Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help! Storage Issue.

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 MAaronM

MAaronM

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:39 AM

Posted 21 April 2014 - 05:30 AM

Hi guys and girls and first off thanks for your time in even reading this and even more if you reply with some suggestions!

Ok so I'm not sure when this started happening but I believe (to my best memory) that it has something to do when I was playing around with switching my DVD drive and HDD. I'll explain.

So my PC setup isn't the cleanest and best, I'll be the first to admit it. I don't have enough SATA cables and since I don't really use a DVD anymore I just use them all for my HDD's and SDD. One day though I needed to use my DVD player so I unhooked the SATA to my least important HDD which is where I store all my media and used my DVD player and everything was fine. I re-plugged in my HDD and I THINK (I have to stress the THINK bit here) that this is when the problem first started occurring.
I found that the media stored in that location is still fine to be played however I can't modify anything. I can't create new folders, can't delete anything nor can I move any data around on that drive. However I was able to successfully copy files across to another drive.

When I try to scan the drive with the issue I get an error message stating:
"There was a problem with scanning this drive

Windows was unable to scan the drive. Close this dialogue box and then try to scan the drive again. If the problem persists, scan and repair the drive"

If I click more details the event log shows this:
"Chkdsk was executed in scan mode on a volume snapshot.  

Checking file system on E:
The shadow copy provider had an error. Check the System and Application event logs for more information.

A snapshot error occured while scanning this drive. You can try again, but if this problem persists, run an offline scan and fix."

I click close to that dialogue box and then try scan and repair which will stop 1/3 of the way through.
If I try to run the repair after the next reboot then it freezes at 46%, restarting the PC places it in an endless cycle until I press a button during the frustratingly low 1 second window to press a key.

I can see the properties of all the folders and files in the drive and security settings appear to be the same as the other drives not having any issues.

When I try to delete a file I get the error message:
"the file is too large for the destination file system"
And I only get the option to skip the file resulting in nothing being done. I also noted that in the recycle bin are about 8 videos that were originally from the drive with the issue and that they won't empty from the recycle bin either. Every time I try to empty it they re-appear!

So just to clarify it is my E: drive causing this issue.

My specs are as follows:

------------------
System Information
------------------
Time of this report: 4/21/2014, 20:21:02
       Machine name: AARONS-PC
   Operating System: Windows 8 64-bit (6.2, Build 9200) (9200.win8_gdr.130531-1504)
           Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
       System Model: Z68X-UD3H-B3
               BIOS: Award Modular BIOS v6.00PG
          Processor: Intel® Core™ i5-2500K CPU @ 3.30GHz (4 CPUs), ~3.6GHz
             Memory: 16384MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 16302MB RAM
          Page File: 2016MB used, 16588MB available
        Windows Dir: C:\Windows
    DirectX Version: DirectX 11
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
   User DPI Setting: Using System DPI
 System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
    DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled
     DxDiag Version: 6.02.9200.16384 64bit Unicode

------------------------
Disk & DVD/CD-ROM Drives
------------------------
      Drive: C:
 Free Space: 36.4 GB
Total Space: 114.5 GB
File System: NTFS
      Model: Corsair Force 3 SSD

Drive: D:
 Free Space: 334.0 GB