Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

System Idle Runs At 95-97% Cpu Usage...freezes A Lot

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 killmypc

killmypc

• Members
  • 221 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:14 AM

Posted 20 May 2006 - 10:00 AM

I am running XP Pro, with a PII overclocked to 392.. 256 RAM..(I know, not enough of anything), but has to do for now..task mgr shows cpu at 100% quite often.. system idle at 95-97 regularly...system freezes regularly. I have and run spybot. Also got the sisoftsandra2007, but cannot run the the complete system scan without it freezing.....any help without upgrading board, processor, and RAM??

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:14 AM

Posted 20 May 2006 - 10:14 AM

Welcome to BC! :thumbsup:

Well, I thought I would make a couple of comments here, although I may not have all of your answers for you, and my not have the answers you want to hear!

ONE,

system idle at 95-97 regularly

This is a good thing. It means your computer is only using 3-5% of the CPU's resourses. System IDLE is just that, that amount of the system that is IDLE, not working.

TWO,

256 RAM

is painfully too little RAM. Most performance issues start and end here. RAM is so inexpensive these days, even the homeless can afford more RAM! :flowers:

THREE,

system freezes regularly

That is the issue that needs to be addressed. Of course, overclocking your system is going to create a lot of heat, and possibly damage hardware. I know that overclocking your computer is the 'cool' thing to do, but if you really want to enhance the performance of a computer you must first make sure it has enough RAM. This would be number one! Doing otherwise would be like putting a NOS system on your car, even though the car has 4 flat tires! It won't help, and possibly will hurt. Performance in that car would be improved by putting air in the tires first, and I think this is what we are looking at here.

But back to the freezing. Heat. Make sure all fans are working. Take the side cover off of your computer and blow out all of the dust, especially on the CPU cooler and the Northbridge cooler (which is usally located just below the CPU). Clean that computer up first, and report back how much dust buildup there was inside.

The next thing to look at might be the video card if you have one. Do you have a video card, or is the video built in to the motherboard?
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#3 killmypc

killmypc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 221 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2006 - 10:35 AM

Thanks for the reply..

I cleaned and "reseated" everything on my board...tip from a friend..

I have a radeon 9250 video card that occasionally gives me a black screen, and says it has gone back to software rendering...

I have cheecked the system temp in BIOS, and it doesn't appear to be heating up..

Yes, all fans are running..processor and case..

Duh...I guess system IDLE is pretty self-explanatory...thanks

#4 killmypc

killmypc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 221 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2006 - 10:37 AM

Oh yeah...

I removed some of the RAM I had because a buddy told me I might have too much for my little processor to handle...

#5 pascor22234

pascor22234

• Members
  • 403 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:14 AM

Posted 20 May 2006 - 01:29 PM

There's no such thing as having too much memory for the processor. There may be the case where there is too much RAM for the motherboard, but if it was handling it before without problems then it should handle it now.

Look elsewhere for the problem. The first thing you need to do is undo the overclocking. In the past it may have been operating on the edge but now the components have aged and may not be able to run quite that fast anymore. A good test for overclocking stability is Memtest86. This exercises the CPU and the RAM to the max. When running Windows a good 'balls to the wall' test is Prime95 set to use the "torture test" with "small FFT".

So, undo the overclocking and test with these 2 programs. Only when passing these both should you start overclocking and testing again with these apps.

#6 killmypc

killmypc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 221 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2006 - 04:56 PM

I will try that...thank you

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users