Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Zonealarm Slowing Internt Connection

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 the doomed

the doomed

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:04 AM

Posted 20 May 2006 - 02:05 PM

Im using zonealarm on my new laptop , however its slowing my internet connection down MASSIVELY. any ideas? taking about 10 times longer to load pages than when i disable it. zone alarm free edition. xp pro. had simlar problem with pc, however ended up uninstalling it.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Elendil

Elendil

• Members
  • 660 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:04 AM

Posted 22 May 2006 - 06:50 PM

Unfortunately, I had the same problem with ZA free firewall and switched back to Windows Firewall within hours.
Stanford '14
B.S. Candidate | Computer Science

#3 rms4evr

rms4evr

• Members
  • 812 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2006 - 07:29 PM

Unfortunately, I had the same problem with ZA free firewall and switched back to Windows Firewall within hours.

You went back to windows firewall???? Are you insane???? I don't mean to be dramatic, but the Windows firewall is crap. A good, third party firewall (Like Zone alarm) not only blocks incoming traffic, but outgoing traffic as well. The windows firewall, on the other hand, only blocks incoming traffic.

"Why should I care?" you ask? Well, if by some chance you get infected with something, the windows firewall will not stop the spyware/malware, etc. from interacting with the infecter, may it be a person or a corporation. In other words, Windows firewall will let the installed spyware spy on you!!!! A third party firewall, however, will prevent the spyware/malware from reaching its host; the firewall will block it from "talking" to those who want to spy on you.

I'm not sure how to correct speed issues with Zonealarm, but I know of a workaround; install another firewall.

On my laptop, Zonealarm works great; I have had few troubles with it, and they mostly relate to updating, not how it works. However, when I installed it on my parent's PC, not only did the internet lag, but sometimes, they couldn't even get online! I uninstalled Zonealarm, and installed a new firewall; Sygate Free Firewall. It worked. My parents PC is running smoothly now! :thumbsup:

Here are some good, FREE, applications to look at:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic3616.html

Scroll down a little, and look at the "Firewalls." Find a different one, and try that one. Don't leave your computer exposed!!!

*climbs down off of soapbox* :flowers:

#4 Elendil

Elendil

• Members
  • 660 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2006 - 08:53 PM

LOL! I get this from Security Experts and MS-MVPs all the time when I tell them I use Windows Firewall. Basically, I've tried Outpost, Sunbelt Kerio, and ZA. In the end, they were all powerful and nice but slowed down my internet connection DRAMATICALLY. While Windows Firewall only blocks incoming trafic, I have several security layers to monitor my internal trafic such as Spyware Doctor's Network Guard, Real-Time Monitoring, Sophos's Intercheck Monitor, and several others.
Stanford '14
B.S. Candidate | Computer Science

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users