Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Updates not configured correctly reverting changes -Ouroboros Cycle Dammit!

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 acergrrrr

acergrrrr

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:57 PM

Posted 19 April 2014 - 11:21 AM

Hi, I have an acer 3040 (a bit ancient but it was immaculate condition and it was free) which is running Vista ---------- I installed Norton on it and in the process of doing so I had to update the driver for the external DVD Drive (I had Norton 360 on DVD).  I tried and tried to get the external DVD drive to work but I gave up in favour of downloading the trial from Symantec and then entering the code I had on the DVD case.  Then I tried to reboot................................. there was some text about Windows installing updates, the computer turned off and started up again and then - Nothing! Just a message on the screen about the updates not being configured correctly and reverting changes with a stark warning not to turn off the computer - end result after hours of the same message - NOTHING!  Just the same message with no other result as a reward for waiting.  I tried turning off and turning back on again (myself with a night's sleep and the laptop with the power button) - the same message just keeps sitting there  taunting me B*******!  I know this is a common problem but after trawling the forums and getting many different answers to the same problem I thought I'd ask a question on here rather than rely on some gibberish on yarwho Answers.  Please can anyone help with this problem?  I would prefer not to do a fresh install as my daughter's schoolwork is on it and I'm not sure I have the disk with the bundle I was sent (it's an acer and therefore comes with no recovery disk).

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acergrrrr

acergrrrr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2014 - 11:22 AM

Couldn't edit sorry, it's an acer Travelmate 3040 running Vista Business.

#3 acergrrrr

acergrrrr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2014 - 04:33 PM

Yay!!  Found the Factory Recovery Disk :bounce:

#4 acergrrrr

acergrrrr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2014 - 12:28 AM

Oh! It gets to 78% recovered and then gives a Recovery failed. Reason: 0xd000001e message.  This is the factory reset disk that came with the laptop and has been unused.  Of course now my laptop will not boot from the operating system because part of the factory reset process is to wipe the drive then reinstall at factory spec. 

I am curious what I am doing wrong on this forum though, I have no replies and yet many have read my post, I really could use some help with this problem as I'm running out of options to make this laptop work.  I am very desperately in need of assistance on this one :blink: .

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users