Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to uninstall when it says it is doing work

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 ketanco

ketanco

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:14 PM

Posted 19 April 2014 - 09:35 PM

I formatted my laptop and saw that by default, it installed an antivirus program called Titanium Macro Interet Security. I already have Mcaffee and I dont want this. So I tried to uninstall from control panel. But it says it is scanning or performing task and I should close the program myself. Well, I checked task mamager and it is not there. How can I uninstall this thing?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Didier Stevens

Didier Stevens

• BC Advisor
  • 2,717 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:14 PM

Posted 20 April 2014 - 07:40 AM

Does this Titanium have a window? Then you can use Process Explorer to identify the associated process.

I made a YouTube video showing this:

Didier Stevens
http://blog.DidierStevens.com
http://DidierStevensLabs.com

SANS ISC Senior Handler
Microsoft MVP 2011-2016 Consumer Security, Windows Insider MVP 2016-2019
MVP_Horizontal_BlueOnly.png

If you send me messages, per Bleeping Computer's Forum policy, I will not engage in a conversation, but try to answer your question in the relevant forum post. If you don't want this, don't send me messages.

Stevens' law: "As an online security discussion grows longer, the probability of a reference to BadUSB approaches 1.0"

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,764 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:14 PM

Posted 20 April 2014 - 10:46 AM

How did you format/reformat your drive? Did you use original factory restore disks? If so, Titanium Macro Interet Security may have been included with the software on those disks.

Many OEM manufacturers provide trial versions of major anti-virus programs preinstalled on computers as part of their software package. It is not uncommon for a computer manufacturer to partner or enter into an agreement with an anti-virus vendor to include their product as part of a marketing strategy. Computer advertisements that say they include anti-virus protection is a selling point for many folks.

This also means the anti-virus software most likely will be included on your factory recovery disks. If you reformat using the vendor's recovery disks, the anti-virus will be installed as part of the default software that came with your computer.

BTW, anti-virus software components insert themselves deep into the operating systems core where they install kernel mode drivers that load at boot-up and create files/folders/registry entries in various locations. Sometimes the uninstall works more effectively if you first stop and disable the program's service (and associated processes) or perform the removal in safe mode so there are less processes which can interfere with the uninstallation. Process Explorer recommended by
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#4 TulsaRose

TulsaRose

• Members
  • 367 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:14 PM

Posted 21 April 2014 - 07:58 AM

Would the Trend Micro Diagnostic Toolkit be useful?  The link is to a Trend Micro article explaining how to uninstall some of their products.

WinXP Pro sp3 \ Firefox, Panda, MBAM, SAS, SpywareBlaster

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,764 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:14 PM

Posted 21 April 2014 - 06:47 PM

IMPORTANT NOTE: Steps to safely replace an existing anti-virus
  • Before removing your old anti-virus, you should download and save the setup file for the anti-virus you are going to replace it with.
  • Download any specialized removal tools available from the anti-virus vendor for your current anti-virus in case you need them.
  • Disconnect from the Internet.
  • Uninstall your current anti-virus...run removal tools if needed.
  • Reboot and install the replacement.
  • Reboot again to ensure it is working properly before reconnecting to the Internet.
  • Connect to the Internet and immediately download the latest definition database updates.

Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users