Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

WiFi problems - Connected to WiFi but not to Internet

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Insp. Bumstead

Insp. Bumstead

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:45 PM

Posted 21 April 2014 - 11:16 AM

It seems that my WiFi Connection has suddenly given out.  It was working one minute - then not working the next.  Here's the situation as it now stands:

• I can connect if I plug a cable directly into the ethernet port without using the router.
  • I can connect to any other unsecured, wireless connection in my building.  I can also connect to the my mobile phone and use it as a mobile hotspot.
  • My devices can connect to the wifi network, but not to the internet.

This seems to be a router issue since none of my devices can connect to this particular wifi network, although they can connect to others without issue.

I've tried resetting the router, which usually works, and using the ipconfig renew and release, but this didn't work.

Any help would be much appreciated.

I'm running Windows 7 and my router is a TP-LINK TL-WR740N

Edited by Insp. Bumstead, 21 April 2014 - 11:20 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:45 PM

Posted 21 April 2014 - 11:38 AM

When You reset the router did You also remove the power from the modem, Then Power up the router first and then after a few seconds power up the modem?

Also When You say reset do You mean removing the power or using the hardware reset that most routers have?

Usually powering up the router and then once it is up powering up the modem works.

Also do not forget to set the Username and password in the router as well as a good encryption key. It also does not hurt the change the routers default name.

Good Luck

Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#3 Insp. Bumstead

Insp. Bumstead
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2014 - 11:50 AM

When You reset the router did You also remove the power from the modem, Then Power up the router first and then after a few seconds power up the modem?

Also When You say reset do You mean removing the power or using the hardware reset that most routers have?

Usually powering up the router and then once it is up powering up the modem works.

Also do not forget to set the Username and password in the router as well as a good encryption key. It also does not hurt the change the routers default name.

Good Luck

Roger

I tried doing the following

- Powering down the router for 1 minute and restarting it.  Waited 1 more minute for the router to come back on.

- Resetting the router by pressing the button on the side of the router.

- Changing the name of the WiFi network and the password

None of the above things have worked so far.  It's possible that my ISP has made some changes, but I can't call them until the morning.

#4 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:45 AM

Posted 21 April 2014 - 09:12 PM

Just a thought while waiting for Roger, have you tried using Public DNS server addresses such as 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 in your wireless adapters properties? Can you ping google.com or any addresses since you mentioned of a connected status while on wireless?

Tekken

#5 Insp. Bumstead

Insp. Bumstead
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2014 - 01:03 AM

Just a thought while waiting for Roger, have you tried using Public DNS server addresses such as 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 in your wireless adapters properties? Can you ping google.com or any addresses since you mentioned of a connected status while on wireless?

Tried setting my IP manually and using both of those.  No luck with that either.

Update: It seems that today I can't connect to ANY wireless connection, but wired connections still work; mobile tethering still works for some reason though.

Edited by Insp. Bumstead, 22 April 2014 - 09:52 AM.

#6 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2014 - 11:56 AM

Did You use those as a IP or for Your DNS? Try putting the DNS back to the previous setting.

I know You reset the Router. Have You also tried removing the Wireless adapter is it is a USB adapter. If not a USB but it is a internal hardware, Have You tried removing it in the Device manager and restarting the computer to let it re-install? If USB can You try a Different USB port?

What do You get when you type 167.206.145.20 into the Address bar of Your browser? What shows if You open a CMD prompt and type ping youtube.com ?

does it work?

Have You talked to the router maker? Maybe it is still under warranty?

Roger

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/

167 @ June 2015

#7 Insp. Bumstead

Insp. Bumstead
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2014 - 10:23 AM

The wireless adapter is internal.  I tried removing it and re-starting.  This didn't work. All of my devices in the current network can connect to WiFi, just not to the internet.  I remember that I was browsing the internet - and without warning I was connected to the router but not to the internet.  This has been the situation for about two days.

When I try to type 157.206.145.20 into the address bar, it says "This webpage is not available".

There is no response when I try and ping youtube or any other site.  I get an error - "Ping request could not find host youtube.com"

Unfortunately the router is no longer under warranty.

#8 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2014 - 10:35 AM

Hi, You have done a hard reset of the Router using the reset button. if You wire direct to the modem You can connect. This would seem to rule out the Internet not being accessible due to a modem problem.

Just from curiosity did You also try hard wiring the router to the computer instead of wireless? IE wire from modem to router and wire from router to computer? I did a quick search for reviews on this router and there were some comments about flaky wireless.

It could be time to try a new Router. Can You borrow one or do You have an older one that You replaced to test with?

As long as You powered up the router and modem in the proper order the only thing I can think of left to be the problem is the router.

I still have mu old routers as backup. I replaced due to being too slow with the upgraded Internet, they still worked.

Good Luck

Roger

167 @ June 2015

#9 Insp. Bumstead

Insp. Bumstead
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2014 - 10:47 AM

Connecting directly to the modem works.  Hardwiring to the router does not.

I'll try to contact the ISP and see if they changed something.  That could also be a possibility before I go and buy a new router.

Edited by Insp. Bumstead, 23 April 2014 - 10:50 AM.

#10 Insp. Bumstead

Insp. Bumstead
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2014 - 09:41 PM

Just curious:

What could be making my router unable to detect WAN settings automatically?

http://imgur.com/v4Jmsdo

Sorry it's not in English.  

#11 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2014 - 09:17 AM

Hi,

Are You saying the router is not detecting the Modem? That would explain the problem. That would also mean that the wired ports on it are also not working?

Are You removing the power from the modem and then repowering it so it detects the router?

What did the ISP say?

I did see where it is showing 0's (zeros)

Roger

167 @ June 2015

#12 Insp. Bumstead

Insp. Bumstead
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2014 - 01:40 AM

Hi,

Are You saying the router is not detecting the Modem? That would explain the problem. That would also mean that the wired ports on it are also not working?

Are You removing the power from the modem and then repowering it so it detects the router?

What did the ISP say?

I did see where it is showing 0's (zeros)

Roger

Hi, the wired ports aren't working and the router doesn't seem t be detecting the other connection.

Our setup is such that we are sharing a connection to the internet - A router downstairs is connected directly to the internet, my router is connected to that router, and is supposed to share the wireless connection.  If I connect directly to the downstairs router, I can get a connection, but I need o be able to connect via WiFi as I have several computers here.

#13 larryhyman

larryhyman

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2014 - 01:51 AM

How old is your router, maybe it's time for a new one (IMHO they only last for a year or two) , or maybe your router got hacked.

If you can't get it to work (no matter what you do) throw in the trash and buy a new one

maybe you should ask your ISP if they can provide you with a modem/router combo that they own and service

#14 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2014 - 11:31 AM

I think I see Your problem now that You mentioned Your router is not connected to the modem and is instead connected to another router.

In this Scenario You need to put Your router in Bridge mode, not Router mode. When I search Google with this line

TP-LINK TL-WR740N bridge mode

I get results. I believe this YouTube Video will show how to do it. If That still does not help look at some of the other links in the Google Search.

It looks like it is for Your exact model router.

Try this and good Luck

Roger

167 @ June 2015

#15 C03_M4NN

C03_M4NN

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2014 - 10:37 PM

Your router just isn't talking to the modem.  Depending on what modem you have, and if it has a built in router, it may be conflicting private ip's. The first thing i would do is verify the IP range in the modem, ensure it's set to dhcp. then check the router, and if it's the same change it, and also set it to dhcp.  Reset the modem, let it come back up, then reset the router (just a power reset will do)  Also if that doesn't fix it up, gimme a model for the modem.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users