Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Do You Believe In Life After Death?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
294 replies to this topic

#1 Darthy

Darthy

The red side of the Force

• Members
  • 1,217 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:16 AM

Posted 20 May 2006 - 12:53 PM

Hi guys
I would like to see your opinions about this topic.
My personal opinion about it, is yes I do beleive in life after death.
Why do I beleive in life after death? Because I think we appear at surface of the Earth not by a simple whim of the nature. And when we died, something that's inside of us remain in another sphere of nature waiting by the exact moment to return and begin another life in another body, because in my beleives, the future life is allways the result of what we have made in the previous ones. I do beleive in reincarnation as the only way for we have some justice in this world. Do you remember the movie 21 Grams presented in 2003 with Sean Penn? This movie show us, fake or truth, that when we die, in the exact moment of the death the body loses 21 grams of weight. I am a beleiver in the oriental philosophers of the Zen Buddhism and many other oriental philosophers.
Regards,
Darthy

Edited by jgweed, 23 May 2006 - 07:27 AM.

Εν οίδα οτι ουδέν οίδα - Socrates
Thanks John

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:16 PM

Posted 20 May 2006 - 08:53 PM

The loosing weight upon death is fake. Read here:
http://www.snopes.com/religion/soulweight.asp

I believe in life after death. I am a Christian.

#3 MaraM

MaraM

• Members
  • 1,717 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:16 PM

Posted 20 May 2006 - 09:02 PM

I personally don't believe in life after death, but that's not to say I don't 'envy' those that do. Gentle smile.

If I could choose one thing to believe in, perhaps it would be reincarnation - I read a lovely book about this one time and amoung the chapters I found the gentlest belief for those that had a baby die. It was wondered if perhaps a 'life' had died before it's time ... then this same life reincarnated into the body of a precious child ... and when the pre-alloted total 'time span' for this life was up, the child then died. True or not, I thought it was such a gentle try to explain the horror that parents must feel when something like this happens and they are left struggling for answers to 'why, why, why??'.

Many of my friends are Christians and I appreciate the fact that they 'let me go on my merry way' trying to simply live my life without doing harm to others - so I hope no one takes offense when I say that "if I'm wrong and there is a God, surely he will have a sense of humour and understand I simply did my very best".

Mara
Never let your computer realize you are in a hurry or just typing the last few words of a vital document.

While outer events might make one happy or sad, happiness itself is entirely internal, and at all times completely within one's power.

#4 DarkRaika

DarkRaika

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:16 PM

Posted 21 May 2006 - 12:56 PM

Yes

Yes I do believe in life after death, but I think the more important question is what truths do you believe in that are the foundation of who are are and what you do. It is true that the product of the things you do are governed by what you believe in. Therefore if you are ever wondering weither or not there is life after death or what you believe in, in general all you have to do is look at the things you do in your life.

DR

Edited by DarkRaika, 21 May 2006 - 01:03 PM.

31337 is a prime number .... 1337 is not .... go figure!

#5 DarkRaika

DarkRaika

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:16 PM

Posted 21 May 2006 - 01:12 PM

I guess you could say the point I am attempting to make here is that doing what you believe is true based on what your conscience is telling you is really the best you can do. At different points in time through out history it has shown that people in general do what they think is right, when most others think their actions are wrong. This is usually a sign of one being aware of of something that someone else is not. In those situations the best thing to do is not to judge that individual but to acknowledge their existence by accepting what they believe.

Is it not true that from time to time in life what we believe changes according to the things we learn and experience in life?

I was told once Wisdom is not meant to be spewed, but nurtured and experienced.

This is one of the best pieces of knowledge I have ever gained in my life, we learn much better from people demonstrating how things should be done than being told.

How grand is life.

DR

31337 is a prime number .... 1337 is not .... go figure!

#6 MaraM

MaraM

• Members
  • 1,717 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:16 PM

Posted 21 May 2006 - 01:20 PM

Beautifully said, DarkRaika!

Kind thoughts,
Mara
Never let your computer realize you are in a hurry or just typing the last few words of a vital document.

While outer events might make one happy or sad, happiness itself is entirely internal, and at all times completely within one's power.

#7 Heretic Monkey

Heretic Monkey

• Members
  • 1,122 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2006 - 01:28 PM

I'm with Mara on this one. I don't believe in life after death, but if something were to happen, i would hope i'd be re-incarnated..... hopefully as a cat with the life my felines have in my house now...... damn, that'd be sweet.

If it turns out there's a god, and i meet him and shake his hand, i'd love to be able to ask him why me and mahatma ghandi are going to hell, regardless of the lack of any bad things we've done (not that i'm comparing myself to ghandi...)

Edited by Heretic Monkey, 21 May 2006 - 01:28 PM.

#8 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:16 PM

Posted 21 May 2006 - 02:03 PM

Just curious HM, why is it that you think that Mahatma Ghandi is going to hell?

I do believe in life after death myself. Cant explain it, I go by faith.

