Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Most programs hanging instantly after being run.

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 FadeAolani

FadeAolani

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:45 PM

Posted 20 April 2014 - 12:11 PM

Hello *wave* New to the forums, signed up for this very reason.

For some reason my computer is not wanting to run most programs I try to start up. I can run Photoshop, Steam, my browser (Google Chrome), Open Office and most games, however trying to start up programs like Autodesk software (Maya, Mudbox, etc.) UDK Editor, Bitlord or anything else really, does nothing.

It appears on my 'Running Processes' list but that is about it - does absolutely nothing. After attempting to end the process from the Task Manager it sometimes disappears and sometimes doesn't. Still will not run a second time. Same problem after a reboot. 

Sometimes the program abruptly launches about 20 minutes later, however it is instantly not responding and has to be force-closed. 

Computer is only about 1 1/2 years old.

Specs: Intel Core -7-3820 CPU @ 3.60 GHz

RAM: 16.0 GB
System type: Windows 7 64-bit

Other than that programs seem to be randomly bugging or disappearing or uninstalling themselves at times... I've been told this is Virus work, however Avast! Antivirus hasn't picked up anything yet.

The only thing I can think of that might have changed was that I ran CCleaner a few days ago, but I did so because of this problem.

Help would be much appreciated. I am leaning towards a full reformat, though it's a bit of a bother -_-

Edited by hamluis, 20 April 2014 - 12:59 PM.
Moved from Win 7 to Am I Infected - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 SpywareDoctor

SpywareDoctor

• Members
  • 256 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:45 AM

Posted 20 April 2014 - 12:31 PM

To help and make sure it's not infected with some other type of Malware, (other than a Virus), you might want to download, install, update and run Malwarebytes (Free Version).

#3 FadeAolani

FadeAolani
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2014 - 12:37 PM

Have done so, cleaned some malware out. Hasn't changed anything so far, but I'm going to do the start-up scan next time I start the computer.

#4 SpywareDoctor

SpywareDoctor

• Members
  • 256 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2014 - 12:48 PM

Since it did find something else, I highly recommend having the system checked thoughly by one of Blleping Computer's Malware experts. Instructions here.

Mod Edit:  Disregard suggestion, moving topic to Am I Infected forum - Hamluis.

Edited by hamluis, 20 April 2014 - 12:58 PM.

#5 FadeAolani

FadeAolani
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2014 - 10:29 PM

Okay, so I'm likely infected with something that my malware and virus detection software is not picking up? Again after a solution that isn't a reformat, which is my last resort.

#6 SpywareDoctor

SpywareDoctor

• Members
  • 256 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2014 - 07:06 AM

If you're still having issues after getting the infections cleaned up, try Win7's no-reformat, nondestructive reinstall by Fred Langa before resorting to complete reinstall.

#7 FadeAolani

FadeAolani
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2014 - 07:11 AM

Thanks, I will try this tomorrow and get back to you guys.

#8 FadeAolani

FadeAolani
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2014 - 04:39 AM

I have done the no-reformat, nondestructive reinstall. The good news is, it seems to have fixed the problem!

The bad news, well... my computer is running really slow, now. As though it's really struggling with something, though nothing is coming up in the Task Manager. 

Edited by FadeAolani, 23 April 2014 - 04:39 AM.

#9 SpywareDoctor

SpywareDoctor

• Members
  • 256 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2014 - 08:25 AM

Hard drive maybe? The Ultimate Boot CD (UBCD) to CD has Hard Drive diagnostics (plus much more). Simply boot your computer from this CD and select the utility you want to run.

Note: If you aren't sure who made the hard drive in your computer, use Seagate's Seatools as it will work with most any make of drive.

The following instructions may prove helpful for burning the UBCD .iso file to disc: How can I write (burn) ISO files to CD or DVD?

#10 FadeAolani

FadeAolani
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2014 - 08:36 AM

It wasn't running this slowly before, though. Also, whilst the programs that weren't working before are fine now, other programs seemed to have bugged. Skype, even after re-installing the whole thing, only gives me a white not-responding box now if I try to open it. Realtek HD Audio Manager has disappeared and won't reappear even after re-installing. 

Who MAKES this stuff?! I am ready to ragequit. 

#11 SpywareDoctor

SpywareDoctor

• Members
  • 256 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2014 - 08:38 AM

What's my computer doing?

#12 FadeAolani

FadeAolani
  • Topic Starter

• Members