Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Router Not Working w/ Modem

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Philonimus

Philonimus

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:37 PM

Posted 20 April 2014 - 02:20 PM

Hey everyone. :)

Information:

Make and model of computer: Click here

How the computer is connected (wireless or wired): Wired only

Make and model of Router:

D-Link DGL 4100 "Gamer Lounge" Wired Gaming Router

Make and Model of Modem:

Motorola SURFboard SB6121 (Wired only)

What type of internet you have (Dsl, Cable, T-1,etc..)

Cable

Service provider: CableTica (in Costa Rica)

My original thread from another forum: (link to original post here)

Hey all clear.png

I had a similar issue about 2 weeks ago, which you can find in this thread here.

So I have another issue now.

Everything was working PERFECTLY since I last posted here (~14 days ago)

Then, last night, the internet went out. I did some troubleshooting and I saw that the lights on the modem weren't showing 4 solid but 1 solid and one blinking and changing to 3 solid and 1 blinking. I power cycled the modem many times throughout a few hours time span and nothing changed. Then our neighbors internet went down, too. They had the same problem and identical beeping lights on their modem as well. So as far as I can tell, this was a very general internet outtage.

So we basically gave up for the night. Then, this morning, I saw that all the lights were working properly. I power cycled the modem again, and all the lights were still working! I plugged my PC directly into the modem and I got internet fine (that's what I'm using right now to write this post).

However, when I plug in my router to the modem and my PC into the router, I'm having a similar issue to before...

The internet says its connected, and then it drops off and says "identifying" in the system tray... then it says disconnected... and then it repeats this process forever.

Meanwhile, when ever I try to access my router during this time, it just says:

Please wait...
The gateway is currently measuring your network connection.
Accessing this web page might have an effect on the measurement.
This page will refresh shortly.​

And then it never fixes itself... this is the only splash screen I am able to get while I am plugged into the router, unless I unplug the router from the modem and keep my PC plugged into the router.

I have tried power cycling the router and the modem, as well as changing the DHCP to initiate a soft reboot of the router. Nothing worked to fix the issue so far. I figured I would post here before I do something crazy and mess it all up clear.pnglol

Any help is appreciated.

Just so you know, I already went back through this entire thread to see if I could find something that would help me from last time... and the only thing that I actually did last time that seemed to work was to clone my PC's mac address to the router. But it already has my PC's MAC address (I checked). Aside from this, everything that I did last time has already been done, and I don't see the point in doing it again.

Attached: minitoolbox result.txt

It's been about 3 weeks since this original post was made... and I still haven't found a solution. :(

I have attached the files mentioned in the post above.

Alas, if you want to just have a fresh start with this problem I understand and I will follow any instructions you give me. :) However, if you want to have a look at what we have done previously to engage this issue, have a look through the threads that I linked at the beginning of the post. The original thread is very long... the latest thread is very short.

Either way, thanks so much for helping me!

Philo

[attachment=149604:Result.txt] (fresh test w/ MiniToolBox.exe)

Edited by Philonimus, 20 April 2014 - 02:21 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,324 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2014 - 03:27 PM

Most ISPs only give you one IP address.  They lock the modem to the first device attached to it.  In order to change devices you need to power cycle the modem.

1. Remove devices connected to the modem.
  2. Power cycle the modem
  3. Unplug the router from power
  4. Connect router to modem
  5. Power up router
  6. Connect PC to router and test connection.

#3 Philonimus

Philonimus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2014 - 01:46 PM

Most ISPs only give you one IP address.  They lock the modem to the first device attached to it.  In order to change devices you need to power cycle the modem.

1. Remove devices connected to the modem.
  2. Power cycle the modem
  3. Unplug the router from power
  4. Connect router to modem
  5. Power up router
  6. Connect PC to router and test connection.

I followed this exactly and I got basically the same result as before. It will say "Verifying" in the system tray with the little spinning disc and then after a while it says "Internet" and then it drops off and says no internet. This repeats forever. I left it on for about 30 minutes to see if it would ever resolve, but it didn't.

To avoid having to unplug the cables from the modem (to reconnect to the internet) I am using my neighbors wifi for now. So the setup is exactly the same from when I was trouble shooting except I have unplugged the ethernet from my PC.

#4 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,324 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2014 - 02:06 PM

You can try resetting your router to defaults.  If that doesn't work I'd recommend testing with another router.

#5 Philonimus

Philonimus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2014 - 10:32 AM

You can try resetting your router to defaults.  If that doesn't work I'd recommend testing with another router.

Actually, I had to switch back to our internet, and upon reconnecting my PC directly to the modem, it was no longer recognized. Upon disconnecting my PC and power cycling the modem and plugging my PC directly to it again, it was once again recognized. So what you are saying about the modem only recognizing the first thing plugged into it appears to be true.

As for resetting my router (by pressing the reset button with a pen), I've tried that many times and it didn't fix anything.

I also don't have another router to try. We live in Costa Rica and we don't have any place to go to get one.

I've had these two devices work together without a problem 2 or 3 times... and it's a power-outtage or an internet outtage that seems to set it off course, and then I spend days of my time trying to get it to work again.

#6 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,324 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2014 - 11:57 AM

You may have to work with your ISP, but I can't answer why it works with the PC and not the router.  One other possibility would be to change the MAC address on the router to match the PC and see if that lets it work.

#7 Orecomm

Orecomm

• Members
  • 261 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:37 PM

Posted 28 April 2014 - 10:21 AM

When your PC connects to the modem (not router), does it get a private (192.168.x.x, 172.x.x.x, or 10.x.x.x) address or public address ?

If you can get to the CMD screen and run ipconfig /all and post back it would help to see what's happening.

It certainly appears that something changed during the outage (one solid light and 1 to 3 blinking on modem) that broke your configuration. 

#8 Philonimus

Philonimus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2014 - 02:15 PM

When your PC connects to the modem (not router), does it get a private (192.168.x.x, 172.x.x.x, or 10.x.x.x) address or public address ?

If you can get to the CMD screen and run ipconfig /all and post back it would help to see what's happening.

It certainly appears that something changed during the outage (one solid light and 1 to 3 blinking on modem) that broke your configuration. 

I ran the cmd as administrator.
Check the picture :)

#9 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:37 PM

Posted 03 May 2014 - 07:04 PM

Just a thought to add, can you check DHCP Client startup services is by Automatic default on computers which cannot connect to the modem? Check each of the LAN adapter Properties also and clear any (TCP) IPv4 Private addresses/Default Gateway under General tab - Advanced or Alternate Configuration just in case.

Tekken

#10 Philonimus

Philonimus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2014 - 12:23 PM

Thanks for your help everyone. I am way too busy and I haven't been able to reply often enough here to make any real progress. Now it is less than a week before we leave Costa Rica all together. So that means that we obviously won't have anymore internet issues, unless the same problem happens with a new ISP in the states. I'll post here if it does or start a new thread. Thanks again!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users