Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 9 or what?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 rozzer

rozzer

• Members
  • 250 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:11 PM

Posted 21 April 2014 - 03:45 AM

Hi All

I have a desktop with XP Pro which i love but understand the issues surrounding this now and I have a laptop with Windows 8, not updated to 8.1 yet.

I want to but a new desktop PC but not in a rush as the above suffice for now, but when i do would you advise I get Windows 8 or wait for Windows 9.

Secondly If I opt for Windows 8!!! will i only get Windows 8 or will they eventually issue PC,s loaded with Windows 8.1.1 etc as I see in the stores it's still only Windows 8 at the present.

Thanks all and a great site

Cheers Rozzer

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 hecantbreathe

hecantbreathe

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:11 PM

Posted 21 April 2014 - 01:10 PM

If you decide Windows 8, it's a free upgrade to Windows 8.1 so there's not much to worry about.

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,012 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:11 AM

Posted 21 April 2014 - 01:10 PM

The first thing I would suggest that you do is run Windows Upgrade Assistant to see if your computer is compatible.

If you are running Windows 8 you eventually will need to update to 8.1, without this, in the near future you will not be able to receive updates.  For that reason I would suggest going for the 8.1 upgrade.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 Soldierbane

Soldierbane

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:11 AM

Posted 21 April 2014 - 02:11 PM

Just as an aside, what are your reasons for running XP pro? Do you need any of the professional features of Windows 8? These include things like adding a PC to a domain, hosting a remote desktop session, and using BitLocker. Most rumors I've seen put Win 9 around second quarter next year which is a while to wait, and I would guess that it will likely be a cheap upgrade from 8 to 9. So I guess if you're not in a rush to get a PC for another year feel free to hold out, but if you want something sooner, and then want the ability to decide if you want to stay with Win 8 while MS irons out the initial bugs from the Win 9 launch then go with 8.

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,012 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:11 AM

Posted 21 April 2014 - 02:22 PM

It doesn't matter why they were running XP, they now want a operating system which will be supported.

At this date Windows 9 is "scheduled" to be released in either late 2014 or 2015.

Edited by dc3, 21 April 2014 - 02:30 PM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 6,887 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2014 - 01:15 AM

Many times the computer shipped with XP Pro, in later years, it was the most popular of the two main versions, as many downgraded from Vista Business to XP Pro.

In my case, it was my former employment. Ran Windows 2000 Pro for 6 years, so when I took the XP plunge, I went Pro, the same with Windows 7 & 8 Pro was offered for $15 & $40 when I bought it. Pro these days is considered to be an  enthusiast OS & MS pushed it as such, not necessarily a work one. There is a certain level of prestige when having a Pro over Home versions (kind of like driving a Lexus over a Toyota), personally on Windows, I'd not want a "Home" OS. The one PC that I bought with Windows 7 Home Premium, I grabbed a Windows Anytime Upgrade key to make it 7 Pro, at the time, to have XP Mode.

The main thing is this.

It doesn't matter why they were running XP, they now want a operating system which will be supported.

The OP mentioned having XP Pro, but didn't state anything about requiring a Pro version of a new OS.

There are computers out now with 8.1, being that's what users will need anyway & that any bugs that upgrade installs has shouldn't be an issue, it would be best to get one with 8.1 preinstalled. Though there hasn't been any official word, it's likely that those with 8.1 will get preferred pricing over Windows 8, 7 or Vista when 9 is released. If it's going to be released as an upgrade, 8.1 may need to be there first.

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#7 rozzer

rozzer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 250 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2014 - 01:23 AM

Hi All

Thank you all for your input.

I am aware that the 8.1is a free upgrade, however it is still approx.4gb of download and that cost money to download not to mention the inconvenience of resetting your PC and not even sure about the updates either? That's really why I asked if anyone knows whether or not it will be sold on PC's with the 8.1.1 complete etc (there is people out there who have limited knowledge about computers and all that they entail and they will really struggle) & I think that this is really Microsofts failing and should be included.

I Have done the 'upgrade assistant' route on my XP machine and it looks like I can only get Windows 7, however I really do not want to get rid of my XP Pro and I want to continue using it for my own purposes minus the internet, if I need anything from the internet I can download onto a flashdrive from my laptop etc.

As I write this reply I see a new response has arrived and does answer some of my issues and I now have a better view of what to expect.

I also will wait I think for the Windows 9 OS and check that out before going for another Windows 8 OS as from what I have already seen and heard it one of MS failures as far as OS go

Thank you all for you valuable advice 

Regards

Rozzer

#8 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:11 AM

Posted 22 April 2014 - 02:55 AM

Hi Rozzer -

You may need to wait up to 6 months for the full release of Windows 9. Windows 8.1 is (from M/soft) the final release of that version.

The end of support for 8.1 has already been given, and Win 9 is out later this year.

No Upgrade Assistant has yet been released for Win 9.

#9 TomH49

TomH49

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2014 - 05:50 AM

You mentioned buying a new Desktop, have you considered one with Win 7? They are still available. That should work for you long enough until MS gets some of the bugs worked out of a new Win 9.

#10 rozzer

rozzer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 250 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2014 - 09:18 AM

Hi

Thanks to everyone for the good advice, it makes a big difference when making a choice.

I think waiting for the Windows 9 release is my best option (after about 6mnths as mentioned) so thanks Noknojon for that.

Thanks TomH49..Buying a desktop set up is just my personal choice as i much prefer to work like that, I never really considered W7 simply

because I have  a laptop with W8 (actually it's my wifes) and I don't really want to go lower than that when buying again (Why am I then keeping XP Pro?) 

Well that is again a personal choice and i think it was one of M/S excellent OS and it suits my purpose fully.At The moment I do most of my work using MS office on my XP pro and transfer it to the laptop via flash drive if i need to send it via mail, I have 10 or more years stuff on my XP which I don't want to lose and I know where everything is at the touch of a key & until I am sure that a newer OS is better or at least as good as XP I will keep it.

Just to let you know that when i bought the laptop it came new with W8 installed  and I had to download 98 updates just to bring it up to date, and then it failed and I had to refresh the whole set up not once but twice until i finally got it right, so my love for W8 is very weak to say the least.

Regards To All & BC Staff

Rozzer

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users