Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Bing Search unexpected when Right Clicking on Web Page links

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 Castle Robin

Castle Robin

• Members
  • 170 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:12 PM

Posted 20 April 2014 - 10:50 AM

Firstly, should I retain or remove IBingSurrogate? to eliminate the following problem?

The situation is probably commonplace across several sites, but so far it's not appeared in Google, and only in web site searches.  It doesn't relate in any way to Bing as a search engine in a drop down menu of Bing, Google, eBay, etc.

I normally left click the following link then click on the individual option, but if I wish to have multiple forum tabs open to go through one at a time, it's quicker to right click.  It's at this point that I noticed this.  It doesn't appear to be a virus, but it's only occurred today::

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/

Search for "Spyware" with Bing - Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs

Search for "Infected" with Bing etc - Am I infected? What do I do?

The word searched for varies depending on which part of the sentence I right click, so the above sentences could change to:

Search for "Trojan" with Bing - Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs

Search for "What" with Bing etc - Am I infected? What do I do?

I accidentally opened two of the same BC link and discovered that Bing appeared when right clicking (while offline) but did not appear (while logged in).

Edited by hamluis, 20 April 2014 - 11:54 AM.
Moved from Win 7 to Web Browsing/Email - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,289 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:12 PM

Posted 20 April 2014 - 11:53 AM

FWIW:  http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-performance/bingsurrogateexe-is-taking-more-space-on-my/4b35cf6d-9b35-4916-8b4e-0994a980d110

Louis

#3 Castle Robin

Castle Robin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 170 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2014 - 12:12 PM

Thanks for the link.

Unfortunately, despite following the instructions and doing scans before and since, what appears to be some kind of Inline Bing search is still appearing. 

#4 Castle Robin

Castle Robin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 170 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2014 - 12:13 PM

After I logged out, I got this message:

The link you followed to logout appears to be badly formed. Please go back and click the link again.

I've not come across this before.

Edited by Castle Robin, 20 April 2014 - 12:54 PM.

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:12 PM

Posted 20 April 2014 - 01:26 PM

What browser are you using?

What scans have you run?

Have you tried to unistall Bing Bar under Programs and Feature in the Control Panel?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 Castle Robin

Castle Robin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 170 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2014 - 03:23 AM

What browser are you using?

Pale Moon 64 bit.

What scans have you run?

I've scanned with Avast Security Suite, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and Super Anti-Spyware. 

Have you tried to unistall Bing Bar under Programs and Feature in the Control Panel?

No.  I used Revo Uninstaller ("Moderate" mode) instead to uninstall Bing, but although it removes a lot more files than the standard Windows uninstaller, it still left behind remnants including the pesky "Search for ... with Bing" which appears at the top of the drop down menu when right clicking.  The bar and Desktop background were definitely removed, but not the pesky extra menu option which is easy to click on by mistake, as it's at the top of each drop down menu, moving what should be "Open Link in New Tab" directly below it.

I could try Revo's "Advanced" mode which goes deeper in removing files or "Force Uninstall", presumably the deepest removal process, but I tend to normally use that as second choice if a program is persistently stubborn to remove, eg AVG which came up with some prompt that I need rights to remove it.  I followed a web site instruction guide to change to "User/Administrator", which is supposed to but didn't remove AVG.  After a restart then refreshing the Program Files page, it finally got deleted.  I had previously uninstalled AVG without any problems before so am unsure why it didn't uninstall first time around.

#7 Castle Robin

Castle Robin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 170 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2014 - 09:57 AM

An update:

This is what is puzzling me -

The unexpected Bing option when right clicking in a menu doesn't apply to all sites.

For instance, I have done some searches in Duck Duck Go and no sign of Bing.

I can't work out if a virus is involved or why Bing only appears in certain searches.  It never used to, and being at the top of the menu, it's easy to click on the Bing option instead of the desired "Open Link in New Tabs", which was formerly at the top of the menu.

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2014 - 01:23 PM

There are to things which you can do.  First, open Programs and Features in the Control panel to see if  Bing Bar is listed there, if it is uninstall it.

Second, click on the Start orb, then type bing or bing bar in the Search programs and files box, then press Enter.  If it shows up there right click on it and choose delete and see if it can be deleted from there.

Please download AdwCleaner and run it.

An image like the one below will open, click on Scan.

adwcleaner11_zps48314883.png

Once the search is complete a list of the pending items will be displayed.  If you see any which you do not want removed, remove the check mark next to it.  

Click on Clean to remove the selected items.  

You will receive a message telling you that all programs will be close so that the infections can be removed.  Click on Ok.

When cleaning process is complete a log of what was removed will be presented.  Please copy and the paste this log in your next post.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#9 Castle Robin

Castle Robin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 170 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2014 - 11:11 AM

Thanks for your suggestion.

