Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

High Fan RPM at Start-up

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 HandyOrange

HandyOrange

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:56 PM

Posted 20 April 2014 - 06:02 AM

Hi

The case fans in my comp have started running at full speed when I start the computer up. It doesn't do this everytime, but it is pretty regular. Any ideas on what is causing this? As soon as Windows starts to boot, they calm down, but it can last around 10 - 15 seconds.

I am running Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Centre (fully updated) on a custom built PC.

Motherboard - ASUS PH877-M

CPU - Intel Core i5-3570K CPU (3.4GHz)

RAM - 2 x 4GB Corsair Vengence

Graphics - nVidia GeForce GTS 450

Power Supply - CIT 700UB (700W)

Hard Drives - 2 x WD 1TB + 1 x WD 300GB

This has been set up this way for about 9-12 months, and this issue has only started in the past month.

Any thoughts would be appreciated? Any other info needed - let me know.

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,123 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:56 PM

Posted 20 April 2014 - 07:18 AM

I would try reloading the board drivers, only take a few minutes might fix the issue.

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#3 housefinds

housefinds

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:56 PM

Posted 25 April 2014 - 08:20 AM

You can also try to blow air and clean the fan of dust. My laptop started giving me a fan error. I eventually took the whole thing apart after trying to clean it with just air and still did not help. Inside the fan was a big ball of dust stopping the fan from moving.  Didn't need to replace or buy anything but had to take the laptop apart to get at the fan. It is important to keep it free from dust buy blowing air into it occassionaly.

#4 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,178 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2014 - 07:15 PM

A possibility is that the BIOS settings for the fan control have changed.  Maybe you flashed the BIOS or maybe the CMOS battery is on the way out?  Have a look in BIOS under the relevant section.  They vary (I don't know your specific board) but often there is the option to choose quiet, performance or full speed fan profiles.

7sbvuf-6.png

#5 synergy513

synergy513

• BC Advisor
  • 1,058 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:56 PM

Posted 25 April 2014 - 08:50 PM

sometimes when power is lost completely, upon starting back up the case fan speed will rev so high you would think it was trying to displace itself. if it only does that for a few seconds and then calms down, i wouldn't interpret it as cause for concern. my old pc does that, but only after it starts back up after it is  unplugged.

Moore's Law : 4d Graph in Progress

#6 HandyOrange

HandyOrange
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2014 - 03:06 AM

Hi, thanks for your responses.

Been really busy this week, so only managed to try some of the solutions last night.
I checked the fan for dust ect, and removed a little bit.
Also updated the drivers, so I'll see if that works.

As I said in the initial post, it doesn't happen every time, so I'll use it over the weekend and see if it does it again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users