Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Error Comes Up Every Time I Start Up The Computer

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 teh_micah

teh_micah

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:08 AM

Posted 20 May 2006 - 01:51 PM

Help please? :thumbsup:
the error says: error loading: C:\PROGRA~1\NEWDOT~1\NEWDOT~2.DLL
The specified module could not be found. it would be really nice to fix this problem...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2006 - 03:17 PM

Newdot is malware.

Run both Adaware and Spybot Search and Destroy from safe mode, updating each program before you scan and allowing both to fix what they find.

If you do not already have these aps, download them here:

*AdAware SE: http://www.majorgeeks.com/download506.html

*Spybot S&D: http://www.safer-networking.org/en/index.html

Install them and then update their definitions files, then run them using safe mode.

Following that that I suggest you post a “HijackThis” log for expert assistance with your problem.

Read the pinned post in our “HijackThis” forum,
here
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/34773/preparation-guide-for-use-before-using-malware-removal-tools-and-requesting-help/
Carefully read and follow all directions explicitly.

Following instructions create a HJT log, and POST THE HJT LOG YOU CREATED IN OUR HJT FORUM – not in this forum,
at this link.
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/posthjtlog.html
Include the specs for your computer (ie, processor, amount of RAM, brand or motherboard, etc, and briefly describe the problem you are experiencing.)

Unless you are expert at editing the registry, Do not use the Hijack This program to try to fix anything by yourself as even what may seem to be a small mistake can render your operating system inoperable.
Some files when in one folder may be fine while in another may be malware.

A member of our expert HJT Team will analyze your log, make recommendations and offer assistance, walking you through the complete repair process.

It may take a period of time to get a response to the log you posted because the members of our HJT Team are kept very busy.
Please be patient as this team is manned by volunteers. They will help you in order received as soon as possible.

NOTE
Once you have posted your HJT log, please DO NOT make any additional posts in the HJT forum thread you created until you get a response from a member of our HJT expert team, and do not make any changes to your system (changes, including any attempted repairs, will make it different than displayed in the log you posted and therefore make your log inaccurate).

The first criteria they have when looking for logs that need replies are posts showing 0 replies. If you make an additional post, it will show as having 1 reply.
A team member, looking for a new log to work on might well assume another HJT Team member is already assisting you and might not open the thread to respond.

So, post your HJT Log in our HJT Forum (not here in this forum) and wait for a response from a HJT team member.

#3 just me

just me

• Members
  • 126 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:08 AM

Posted 20 May 2006 - 03:18 PM

NEWDOT~2.DLL is used by NewDotNet. It gets installed with programs such as RealOne, AudioGalaxy, KaZaA, iMesh, Grokster, BearShare, Babylon and Radlight. It is a is an InternetExplorer Add-on.

This is speculation but I assume that you removed something from your system and the NEWDOT~2.DLL was deleted. However, something in your system is still trying to use the NEWDOT~2.DLL.

I suggest that you consider posting in the HijackThis Logs and Analysis forum and have someone take a look at your system.

#4 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2006 - 03:42 PM

Adware.NDotNet

Last Updated on: February 23, 2006 11:04:30 AM

Type: Adware

Name: n/a
Version: 3.8
Publisher: NewDotNet

Systems Affected: Windows 2000, Windows 95, Windows 98, Windows Me, Windows NT, Windows Server 2003, Windows XP

Risk Impact: Low
detection
# Definitions (LiveUpdate™ Weekly)

February 11, 2004
# Definitions (Intelligent Updater)

February 05, 2004

This risk can be detected only by Symantec products that support security risks. For more information on security risks, please go here.

summary

Behavior
Adware.NDotNet is an adware program that associates non-existent domain names with sponsored content. When an end-user enters a keyword into a browser address bar or attempts to resolve a mistaken or non-existent URL, the adware redirects the user to a sponsored page.
http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data...re.ndotnet.html

It should be removed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users