Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Vista Business frozen on boot, updates not configured, reverting changes

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 acergrrrr

acergrrrr

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:12 PM

Posted 19 April 2014 - 04:37 PM

Hi, I have an acer 3040 which is running Vista Business. I installed Norton on it and in the process of doing so I had to update the driver for the external DVD Drive (I had Norton 360 on DVD).  I tried and tried to get the external DVD drive to work but I gave up in favour of downloading the trial from Symantec and then entering the code I had on the DVD case.  Then I tried to reboot................................. there was some text about Windows installing updates, the computer turned off and started up again and then - Nothing! Just a message on the screen about the updates not being configured correctly and reverting changes with a stark warning not to turn off the computer - end result after hours of the same message - NOTHING!  Just the same message with no other result as a reward for waiting.  Can anyone help please?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 czarboom

czarboom

• Members
  • 608 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:12 PM

Posted 20 April 2014 - 12:51 AM

Sorry to hear that, do you have a Recovery Disk for Vista?  If so

• insert the disk
  • reboot your system
  • as its booting up Press F10 or F8 (this is different for each computer, it should give you two options at the boot screen)
  • Select Boot from DVD/CD and hit enter.  (if a message pops up saying Press any key to continue do it)
  • This should allow your computer to boot, and give you a few options
  • Restore, refresh and repair

Here is a link to Microsoft support about using system recovery, what each does, and how to do it.  Click here for the link.

If your DVD drive still will not work you can use the Microsoft DVD to USB tool.  Down load it here.

I will follow this topic for a few days, if you have any questions please ask.  Just allow up to 24 hrs for a reply, we all here help more than one person at a time.

Good luck

CZARBOOM 

"Never Stop Asking Questions, Question Your Environment, Question Your Government, above all Question Yourself.  We all lose when you Stop asking Why?

#3 acergrrrr

acergrrrr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2014 - 10:43 AM

Hi, thanks for answering and apologies for my late reply, we had something come up which I was working on solidly for the last couple of days.  I do have an acer factory recovery disk which resets to factory settings, I took the HDD out and put it in a caddy, got the few files off that I needed and then replaced the HDD back in the laptop.  I changed the boot order to boot from DVD Drive and the recovery process was underway with even the disk drive working fine (if it hadn't I would have found an ISO to USB tool).  The recovery got to 78% and then I got a recovery failed message, I've tried again and again with the same result, it never gets further than 78% recovered.  This is an unused undamaged and branded acer factory recovery disk.  Of course the recovery disk did part of it's job so now it's overwritten the operating system I did have on there (I think, it will no longer boot from the HDD into Vista).  So now I do not know what to do, maybe try and contact acer?  Thanks for your advice, it is appreciated, I'm tearing my hair out on this one.

#4 czarboom

czarboom

• Members
  • 608 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2014 - 12:03 AM

Question, did you update your Acer to a higher Service Pack, and then try to recover your system with a later Service Pack. 

Example to be clear:  You were running Vista SP2, and tried to use SP1 recovery disk? 

Don’t worry there is still help.  Make sure you have everything you want off the HDD (hard drive).  Your new option is a Clean Install.  What this will do is delete, and reformat your HDD, and install vista that came with your computer on it.  NOTE: EVERYTHING ON THE HDD WILL BE ERASED.

If you are ok with this it’s an easy process, takes about a hr. or so (depending on HDD size) to do.  It does work very well.  Example would be, 3 weeks ago, I took a Vista Gateway from Vista to Windows 7.  (Didn’t know at the time you CANNOT do a clean install of windows 7 until you install it normally over vista).  Broke the machine, no OS, nothing. 

Inserted the Vista recovery disk, and did a clean install of it, and it came up fine.  So it should, (meaning unless some hardware is broken, etc.) work.

Here is a guide for doing this.  Click here for it. (skip Post install steps if you want.)  If you have any questions I am on each night around midnight CST USA.  I will try to check back tomorrow during the day, to answer any questions.  Remember read the whole guide first and read twice click once.  If something is not clear please ask me before you do it...

• Troubleshooting Guide from Microsoft for Vista installs here.
  • More info from Microsoft on Clean Vista reinstall here.

Lastly, BEFORE you do the above, boot your computer, and get into BIOS (F10, F8 etc.).  Make sure your BIOS is not password protected, all security etc. is off.  This can stop a upgrade.  There should be a default option.  Take pictures of each screen before you reset this with your phone or camera, just in case something happens.  That way you can change it back and try again. 

thanks,

CZARBOOM 

"Never Stop Asking Questions, Question Your Environment, Question Your Government, above all Question Yourself.  We all lose when you Stop asking Why?

#5 acergrrrr

acergrrrr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2014 - 05:11 PM

First, sorry about the long delay in replying, it doesn't mean I am not interested and I really am sorry, it was unavoidable for personal reasons.  Ok, the recovery disk has vista on it but it is an acer factory disk which uses the acer eRecovery software which reinstalls all of the sotware etc that the laptop left the factory with, you can burn your own back ups using the software too.  It,s one of the things which acer has been using for years to "simplify and enhance the end user experience" (not a quote from acer, just some BS I made up but it's the sort of thing they would have said).  It is not good software and acer do not have good customer service when it goes wrong.  I have a product key but no Vista OS disc from Microsoft. I,m seriously considering partitioning a part of the drive and using Linux for now unless you know of a way to get a Vista ISO?

#6 czarboom

czarboom

• Members
  • 608 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2014 - 02:36 AM

if you are in college, or know someone who is, then you can get a dreamspark account.  Microsoft offers colleges this. 

When looking for Linux files go to http://www.linux.com/directory/Distributions/desktop

I like Zorin OS, its a simple version.  Or if you want a build with a ton of Pen Testing tools in it go to www.kali.org

For Key recovery in windows MagicBean works often, get that here.

Other than that I would search around the internet for Vista .iso files.  Just check the MDA5 string to ensure the file is real.

Also your manufacture should be able to get you a clean Vista with no acer stuff on it.  Sometimes going to Dell.com and looking for support and forums will work too.

good luck

CZARBOOM 

#7 acergrrrr

acergrrrr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2014 - 04:09 AM

Thanks for all the help and advice man.  I have since managed to use Alt then at the acer  welcome screen F10 to get into the recovery partition on the HD.  It was a little tricky but after a few false starts I got it to work by holding down Alt at power on then pressing F10 as fast as possible imeediately when the acer screen came up, this got me to the erecovery menu and I got a new factory install from there (well new being 7 years ago, only a few updates to go). 

#8 czarboom

czarboom

• Members
  • 608 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2014 - 05:16 AM

Good stuff.  Make sure you do the following after you finish the updates.

• Make a backup and recovery DVD or USB. 
  • Install and run your choice of antivirus
  • Use a program like psi secunia or do it yourself update all programs like Java, Flash, Reader etc.  Also check IE just in case.
  • Also, go to your devices manufacture website and see what the new drivers and updates are for you hardware.  Remember items like BIOS, graphics card and network adapter can cause issues if not the right ones.  Do not update your BIOS unless you are having issues with it. 
  • Lastly remember that the update order is Chipset drivers, BIOS, graphics, all others.  So if you are not doing the BIOS just do Chipset and graphics and anything else. 

If you have anyother questions, or need anymore help with this or other issues please repost here for this issue, or start a new post in the correct forum.  Glad you got it figured out, good luck

CZARBOOM 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users