Edited by Scarlett, 21 May 2006 - 02:07 PM.

Posted Image

#9 Heretic Monkey

Heretic Monkey

• Members
  • 1,122 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2006 - 02:37 PM

Because he wasn't christian, he was hindu. I could say the same thing about Sidhatta Gotama (founder of buddhism), or any non-christian that lived a completely "sin-free" life (by the standards of xians). I've always heard that "you have to accept christ, believe in god, blah blah" to be accepted into heaven.

#10 ryan_w_quick

ryan_w_quick

• Members
  • 488 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2006 - 09:07 PM

Because he wasn't christian, he was hindu. I could say the same thing about Sidhatta Gotama (founder of buddhism), or any non-christian that lived a completely "sin-free" life (by the standards of xians). I've always heard that "you have to accept christ, believe in god, blah blah" to be accepted into heaven.

But you are assuming the Christian teachings are correct, which I don't usually hear from you, Heretic Monkey.
"To do less than your best is to sacrifice the gift." Steve Prefontaine

"The things you own end up owning you." Tyler Durden

"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same god who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forgo their use." Galileo

#11 Heretic Monkey

Heretic Monkey

• Members
  • 1,122 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2006 - 09:19 PM

But you are assuming the Christian teachings are correct, which I don't usually hear from you, Heretic Monkey.

Isn't heaven a largely christian idea?

I said "IF" god exists, and if i get to him, i'll ask him that....

Edited by Heretic Monkey, 21 May 2006 - 09:20 PM.

#12 locally pwned

locally pwned

• Members
  • 489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:16 PM

Posted 23 May 2006 - 06:54 AM

Many of my friends are Christians and I appreciate the fact that they 'let me go on my merry way' trying to simply live my life without doing harm to others - so I hope no one takes offense when I say that "if I'm wrong and there is a God, surely he will have a sense of humour and understand I simply did my very best".

That's my attitude as well. The way I look at it is this: If some form of god exists, and I was created by this being, then this creator also gave me the brain with which I try to better understand the world around me. So when I die and have my chat with this creator, you would think he/she/it would understand my point of view better than I do and take this into consideration.

On the other hand: if by questioning the world around me in the only way I know how, with the brain I was born with, I am damned...my only conclusion is that I simply should not have existed in the first place.

Now, to strictly adhere to the topic at hand ( :thumbsup: ): of all I have learned of history, world religions, culture, society...of science, of the behavior of the universe...of all of my own personal experiences...I would conclude at this point in time that in all probability there is no life after death; we are but mortal creatures who share the planet with a multitude of others like us.

I would go further and suggest that consciousness is, in a way, a self-contained universe. The only way to make a measurement is through comparison; to compare death to life would require a similar consciousness and awareness that exists in both. But if consciousness is only a result of the curious arrangement of molecules in which we exist, then this awareness ceases to exist when life ends. Therefore, to know what it is like to be dead would be comparable to remembering a time before you were born.

Edited by locally pwned, 23 May 2006 - 06:57 AM.

"The whole of science is nothing more than a refinement of everyday thinking." - Albert Einstein

"The world is my country, all mankind are my brethren, and to do good is my religion." - Thomas Paine

"If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, we have at least to consider the possibility that we have a small aquatic bird of the family anatidae on our hands." - Douglas Adams

#13 Toyoden

Toyoden

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:16 AM

Posted 23 May 2006 - 08:55 AM

Ahh another thought provoking subject? For me, the only life after death as a Christian is when Jesus returns, then and only then, we will all be judged, believe it or not, is up to each individual.
Hopefully on Judgement day God will see through most of our faults, failures etc, and let the worthy ones in.
Death is just a fraction of time as is life, when we die and as the Scriptures say, Jesus will return with the angels to wreak havoc on the evil doers and idoloters, and on that day we will either get to heaven or well that is another matter, until Jesus returns as death takes us, we sleep, yet we see and hear of ghosts around us, leading to the assumption there is life after death. As they say never ASSUME anything because you will make an ASS out of U and ME.
Guess we will just have to wait and see, I walk in Faith not by sight

#14 Heretic Monkey

Heretic Monkey

• Members
  • 1,122 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2006 - 11:09 AM

I think after death we return to the same state we were before birth. The problem comes from the idea that our consciousness "disappears". We have no problem believing we were nothing before birth, so why would people have a problem in thinking that we return to nothing at death?

Edited by Heretic Monkey, 23 May 2006 - 11:10 AM.

#15 Pandy

Pandy

Bleepin'

• Members
  • 9,559 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2006 - 02:24 PM

This is a very interesting thread. LOL

Yes, I do believe in life after death. Due to something I experienced once.. yes.. I do believe that there must be life after death. It's the only way I can explain what happened to me.

Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight.

Hide not your talents. They for use were made. What's a sundial in the shade?

~ Benjamin Franklin

I am a Bleeping Computer fan! Are you?

Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users