Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

temporary profile... again

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 millipede

millipede

• Members
  • 601 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:01 PM

Posted 21 April 2014 - 09:50 AM

Help...  this happened again 
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/524159/windows-update-messed-something-up/#entry3287652

I turned my computer on this morning and it said it was "preparing your desktop"
It NEVER says that.  And it logs me into a temporary profile.

10169312_10152154248428370_3049251688002

And JUST like last time, when I got to my desktop, some items are gone.

Last time this happened it was right after an update.  I looked, and no updates happened within the last day or two.  Definitely not when I shut down last night.
And last time this happened, I asked for help here and never figured out just what happened or if it was possible to get back whatever disappeared.  I looked things up and I did not find much help on the internet anywhere.
I found someone suggesting doing a system restore.  I was not even able to do that.
There's a part of me that thinks about reformatting my hdd but I have SOOOO many pictures and things I'd have to back up externally(which I know, I should do anyway) but that's so much work....  downloading and installing all sorts of programs, setting them up, getting things just the way I had them... so much work.
But more than that...  that wont help me to figure out WHY this happened and if there's any way to figure out which items disappeared... 
I hate when computers do things I can't figure out...  unfortunately... that happens......
"computers don't make errors... what they do, they do on purpose."
feels that way sometimes.
HA

Any ideas?
Windows 7, fully updated, Avast AV fully updated. WOT, NoScript, and other security measures to prevent bad things from happening.  Generally safe and well protected.  I do not suspect malware, I suspect windows issues.......  But, I will entertain any ideas at this point.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 FattyXP

FattyXP

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:01 PM

Posted 21 April 2014 - 10:26 AM

This was happening to me as well for a while. I would enter my password, hit enter and it would load into a temp profile instead of the one I logged into. I noticed if I clicked the arrow instead of hitting enter it would log in fine. I ended up doing a fresh re-install on an SSD upgrade before ever resolving this issue myself though.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,277 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:01 PM

Posted 21 April 2014 - 11:12 AM

Fix a corrupted user profile, Win 7 - http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/fix-a-corrupted-user-profile

Louis

#4 millipede

millipede
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 601 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2014 - 11:55 AM

Thanks.  I'm not sure that is quite the issue...

received an error message telling you that your user profile might be corrupted,

I don't get THAT message anyway.

Before you create a new user profile, try restarting your computer and logging on with your user account again.

I have no problem logging off the temp profile and back into my normal one.  By those directions, I'm not facing a corrupt profile... at least, not necessarily.
I like the title of that page... "Fix a corrupted user profile"
But those directions don't show anything about fixing the profile... it just creates a new one.
It also likely wont help with whatever items disappeared from the desktop.
I wish it was less time consuming to back up large amounts of data as I would probably restore the system with a disc image. 
Of course ideally it would be good if I could figure why or how this happened to begin with and fix that issue so it just doesn't happen again.  The last time it happened was a couple months ago I believe.  Why on earth would such an issue happen? and, why not more frequently.
I think I may run some hardware diagnostics and maybe check software issues to the best of my ability I guess........

#5 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,465 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:01 PM

Posted 21 April 2014 - 09:05 PM

Sometimes to much stuff loading at startup kills the profile loading process. I would get this doing a rdp to a machine that was running norton. Disabled it problem solved. How much system memory does it have?

#6 millipede

millipede
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 601 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2014 - 09:12 PM

4gb

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users