Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Consistently not responding - possibly overheating?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Stacheldraht

Stacheldraht

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:20 PM

Posted 21 April 2014 - 04:15 AM

Windows 7 Home Premium (x64) Service Pack 1 (build 7601)

Dell Inc. Inspiron N5050 

If you need any more information about my system, let me know.

A few weeks ago, my computer started to have major performance issues. After being on for a short period of time, everything I tried to do would be 'not responding'. This is essentially my main problem, but if you need more info, check in the link below

I originally believed this to be malware and posted it in the malware section of the forums here. After receiving some help, I realized I should have started by asking if it was possibly an issue other than malware, so I included that in my next post. In a response, the person who was helping me suggested I download SpeedFan. I did, and got results that suggest my computer is hotter than it should be. I asked if that could be the cause of my problem instead of malware, and I was redirected to this forum. So my question is now this: How can I tell if my computer's problem is being caused by overheating or not? If I can determine that, I would infer that it can be solved by purchasing some hardware designed to keep the computer cool.

Thanks in advance!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 11,696 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:20 AM

Posted 21 April 2014 - 04:47 AM

Can you hear the fan spinning?

A good way to test if the fan is working is to light a match and place it near the exhaust vent on you pc.

Try blowing some compressed air ( from a can NOT a compressor) thru the vents.

hotter than it should be.

How hot?

You might also try a cooling pad. They are cheap.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/USB-Laptop-Cooling-Fan-Cooler-Pad-Stand-Base-Cradle-Notebook-Computer-Netbook-/271299888011?pt=AU_Laptop_Accessories&hash=item3f2abbc38b

Edited by NickAu1, 21 April 2014 - 04:48 AM.

#3 Stacheldraht

Stacheldraht
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2014 - 04:55 AM

Yeah, the fan is working. It's about the same volume as it was when I got it about 1.5-2 years ago. I want to find out if my computer's overheating really is the problem before I shell out money for a cooling pad, but if they really are that cheap then maybe I'll go ahead and try it. As for the specifics of how hot it was, here's what I posted in the other topic the first time I ran SpeedFan: HDO: 40C (green check mark), Temp1: 56C (fire symbol), Core 0: 55C (fire symbol), Core 1: 56C (fire symbol)

Anyway, is there anything I can use as a test to see if the overheating is actually the problem?

#4 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 3,745 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:20 PM

Posted 21 April 2014 - 07:40 PM

Down load the "FREE" version of the software below it will tell you everything you want to know and a ton more.

http://www.gtopala.com/

If you don't stand for the flag then you will fall for anything!

#5 synergy513

synergy513

• BC Advisor
  • 1,018 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:20 PM

Posted 23 April 2014 - 12:47 AM

i don't think SIW is free anymore. it is a great utility though.

speccy is available in the download section.

Moore's Law : 4d Graph in Progress

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,827 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:20 PM

Posted 23 April 2014 - 05:07 PM

Please Publish a Snapshot using Speccy - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic323892.html/page__p__1797792#entry1797792 , taking care to post the link of the snapshot in your next post.

Louis

#7 Stacheldraht

Stacheldraht
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2014 - 07:08 PM

Please Publish a Snapshot using Speccy - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic323892.html/page__p__1797792#entry1797792 , taking care to post the link of the snapshot in your next post.

Louis

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/rhYuz8F0jFWkaQWRn75IrJ3

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,827 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2014 - 04:41 PM

I see no indication that your CPU or your hard drive is overheating, no sign of problems with hard drive SMART data.  The temperatures and SMART data summary are all reflected in the Speccy snapshot you produced/posted :).

Louis

#9 Stacheldraht

Stacheldraht
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2014 - 04:46 PM

I see no indication that your CPU or your hard drive is overheating, no sign of problems with hard drive SMART data.  The temperatures and SMART data summary are all reflected in the Speccy snapshot you produced/posted :).

Louis

When I ran SpeedFan I also got a temperature in the 50s and it had a flame icon next to it. Would that be, say, barely above optimal but nowhere near overheating? Also, what steps do I take now? I'm even more lost as to what the problem with my computer is and I don't want to go back to the malware forum unless I'm relatively sure it's malware.

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,827 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2014 - 04:54 PM

Temperatures...are not absolute in general...when trying to determine what is overheating for a given component.

In general...a hard drive in the 50s in probably overheating.  But a CPU in the 50s, 60s, 70s...well, you have to look at the suggested temperature range for that specific CPU.

The spec for your CPU is Here, with 85 Celsius being the max.  Average reflected by Speccy is 56 Celsius, well out of the danger zone, IMO.

Hard drive temp reflected via Speccy is 35 Celsius.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 26 April 2014 - 04:56 PM.

#11 Stacheldraht

Stacheldraht
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2014 - 04:56 PM

Thanks Louis :) So any idea what I should do next? I now have absolutely no idea what the problem is.

#12 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,827 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2014 - 01:37 PM

Well...I'm not a tech of any sort, so I try to limit the comments I make to "common sense".

You wanted to know with this topic...if your system is overheating and I say the evidence doesn't support such assertion by anyone that it IS overheating.

I've been wrong before :), and I could be here.  If I am, one of the more knowledgeable persons about these potential issues...will spell it out for all of us.

Now...if I was running Windows and the system was not functioning as it should...first thing I would do is run the chkdsk /r command...followed by running the sfc /scannow command.  That eliminates or confirms Windows as a suspect, which is where I would start before knocking on the malware or hardware doors.

Louis

#13 Stacheldraht

Stacheldraht
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2014 - 04:54 AM

Thanks to everyone for all the help, I really appreciate it. But at this point, it appears as if I will not be getting a solution anytime soon, and I'm going to need a functioning laptop very soon, so I've decided to buy a new one. Feel free to do whatever you see fit with my topics - close them, keep them open in case anyone else has the same problem, etc. Again, I really do appreciate all the help I was offered. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users