Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot Activate Win Xp Pro On My New Pc

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 novirusplease

novirusplease

• Members
  • 142 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:28 AM

Posted 20 May 2006 - 03:15 PM

I use an old PC with Celeron 400 Mhz-440LX motherboard which runs under Win XP Pro. I recently purchase a new motherboard M811 with Duron 1.8 Ghz (and new graphic card). How can I transfer the whole content of my old HD to this one? Of course, connecting the old HD on this new MB does not work.
I tried to install Win XP from the CD but it will not activate because the product key has already been used for the old PC.
I am sure that many people had the same problem, but I only realise now that I may be obliged to purchase a new Win XP CD-rom.

I tried a procedure mentioned in a German website which seems having "cracked" the activation process (Windows Product Activation compromised, www.techchannel.de).
I set the profile to a "portable computer" and "the computer is docked". I used the same Ram size (although the memory values were not exactly the same, may be due to the different Ram type?). I had no LAN card so I assume this does not affect the activation. I could not find where to hide the CPU serial nb in the BIOS. The case, HD and IDE cables the same (only substituted the old motherboard-CPU-Ram with the new ones).

Does anyone know how to activate this "already once activated" Win XP, or use the old HD with the new MB?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2006 - 03:22 PM

You need to call the Microsoft number provided in the screen that told you the activation failed, provide them with your valid license number and tell them what you did.

If you had a retail version originally, that will work. An OEM version installed by a computer manufacturer, for example Dell, is not transferable to a new computer which is virtually what you have.

You need to be connected to the internet to accomplish this unless you want to enter a long series of numbers they give you manually.

Edited by Enthusiast, 20 May 2006 - 03:29 PM.

#3 novirusplease

novirusplease
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 142 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2006 - 03:31 PM

I actually called the MS number but the person said that the Win XP version I have is an OEM, so it cannot be installed on another computer. I told him that the PC I used (laptop) does no longer exist (broken) but he simply repeated the same sentence again and again (like answering machine) until I just lost patience.
Guidance is highly appreciated.

#4 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2006 - 03:33 PM

The OEM version that came with your previous computer is non-transferable and there is no legal way you can use it on another computer - sorry.

#5 novirusplease

novirusplease
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 142 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2006 - 05:02 PM

That is what I thought.
I purchased a fully legal Win 98 in 1998, then I purchased a fully legal Win XP in 2004.
Win 98 was less powerful but much easier to manage in terms of PC configuration changes.
I paid for softwares, but it does not pay off...
Does any one knows if I can boot from Linux (master HD) and use my current softwares and files under Win XP (slave HD)?

#6 ThorXP

ThorXP

• Banned
  • 880 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:28 AM

Posted 20 May 2006 - 05:39 PM

This is a quote from the just previous post

I purchased a fully legal Win 98 in 1998, then I purchased a fully legal Win XP in 2004.

If he bought this Windows XP separately from the computer he owned I would think that the COA should be transferable by Microsoft. This was not supplied with the computer it was bought separate from it (here I go repeating myself)

I would suggest calling Microsoft back and if you can not get the person you are talking to to understand this I would suggest talking to a supervisor and make sure you write down the persons name you are talking to.

Remind then how much you paid for this software.

Edited by ThorXP, 20 May 2006 - 05:40 PM.

#7 novirusplease

novirusplease
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 142 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2006 - 03:43 AM

I bought these two version OEM in a bundle with a computer (Win 98 noname desktop, Win XP Dell laptop). As said, there is no way to convince the Microsoft people to provide a new product key to transfer the OS to a new PC/HD.
I fully undestand that they want to protect their business, but what about customers who suffer from obsolete PCs or component failure? Do they have to buy a new license everything they replace components?
In may case I already threw away two MB together with the CPU. Now I am stuck with my old 400 Mhz Celeron with Win XP (upgraded from Win 98).

#8 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2006 - 08:46 AM

If you purchased the original W98 system at retail (in other words - it did not come preinstalled on a brand name computer) have the original COA key number, and have the key numbers for subsequent upgrades you purchasedyou should be able to transfer this op system to your remade computer.

It may take some perseverence and going up the food chain until you reach someone in management that will be capable of understanding what you are telling them. They may also require documentation you should have such as copies of the COAs, etc which came with the original W98 retail installation and upgrade installation.

The key is that the original operating system was purchased and installed by you, not the maker of the commercially made PC, and did not come preinstalled by a name brand factory that manufactured your PC.

Microsoft has made this a bit complex by allowing oem versions of their op systems originally sold to various manufacturers to be legitimately sold along with parts to those who assemble their own PCs. I recently bought a copy of an OEM version of XP Pro with a Dell label and a valid license to install in a PC I built myself of component parts - none of them Dell, and while it did take an explanation to the Microsoft Authentication rep, there was no problem once he understood what I did.

If your Win 98 Op System came preinstalled by a manufacturer of the PC when it was new it is a different story - that is non-transferable to a new computer.

Edited by Enthusiast, 21 May 2006 - 08:59 AM.

#9 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:28 AM

Posted 21 May 2006 - 07:07 PM

That is what I thought.
Win 98 was less powerful but much easier to manage in terms of PC configuration changes.
I paid for softwares, but it does not pay off...
Does any one knows if I can boot from Linux (master HD) and use my current softwares and files under Win XP (slave HD)?

Puppy Linux works on a FAT32 system. As a matter of fact Puppy resides inside a folder in windows, when install on the same hard drive. I know you can see, moved and burn to CD Window file. This is a 62Mb OS with several programs built in. There is a version called Chubby Puppy that has Open Office interacted into the OS. This may get you somewhat close to what you want.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#10 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2006 - 07:15 PM

Do you still have the legitimate copy of W98? And the legitimate purchased Upgrade CD for XP?

You may be able to install W98 (and get the key number if you do not have it using Keyfinder from magicaljellybean.com) and then use the purchased copy of the upgrade to XP.

#11 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:28 AM

Posted 21 May 2006 - 08:40 PM

From Thor:

If he bought this Windows XP separately from the computer he owned I would think that the COA should be transferable by Microsoft.

No, because OEM disks are sold only with hardware. They cost less than a full version. Microsoft considers the motherboard/computer to be one with the operating system. See this explanation. Pay special attention to the replies where Microsoft wrote to Michael Stevens about the replacement of the motherboard.

#12 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2006 - 11:54 AM

When I bought my last OEM XP Pro CD I was required to buy hardware with it, but not a motherboard, which I bought separately. The required "hardware" consisted of a $2 mouse (which was a throwaway) and some cables which I needed anyway.

I had no problem activating although it did require a phone call. (The activation was done about 5 months ago).

The OEM CD has no OEM name on it other than Microsoft's, in other words, it wasn't a surplus Dell or any other major assembler's copy.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users