Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Long running script.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Red_Dog

Red_Dog

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:57 AM

Posted 20 April 2014 - 04:44 PM

When loading a new web page a smaller box will appear saying long running script.  You then have the option to stop script or let it run.  Why does this happen.  Can I stop it, and should I stop it?

Edited by hamluis, 21 August 2017 - 09:10 AM.
Moved from Win 7 to Web Browsing/Email - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,177 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:57 AM

Posted 20 April 2014 - 05:57 PM

Welcome,

It sounds like something running in the background. If you trust the site, then maybe. If it's a new site, no way. In either case you can stop it. If that prevents the site from displaying correctly and operating as expected, maybe you didn't really need to be there anyway.

Keep us posted

Stay well and surf safe [stay protected]

Dick E

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,864 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:57 AM

Posted 21 April 2014 - 10:21 AM

IMO...many websites have scripts buil into the framework of the webpage...see Scripts .  Like everything else, scripts can be benign or malicious...but to expect all scripts to be malicious is a little out there, IMO.

Like other web-page coding...scripts can be poorly written and inefficient and may cause problems on the webpage.  A cure for poor coding has not yet been found.

Every now and then, I get one of those messages and my response is always to kill the script.  My thought is...well, if the website makes it a pain for me to visit the site...I have little reason to let some arcane script run that may not reflect any meaningful webpage content that I am looking for.

Louis

#4 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,177 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:57 AM

Posted 21 April 2014 - 09:11 PM

Louis said " A cure for poor coding has not yet been found"

So long as humans are involved I have to agree. Maybe AI will be able to help at some future date.

Stay well

Stay well and surf safe [stay protected]

Dick E

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users