Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Flooded by WerFault.exe

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 FattyXP

FattyXP

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:26 PM

Posted 21 April 2014 - 10:10 AM

This issue on my Dell Studio 17 laptop started Saturday night, during a recording session.

All of a sudden I have thousands upon thousands of WerFault.exe (Windows Error Reporting) each taking up between 300kb and 1500kb of memory filling my memory and making the computer almost unusable, and entirely unusable for Recording. The exe is rapidly opened, after only seconds of being logged in memory is at 99%. Sometimes it seems to stop, the memory clears down to 18% and process count drops. Lasts about 20 seconds and then it starts again. These are being run by SYSTEM and not the logged in user. Also I've checked the exe, its the real one and not a malicious program pretending to be it.

I've created a new user, has the same problem. Safe Mode does not pose the problem. Only Restore point available is right after it started happening. 

I've gone through the usual tech steps of looking through the registry and start-up folders as well as using AutoRuns, with nothing out of the ordinary. Process Explorer is unusable as it never loads due to probably never finishing scanning processes. No useful information in the Event Viewer.

I've also disabled Windows Error Reporting service, suggested by a few on Microsoft replies about the exe taking resources, but this doesn't stop it from opening.

Possible explanations:

A Client handed me a CD with midi editing software on it, Norton went off saying the EXE was infected with W32.Virut.CF. The issue happened directly after this incident. System was running and recording fine previous to this. I've run the Symantec W32.Virut Removal Tool and it said my machine was clean. Full Norton 360 scan has been performed as well.

Some weird bleep happened with my Stereo Receiver at the same time this was happening, it turned off and back on by itself (never happened before). Its on a separate electrical circuit from the rest of the recording setup. The audio interface is through a FireWire ExpressCard, and the Stereo is connected by RCA L/R audio cables from 1/4 to RCA adapters from the audio interface.

I'm at a loss as to what this could be. I will able to restore with some images I made after initial setup of the machine but I'd rather not sit through the re-install of what isn't included in the image. I also wasn't able to find a single thing even close to this by searching google, so I figured this deserved an answer if possible so future searchers can find it =-)

Edited by hamluis, 21 April 2014 - 11:07 AM.
Moved from Win 7 to Am I Infected - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 FattyXP

FattyXP
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:26 PM

Posted 21 April 2014 - 02:09 PM

Forgot about the "show more restore points" checkbox. Everything is back to normal. WINNING.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users