 64% on compleating installation, at this time the pc restarts and rolls back to XP. It doesnt necessarily state why the upgrade failed but rather to check with the upgrade advisor(which are not that great btw).

- We know these machines are capable to upgrade to windows 7 as they are windows 7 ready to begin with but were imaged with XP.

After removing applications and drivers one by one which includded some of the core applications we needed and our anti virus program, the upgrade still failed at 64%

- Then on Friday i took a 'STOCK IMAGE' pc out of a box brand new and performed the upgrade and i was able to upgrade it to vista without any problem.

So i am not so what is causing the issue with the other pcs, i suspect it may be with one of the windows updates that were installed on the other machines, if so i need to find out which one and uninstall it.

Has anyone else come to a similar situation that is able to help me out please?

Let me know if you need more details.

Thank You

-Vin

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 htoniv

htoniv
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2014 - 11:07 AM

Bumping this thread, still looking for some help.

Thank You

#3 Roodo

Roodo

• Members
  • 760 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:09 AM

Posted 23 April 2014 - 11:43 AM

What xp edition do you have?

And are you going from xp->vista buis.->win 7 pro?

#4 htoniv

htoniv
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2014 - 11:45 AM

Xp Pro SP3, and yes to Vista Buisness - > Win 7 Pro.

But the issue currently is from Xp to Vista, we are stuck on that point.

#5 Roodo

Roodo

• Members
  • 760 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2014 - 11:59 AM

If I remember right at 62-64% windows is installing drivers at that point. This could point to an incompatable hardware issue.

Whats the make and model of the computers your updating?

#6 htoniv

htoniv
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2014 - 12:16 PM

Thanks for your reply,

We do have a few(4-5) different model types, and we have tried with 2 different models before.

But currently i am trying it on Lenovo 7099-U2U( but keep in mind, on the first post i mentioned i was able to successfully upgrade to vista on a 'stock image' pc, which is ALSO the same model)

All of our pc;s are Lenovo's btw.

#7 Roodo

Roodo

• Members
  • 760 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2014 - 12:35 PM

The image I suppose could be an issue. But that out of the box pc also isn't running the same apps is it?

Is it the same age as the others just never used?

#8 htoniv

htoniv
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2014 - 12:44 PM

Correct, it is the same as the others but never used. With the same image and same stock apps we need for our company. 

We had some other apps over the pc that was being used, but have slowly uninstalled it one by one because we suspected that was the problem, but now its up to the point where its pretty much stock too.

We now suspect it may be some windows updates thats causing the issue,.

#9 Roodo

Roodo

• Members
  • 760 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2014 - 01:09 PM

May not work but try a clean boot then install.

Click the Start on your Desktop

·         Type msconfig  in the search box, and then press enter

If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, type the password, or click Continue. 

·         On the General tab, click Selective Startup.

·         Under Selective Startup, click to clear the Load Startup Items check box

·         Click the Services tab, click to select the Hide All Microsoft Services check box, and then click Disable All

·         Click OK

When you are prompted, click Restart. Now try running your upgrade.

#10 htoniv

htoniv
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2014 - 01:22 PM

May not work but try a clean boot then install.

Click the Start on your Desktop

·         Type msconfig  in the search box, and then press enter

If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, type the password, or click Continue. 

·         On the General tab, click Selective Startup.

·         Under Selective Startup, click to clear the Load Startup Items check box

·         Click the Services tab, click to select the Hide All Microsoft Services check box, and then click Disable All

·         Click OK

When you are prompted, click Restart. Now try running your upgrade.

We have actually tried this already, but no luck.

#11 Roodo

Roodo

• Members
  • 760 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2014 - 01:43 PM

Well I think id get really aggressive.

Update bios

Update all drivers

Remove all non essential programs (ie flash et al)

Run memtest

Remove drivers like printer

#12 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 6,998 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2014 - 12:02 AM

- We know these machines are capable to upgrade to windows 7 as they are windows 7 ready to begin with but were imaged with XP.

In that case, can you purchase Windows 7 install media (the 3 to 5 DVD set) to upgrade these machines? Or do you need the installed software left as is?

I ask this because upgrade installs are a 50/50 success rate at best, many of us can't even get our Windows 8 computers to properly upgrade to 8.1 w/out issues. Clean installs has a much higher success rate, especially if the recovery media with apps & drivers are there.

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users