Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PC outputting full screen video to widescreen monitor

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 windowlicker79

windowlicker79

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:05 AM

Posted 19 April 2014 - 07:21 PM

Hi! This is my first post so I apologise for any noobishness.

My friend has a problem with her PC in that it seems to be outputting a 4:3 full screen image which is being stretched to fill the widescreen monitor its plugged into. The desktop is stretched and squashed and videos play stretched as well. There is also considerable screen tearing when watching videos. I've tried changing the display settings to every option available and none of them seem to make any difference. How can I fix this? If I remember correctly it's running Windows 7.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,479 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:05 AM

Posted 22 April 2014 - 03:54 PM

This sounds like a resolution issue.  Right click an empty space on the desktop and select Screen Resolution.  Change the Resolution to the recommended resolution and press the OK button.

#3 windowlicker79

windowlicker79
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:05 AM

Posted 22 April 2014 - 04:44 PM

This sounds like a resolution issue.  Right click an empty space on the desktop and select Screen Resolution.  Change the Resolution to the recommended resolution and press the OK button.

Thanks for the reply, but I've tried that. I think it only wants to give me 4:3 resolution options. This is why its got me so stumped. Is there anything I could try?

#4 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,479 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:05 AM

Posted 23 April 2014 - 02:28 PM

Delete your monitor and display adapter in Device Manager and reboot the computer.  Windows should reinstall them on reboot.  You may have to install the video drivers if the display adapter is Standard VGA.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users