Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unable to open programme

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 I'm a Number

I'm a Number

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:25 AM

Posted 19 April 2014 - 01:00 PM

I have W7 with IE11

I'm trying to open a document but keep getting this message

Cannot find Acrobat External Window Handler

Anyone know what it means & how do I fix it?

Other issue I have, snipping tool doesn't "paste" would this be connected to my original issue?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 5,957 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:25 AM

Posted 19 April 2014 - 05:46 PM

As a first step I would uninstall the Adobe Acrobat reader ( Start - Control panel - Programs and features - select and 'Uninstall' ) and re-install. You can download the latest version for your OS from the Adobe web-site :-  Adobe.com .

I can't speak to your snipping tool problem, but post back if re-installing Acrobat doesn't fix that  problem.

Chris Cosgrove

#3 I'm a Number

I'm a Number
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2014 - 07:01 AM

Hi Chris

I uninstalled Adobe reader, but apart from my pinned sites, webpages were just hanging, I couldn't even get Adobe to open, so I done a system restore, Acrobat reader 5.0 reappeared on my desktop, but again, I can't open a PDF document.

#4 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 5,957 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2014 - 06:55 PM

Acrobat 5.0 ?

The current version is v11.0.6 and v5.0 will not work with many recent PDF files. Uninstall v5.0, since you are running IE 11 I presume you are using Win 7. If you are, click 'Start - Control panel - Programs and features'. Then select Acrobat 5.0 and click 'Uninstall'. Once it has uninstalled go to the Adobe web-site and download the latest version. NOTE it is  now called 'Adobe Reader' and download and install the latest version for your operating system. As I said, the latest version for Win 7 is v11.0.6. You can get it from www.adobe.com, and that is your best and safest source.

If you run into problems downloading or installing it, post back and confirm the details of your operating system.

Chris Cosgrove

#5 I'm a Number

I'm a Number
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2014 - 09:16 AM

All done Chris, seems to be OK for now :tophat:

#6 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 5,957 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2014 - 02:40 PM

Glad you got that one sorted and I hope you get your snipping tool problem solved as well.

I m almost certainly going to be off-line for the next two weeks, so good luck.

Chris Cosgrove

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users