Here are the results of the Adw Cleaner survey.

Unfortunately, despite uninstalling Bing then checking the Start menu and removing the .exe file, the Bing searches are still appearing at the top of each menu when right clicking on certain sites, such as Bleepingcomputer, but for some reason only when Not logged in.

Having said that, to confuse matters, I have since noticed that links contained Within forum message replies (while Logged In) do display the "Search ... with Bing". 

All that's left now is C:\Program Files\Pale Moon\browser\searchplugins, although the Browser with Bing as a search engine never created any problems beforehand, so as far as I can see, that is not the source of the problem.

I deleted "HKLM\Software\AVG SafeGuard toolbar", as I prefer Avast, but I retained "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\S", which could be a virus but is also said to be part of Windows registry, so I played safe and retained it:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/mse-protect_scanning/what-is-hklm-software-classes/02fd8c9e-9e17-47eb-a702-9441f81b7b8c

# AdwCleaner v3.201 - Report created 23/04/2014 at 17:01:05
# Updated 22/04/2014 by Xplode
# Operating System : Windows 7 Home Premium Service Pack 1 (64 bits)
# Username : User - USER-PC
# Running from : C:\Users\User\Downloads\AdwCleaner.exe
# Option : Clean

***** [ Services ] *****

***** [ Files / Folders ] *****

***** [ Shortcuts ] *****

***** [ Registry ] *****

[x] Not Deleted : HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\S
Key Deleted : HKLM\Software\AVG SafeGuard toolbar

***** [ Browsers ] *****

-\\ Internet Explorer v11.0.9600.17041

AdwCleaner[R0].txt - [721 octets] - [23/04/2014 16:56:40]
AdwCleaner[S0].txt - [651 octets] - [23/04/2014 17:01:05]

########## EOF - C:\AdwCleaner\AdwCleaner[S0].txt - [710 octets] ##########

Edited by Castle Robin, 23 April 2014 - 11:15 AM.

#10 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2014 - 12:25 PM

You can unistall Bing.

http://onlinehelp.microsoft.com/en-us/bing/ff808335.aspx

#11 Castle Robin

Castle Robin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 170 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2014 - 04:39 PM

Thanks for the link.

Unfortunately there is no sign of Bing in Programs and Features, as I uninstalled it earlier, and upon checking a different computer, the same "Search for ... with Bing" is appearing on there too, even though Bing has never been installed on that computer at any point.

The only common link between the two computers is that both have Bing's search engine installed, as part of Pale Moon, but in past Pale Moon installations, there was never any sign of "Search for ... with Bing" at the top of each menu when right-clicked. 

Most recently, this menu option is appearing while on Bleepingcomputer, either when not logged in, or in links within forum messages when logged in. 

I've just cross checked with Internet Explorer, and oddly there is no sign of any Bing search at the top of the menu when right clicked in that browser, even though Bing and IE are both made by Microsoft. 

I can now rule out Pale Moon's Bing search engine as the source of the Bing menu option at the top of the list, as I've gone through all six Pale Moon drop down menu options and not even Bing produces "Search for ... with Bing" when doing a search with Bing's search engine via bing.com.  What I can't work out is exactly why this Bing menu option appears and how it got there. 

Checking further, it appears anywhere within Bleepingcomputer's pages (when offline), but just as "Search for with Bing", rather than specific criteria.  It must be embedded in the forum for some reason.

Edited by Castle Robin, 23 April 2014 - 05:02 PM.

#12 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2014 - 09:09 AM

How did you uninstall it?

#13 Castle Robin

Castle Robin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 170 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2014 - 09:58 AM

How did you uninstall it?

Through Revo Uninstaller Pro free trial version to increase the chances of removal, as the Windows uninstaller is fine for general uninstalling, but it leaves behind a lot more files than alternative installers like Revo, Geek, etc.

As a last resort, I could reinstall Bing then uninstall it through the standard Windows uninstaller, but the outcome would sadly be the same.

Edited by Castle Robin, 24 April 2014 - 10:04 AM.

#14 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2014 - 10:37 AM

You will need to delete Bing from your browser/s as well.

Post which browser/s you are running and I will post instructions for disabling it.

#15 Castle Robin

Castle Robin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 170 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2014 - 10:47 AM

I didn't realise the ongoing problem stems from the browser Search Engine in the drop down menu. :o

I don't know how long this "Search for ... with Bing" thing has been installed, but I only noticed it recently after I had my computer revamped and it's a constant nuisance when it appears, as I keep clicking on it by mistake when trying to "Open Link with New Tab", the option that was previously at the top of the menu, now below in second position.

I have Internet Explorer installed, but I only use this as a last resort due to the widely reported security risks.

The only browsers I use are two versions of one browser:

Pale Moon - 32 bit

Pale Moon - 64 bit

I look forward to your instructions.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users