Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unrecognized External drive

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 OldSalt48

OldSalt48

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:04 PM

Posted 20 April 2014 - 09:58 AM

I am running MS 7 on a Dell Deminsion e-520. My problem is that I had to remove all periphials in order to install a new video card and optical drive. I have two external drives #1 is a Western Digital 500 Gb SSD; the other (the one I am having trouble with) is a Seagate 1Tb Free Agent. The drive was working properly before I disconected it. Now when I plug it in my PC does not recognize the drive. I have tried to format it but after several minutes I get "Windows failed to format the disk:" no explination as to why not. After some manipulating I was able to bring up  a property view of the disk which showed it as full, listed the file table as NFST. I know that it isn't full. I have tried every thing I can think of but I am at a loss as what to do. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

When I pull up Computer from the start menu the drive shows up but there isn't a usage bar showing total available space nor space used. When I click on the drive nothing happens, the working icon comes up, is spinning, but nothing happens and I get Not Responding and have to reset desktop.

Edited by OldSalt48, 20 April 2014 - 10:04 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,196 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:04 AM

Posted 21 April 2014 - 08:49 PM

Hi,

What is the security product you're running?

Is the external HDD in question powered up and the USB connection in place when you boot the computer?

Have you tried a different USB port?

Sorry I don't have any answers but I'm trying to get a better picture of what you have and what might be going or or not

Thanks

Stay well and surf safe [stay protected]

Dick E

#3 OldSalt48

OldSalt48
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2014 - 07:37 AM

I am using MS Security Essentials, I also have Malwarebytes anti-malware, IO Bit Malware Fighter, as well as ThreatFire. I have tried booting with the drive connected, connecting the drive after boot, changing USB ports. I have also tried booting in Safe Mode with drive connected and without. I am sure the drive is operational my macine just does not regognize it. I did get an error message at one time while dealing with this problem that the drive might be "Read only". I do not see how that could be, and any attempts to check that any deeper have come up empty.

#4 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,196 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2014 - 07:56 AM

Hi,

If you have confirmed read/write access to the drive via another machine then I'd look at the state of the USB ports and drivers. Is the drive USB 2.x or 3.x?

Keep us posted

Dick E

#5 OldSalt48

OldSalt48
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2014 - 10:02 AM

That has not been confirmed. The drive is USB2.0. I have opened computer  mgmt. and tried to open Disk Mgmt. but after waiting 15 minutes it did not populate. I am presently working thru solutions from Seagate Support and will keep you posted. Right now it is looking like the drive partition may be corrupted, that may be why it is taking so long to poulate the Disk Mgmt. window. I will open that again and let it run while I am gone for a few hours. If you have any suggestions I am all ears.

#6 OldSalt48

OldSalt48
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2014 - 12:21 PM

I have followed the instructions given on the Seagate website to Delete Volume on the drive and to reformat. Both come back with an I/O device error and the requested operation could not be completed. I have no idea as to what I/O Device is causing the error. Could it be the drive itself? The Disk Mgmt. did populate and the drive is listed as RAW.

#7 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,196 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2014 - 01:48 PM

Hi,

It's starting to sound like a HDD failure. If it's still under warranty see if you can get Seagate to swap it.

Keep us posted

Dick E

#8 OldSalt48

OldSalt48
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2014 - 06:43 PM

Well I guess I have a $100+ paper weight. :scratchhead:   I downloaded Sea Tools for Windows from Seagates web site, ran all diagnostics and tried to erase the disk but failed. :axe:  If their own programs can't fix it I guess it's kaput! :smash:  I just got a flyer from Dell and they have a 1TB drive for $80. I may check around but it looks like I will have to replace it. I will have to wait till tomorrow to see if the warranty is still in effect, tried to check on line but got zip. Right along with all the other frustrations today! :crazy: :ranting:  Thanks for your time. I was hoping for a solution but I guess I am :deadhorse:

#9 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,196 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2014 - 07:32 PM

Price for the new drive sounds good. Price of a warranty replacement sounds better.

Be sure you watch your USB ports and match the drive to the port. 3.x and 2.x don't always play well together. If you do go with USB 3.x be sure your motherboard has the drivers installed to support it.

I think you have found your solution. Not what you wanted or expected but at least you have one and a plan to resolve the problem

Keep us posted

Dick E

#10 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,562 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:04 PM

Posted 23 April 2014 - 05:08 AM

I have tried to format it but after several minutes I get "Windows failed to format the disk:

Theres the problem. Its partially formated. I doubt the drive is dead.

GParted is a free partition manager that enables you to resize, copy, and move partitions without data loss.

The best way to access all of the features of the GParted application is by using the GParted Live bootable image. GParted Live enables you to use GParted on GNU/Linux as well as other operating systems, such as Windows or Mac OS X.

With this you should be able to see the hard drive and repair or delete the partition and create a new 1, First thing I would try is a repair to the partition table.

http://gparted.org/download.php

http://youtu.be/-sq3PBzplYg

Or

Download a copy of puppy linux and use gparted that way.

http://puppylinux.org/main/Download%20Latest%20Release.htm

If you need help With Gparted in puppy linux feel free to ask.

Edited by NickAu1, 23 April 2014 - 05:09 AM.

#11 OldSalt48

OldSalt48
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2014 - 07:22 AM

As stated in an earlier post I downloaded Sea Tools for Windows from Seagates web site. In the advanced secttion there were three options, Rename the drive (in case the designation letter was being used by another device (it isn't), shrink volume, and erase entire volume. I ran the last two and they both failed to complete. I will give your suggestion a shot, but I am doubting it will work.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users