Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help installing Windows 7 (leaving XP)

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 saxdragon

saxdragon

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:39 PM

Posted 20 April 2014 - 12:14 AM

I bought a copy of Windows 7 off a vendor on eBay.  I've been trying to install it for a week now.  In the meantime, i think my machine has gotten infected.  It has 3 hard drives in it.  Two of them are infected, i think.  I've disconnected all but one of them.  I also bought a new one.  I've tried installing over Windows XP SP3, XP SP2, and over a  brand new drive with no OS on it.  After that failed, I installed a new copy of Windows XP and tried to install Win7.  Fail.  Took that drive out and put in an older one, wiped the partition and tried to install Win7. Fail. Installed XP, then tried again.  Got halfway through the installation process and the machine rebooted, and wouldn't go any farther, although it gave me the choice of restarting with a previous version of Windows.  After trying several times to employ the option of resuming the installation (using both options of starting from the CDROM or the Hard Drive), it only went as far as a screen that said it was installing and then freezing.  I think I've tried every way of installing it (both 64 and 32 bit versions).  What is wrong?  I'd love some advice...anecdotal, scholarly, or other.  Thank you.

Some questions:

Do i have to be connected to the internet while installing?

Can you install on a Hard Drive that has no OS loaded?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 saxdragon

saxdragon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2014 - 12:19 AM

I should have mentioned the version I'm trying to install is Windows 7 Professional.  My machine is a custom-built PC with 64-bit capability.  2.75 GHz dual CPU, 4 GB memory.

#3 czarboom

czarboom

• Members
  • 608 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:39 PM

Posted 20 April 2014 - 12:33 AM

Do i have to be connected to the internet while installing?

Can you install on a Hard Drive that has no OS loaded?

In order of you're asking of them.

It does help to be connected to the internet, but you do not HAVE to be. 

Yes, you can install on any NTFS hard drive that meets the min. requirements for Windows 7 but only with a Clean Install.

=============================================================================

First I would go back to Windows XP. 

• Download all the updates and patches for all programs, and hardware for XP.  Meaning Windows updates, service pack 3, and go to your computers manufactures website and get all the new drivers they offer for your machine.
  • Next, make a NEW Recovery disk and backup

Microsoft has a How To Guide for going from XP to Windows 7.  Click here for the site.

Microsoft states that for a regular upgrade (meaning putting your disk in and it does the rest) you have to first upgrade to Vista.  But the link I provided has all the different ways and options to go from XP to Windows 7.

If you still need help understanding the guide, or its still not working I will follow this topic for a few days. 

Hope this Helps.

CZARBOOM 

"Never Stop Asking Questions, Question Your Environment, Question Your Government, above all Question Yourself.  We all lose when you Stop asking Why?

#4 saxdragon

saxdragon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2014 - 09:14 PM

Thanks very much.  I was hoping to avoid the tedious labor of getting new drivers, but if that's what i gotta do...!

Your help's much appreciated.

#5 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,613 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2014 - 10:06 PM

Also run your anti-malware programs to make sure your drives are clean and including the anti-root disk  

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/virus-removal/how-to-use-malwarebytes-anti-rootkit

--- Do you know whether or not all 3 disks were clean before you started?

I don't like to speculate, but are you sure that Win7 install disc is safe?

#6 saxdragon

saxdragon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2014 - 07:16 PM

I only have the vendors word that the installation disks are clean. 

I suspect that two of my internal hard drives may have been infected.  But the one I've been trying to install ontol has had it's system partition wiped by Partition Wizard.  That disk still had 74 MB of unallocated space on it 1 which hasn't been wiped.  BUT i had no luck with a brand new 1 TB disk i went out and bought just for the purpose of installing Windows 7.  I tried installing Win7 to that disk but it wouldn't do it.  I then installed a clean version of Win XP onto that drive and tried to install Win7 on top of that.  But it didn't have Service Pack 3, which may have had something to do with it not working.

What if I wiped that 1 TB drive, then tried again to install Win7 on it?  I'd have to boot from the installation disk, and i seem to remember that was the problem.  The computer booted, but there was nothing on the monitor screen.  I tried it so many different ways that it's hard to remember what happened when!

Thanks for your suggestions!

SCB

#7 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,049 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2014 - 07:29 PM

IMO I would format all the drives, better yet got to the drive venders sites and get their "write -0-" program to completely clean the drives. 

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#8 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,613 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2014 - 10:09 PM

I'm in the same camp now as Old Phil. All of those drives need to be clean and as good as new

czarboom mentioned, "It does help to be connected to the internet, but you do not HAVE to be"

--- I suspect he prefers you be connected to the internet and so do I. I believe the install is more seamless IMO 

--- I just did a Win7 install on my friends Vista computer and I used a wireless PCI card I had just in case there would have been a problem with his internet connection for whatever reason

------ After the install, I did all of the Windows Updates, removed my wireless PCI card, connected his Ethernet cable and his computer ran fine

--- On another computer Win7 install, I used a USB wireless adapter for the same reason

------ From now on I will be using this USB wireless adapter as it's so easy to use

The reason I use the USB wireless adapter up front is to avoid internet connection problems which I have read about in some posts

#9 czarboom

czarboom

• Members
  • 608 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:39 PM

Posted 22 April 2014 - 02:41 AM

Yes, you will have to go to SP3 and have all the installed updates needed.  Sometimes you don’t, but with a system that is a few years old you should.  It’s always good practice to

• get all updates, and patches
  • do a backup and recovery disc
  • get all vendor updates for hard ware
  • read twice and click once

I say this because I spent years updating medical equipment in Linux and shell versions of windows, and if you follow that, 95% of the time it works really well. 

Vista to Win 7 is super flawless.  But you have to do I regular install before a clean install.  I just went through this, Vista has to be present for Win 7 update to work, I assume that is due to Windows 7 use of Vista as its base.  But, after you do a regular install, you can do a clean one after that.  Still not 100% sure why I can think of one reason and that is the change of services and process handling from XP and Vista.  Eg, items like svchosts.exe, or taskhosts.exe. 

Also, I no matter what you do, you cannot get windows 7 to work to a new HD without having vista on there first.  So to be clear

• From SP3 XP, the update will install a base Vista, then Windows 7.  You won’t know the difference.
  • Microsoft might have preinstalled Windows 7 HDs, but I don’t think they would.

That being the case also make sure your product key is the one off your current device, unless you were given a new one, this does help a lot.  Not with Office though, you have to call Microsoft to get them to give you a new key for it.  (In one time installed keys)

Again if you have any issues in the install, or anything else please ask

CZARBOOM 

"Never Stop Asking Questions, Question Your Environment, Question Your Government, above all Question Yourself.  We all lose when you Stop asking Why?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users