Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows updates will not install error code 800F0902

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Ziva

Ziva

• Members
  • 101 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:46 PM

Posted 20 April 2014 - 12:32 AM

I just got a new Dell Inspirion laptop with Windows 7 Home Premium Service pack 2. As usual there were several Windows Security updates that needed to be installed. Took two days to install them all. Or I thought all had installed. But after Secunia PSI kept insisting that no updates were installed, I checked the update history and found several had failed to install. All have the same Error code of 800F0902

I ran Microsoft Fixit tool, which said it detected no problems. But obviously that too failed.

The list of updates that failed are too numerous to report but here a few:

KB2909210

KB2656356

KB2789645

KB2756921

Most seemed to have to do with the Net Framework 3.5.1.

Does anyone have a clue how I can resolves this? Most importantly is my new Dell a lemon?

Thank for your time,

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 jcgriff2

jcgriff2

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 1,052 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2014 - 06:31 AM

Have you tried installing them 1-by-1; re-booting after each?

I'm not sure why .NET 3.5.1 is trying to install when .NET 4.5 is the current version.
Microsoft MVP 2009-2015

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,863 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:46 PM

Posted 20 April 2014 - 10:37 AM

MS.NET versions are requested based on the version used by developer when writing a program.

Additionally...critical updates may exist for any version installed on the system.

Per http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/db61f1a6-8d74-4014-957d-3bdc4d6525e5/does-net-4-framework-include-net-framework-20-also :

"If you have a modern Windows version, certain .NET Framework versions come with it as part of the OS. Windows Vista includes .NET Framework 2.0/3.0. Windows 7 includes .NET Framework 2.0/3.0/3.5 (through 3.5 SP1). OTOH, Windows XP does not include any .NET Frameworks, so you would need to install 2.0/3.0/3.5 separately on XP machines"

Louis

#4 Ziva

Ziva
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 101 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2014 - 11:48 AM

Hmm, thank you for responding. I read the link you posted Louis. If I understand it correctly I do not have to worry about the net 3.5.1 updates not installing? The update for Net Framework 4.5.1 were installed.

So should I stop worrying?

Thank you,

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,863 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2014 - 11:59 AM

If you have NET 3.5 installed...you should have 3.5, SP1 installed, as well as any critical updates pertaining to any installed version of NET..

Louis

#6 Ziva

Ziva
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 101 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2014 - 12:16 PM

Yes, the 3.5 is installed. In fact looking over the update history list I see that the updates that are marked as failed, appear again marked as having been installed successfully.

So I must assume the updates I believed had not been installed were? How confusing.

But I guess I don't have anything to worry about.

Thank you for your time.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,863 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2014 - 12:54 PM

:thumbup2: , happy computing :).

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users