Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Remove Spybot 2.2

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 meandyou

meandyou

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:00 PM

Posted 21 April 2014 - 09:20 AM

I would like to remove Spybot 2.2.  I am using Windows XP Professional.  Should I uninstall it with the Spybot uninstaller or the Windows uninstaller?  If I start the uninstall through the Windows uninstaller I am asked if I want to restore or purge quarantin items. Should I do this?  I have not yet tried the uninstaller included with Spybot to see if it asks the same question.  I have never run the  Spybot immunization so it shouldn't be an issue. Once I delete the program I know how to find the Spybot folder and delete it. Thanks for any input.

Edited by meandyou, 21 April 2014 - 09:22 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,606 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:00 PM

Posted 21 April 2014 - 07:08 PM

How to Uninstall Spybot 2
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 meandyou

meandyou
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2014 - 08:14 PM

Thanks for the reply. I reviewed those uninstall instructions before I posted my question.  They don't address my my main question if I want to restore or purge quarantin items before removing the program.

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,606 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2014 - 08:27 PM

Without knowing exacting what Spybot detected and moved to Quarantine, It's difficult for anyone to advise you whether to restore or remove those items.

Generally when an anti-virus or security program quarantines a file (item) and moves it into a virus vault (virus chest) or a dedicated Quarantine folder, that file is safely held there and no longer a threat. The file is essentially disabled and prevented from causing any harm to your system through proprietary security routines which may copy, rename (usually by adding a .vir extension), encrypt and password protect the file as part of the process.

Quarantine is just an added safety measure which allows you to view and investigate the files while keeping them from harming your computer. One reason for doing this is to prevent the permanent deletion of a legitimate file that may have been incorrectly flagged (a "false positive") and placed in quarantine. This can occur if the scanner uses heuristic analysis technology which is not as reliable as signature-based detection (blacklisting) and can potentially increase the chances that a non-malicious program is flagged as suspicious or infected. If the file is confirmed as legitimate, it can be safely restored from quarantine and added to the exclusion or ignore list.

When the quarantined file is known to be malicious, you can permanently delete it at any time by launching the program which removed it, going to the Quarantine tab, and choosing the option to delete.

Keep in mind, however, that if these files are left in quarantine, other scanning programs and security tools may flag them as a threat while in the quarantined area so don't be alarmed if you see such an alert. Just delete the quarantined items after confirming they are malware and subsequent scans should no longer detect them.

#5 meandyou

meandyou
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2014 - 09:09 PM

Will this help?  Items Spybot has found are:  BurstMedia, Cashe, Casale Media, Common Dialogs, Cookie, DoubleClick, FastClick, History, Internet Explorer, LinkSynergy, Macromedia.FlashPlayer.Cookies, MediaPlex, MS DirectDraw, MS DirectInput, MS management Console, MS Media Player, MS Office 9.0 (Word) MS Office, Windows Explorer, Windows Media SDK, Windows, Zedo. 

#6 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:00 AM

Posted 22 April 2014 - 02:45 AM

If you installed 2.2 on an XP system, you actually installed 2 or 2.1, not 2.2, as this is a Windows 8.1 program only.

From the Spybot Home Page :
Spybot 2.2 was released mainly for people who use Windows 8.1,and there aren't many changes between that and Spybot 2.1,actually,so it wasn't necessary for users of Spybot 2.1 to update:
http://www.safer-networking.org/2013/new-spybot-2-2-to-support-windows-8-1/

Follow How to Uninstall Spybot 2 and read the link above for how to purge all quqrantined items - -

#7 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,606 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2014 - 05:16 AM

The detections found by Spybot appear to primary from Internet Advertisers which leave cookies on your computer.

Cookies are NOT a "threat". As text files, cookies are inherently harmless and cannot be executed to cause any damage. Cookies do not cause any pop ups or install malware and they cannot erase or read information from a computer.

Cookies cannot be used to run code (run programs) or to deliver viruses to your computer. The purpose of a cookie is to tell the Web server that you have returned to a specific Web page.

Microsoft's Description of Cookies

Cookies are short pieces of data used by web servers to help identify web users. The popular concepts and rumors about what a cookie can do has reached almost mystical proportions, frightening users and worrying their managers.

Do cookies pose a security risk?

As long as you surf the Internet, you are going to get cookies and some of your security programs will flag them for removal.

#8 meandyou

meandyou
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •