Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Chrome runs VERY slowly and outright freezes with barely any windows/tabs open

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 TKTheKid

TKTheKid

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:57 PM

Posted 20 April 2014 - 11:21 AM

Hi all,

I've been dealing with this pretty annoying issue with Chrome for a while now.  It runs extremely slowly and outright freezes with barely any windows/tabs open.  I don't care if I have 5 tabs open and one of them is YouTube or Pandora and that I have a couple of extensions.  That's not normal and it should not be running this slowly.

FYI, I already ran ADW and JRT.  It helped a little, but it's still happening.

Thank you!

Tony

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TKTheKid

TKTheKid
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2014 - 07:01 PM

Anyone?

#3 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:57 AM

Posted 26 April 2014 - 08:28 PM

Have you tried using any other browsers just to confirm the problem is a general issue? There have been instances were chrome works on majority of users but not on similar situations of yours. It could be an underlying problem with thermal events, slow internet connection or a hard drive issue itself.

Tekken

#4 TKTheKid

TKTheKid
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2014 - 02:04 PM

Have you tried using any other browsers just to confirm the problem is a general issue? There have been instances were chrome works on majority of users but not on similar situations of yours. It could be an underlying problem with thermal events, slow internet connection or a hard drive issue itself.

Yes, Firefox works fine.  It's so weird.  Chrome is practically unusable.

#5 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:57 PM

Posted 27 April 2014 - 04:25 PM

Have you tried uninstalling it and then re-installing it? It could be that the something is corrupted in the current installation.

Also, does it get any better if you leave Chrome open for a while? As a combo question, how often do you use Chrome? The reason I ask this is because my installation of Chrome will take forever to open pages when I first open it even when I only leave a few pages/tabs open (although on at least one computer, I do have a couple dozen pages/tabs open), but after some time it will work fine. I have realized that this is likely caused by Chrome updating itself prior to trying to open the pages as I currently don't use Chrome that much, so there is a rather high chance that it needs to be updated.

#6 TKTheKid

TKTheKid
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2014 - 06:39 PM

Yes, I have uninstalled and reinstalled.  It actually almost seems to get worse the longer it's open.  And I would use Chrome very often - all of the time as a matter of fact.

#7 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:57 PM

Posted 27 April 2014 - 07:18 PM

Have you tried creating another user account, logging into that user account, and trying Chrome in that user account to see if anything is different?

#8 sandy30

sandy30

• Banned Spammer
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:57 PM

Posted 29 April 2014 - 02:04 AM

Disable unnecessary Plugins and extensions. They can really  slow down the performance of Chrome and make it sluggish.

#9 TulsaRose

TulsaRose

• Members
  • 367 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:57 PM

Posted 29 April 2014 - 07:11 AM

Clearing the browsing data daily seems to help speed up my Chrome. (Ctrl + H)

Insufficient amount of RAM maybe?

Edited by TulsaRose, 29 April 2014 - 07:15 AM.

WinXP Pro sp3 \ Firefox, Panda, MBAM, SAS, SpywareBlaster

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users