Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Silly: Beginner Question About Icon Placement

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 jaeluuc

jaeluuc

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:06 AM

Posted 20 May 2006 - 09:54 AM

First of all

I am confused about toolbar verses taskbar, which is which?

I was going through the tutorial that comes on the computer and was experimenting with moving the the darker blue bar at the bottom of the screen.

What I would like to accomplish if possible (or advisable) is to put the icons that are on the screen into that ?taskbar area, and remove the icons from it that I don't use (or even know what they are).

Some of them are duplicated [on both screeen and bar area]:
- Mozilla Firefox
- Internet Explore
- Ad-Aware SE

Near the start place, I don't want / need:
- Windows Media Player
- Show Desktop
- MSN 8
- America Online 8.0

Near the time display, I don't want / need:
- AOL
- QuickTime
- Intel( R) Extreme Graphics

I also was trying to figure out how to get an icon for some of the things I use from the start menu to be on that bar.

NOW, after reading so much!
I am confused if I should have all of this at all ??? I don't really understand the issues of programs on at the start up and slowing the computer down, etc.

This all started as a 'fun' thing like rearranging the furniture, but now I am stumped as to how to do what I wanted, how to undo what I've done (getting rid of the odd ones) or if I should even have it at all ???

Thanks for your time and patience (I hope :thumbsup: )

Jennifer
New Beginner
Windows XP

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,254 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:06 AM

Posted 20 May 2006 - 11:15 AM

The computer you are using must be an old one though new to you--i.e. AOL8
If you will, install a program called Win Patrol (I think it is just right for you and it is free) you will be able to control your startup programs and several other things such as cookies. It also offers protection by blocking a lot of malware from getting on your computer. Allowing programs to startup when you turn on your computer that you are not using immediately is like running your windshield wipers on a sunny day. You should have no problem using this program, but if you need a little help, just ask.
If AOL is not your IP then uninstall it using the add/remove utility in your control panel. You didn't mention a firewall. I hope you have one installed.
I am sure I didn't answer all of your questions but lets take it slow and keep it simple.
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 pascor22234

pascor22234

• Members
  • 403 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2006 - 02:01 PM

Let's sort this out, OK ?

The bar that's normally at the bottom of the screen is the Taskbar. The area on the left side of the Taskbar and to the right of the Start button is the "Quicklaunch". Program shortcut icons can be dragged-and-dropped to the Quicklaunch are to allow one-click starting of applications and other shortcuts. The Taskbar may be "unlocked" by right-clicking on any blank area on the Taskbar and selecting "Unlock the Taskbar". This allows you to adjust the area alloted to the Quicklaunch area for holding shortcut icons so that they can all be seen at one time. When the Taskbar is unlocked there will be a vertical double-dotted line that can be clicked-and dragged to the left or right in order to change the Quicklaunch area size.

When an icon is dragged-and-dropped from the Desktop to the Quicklaunch it is duplicated, not moved. I normally don't have the same shortcut on both my Desktop and the Quicklaunch in order to avoid clutter. Duplicate icons can be deleted by right-clicking on them and selecting 'Delete'. This can be done for both Desktop icons and Quicklaunch icons.

Each program like Explorer, Internet Explorer, etc., has a Toolbar at the top of its window. It holds buttons used for the application and varies in layout from program to program.

The icons near the time display is called the "System Tray". It automatically holds icons for applications that specifically install these icons in order to allow the user to alter the program's setting or maybe to simply inform you that the program is running properly in the background. Many of these System Tray icons can be right-clicked and be closed down by selecting the proper popup menu item. Use care in shutting down programs here as some must be running for proper operation of the associated application. You specifically mentioned that you want to get rid of the Quicktime and Intel Graphics icons, presumably because they clutter up your System Tray area. Well they also unecessarily use up a small amount of the system resources. By right-clicking these icons the associated program should open up and give you the chance to set the program to not automatically start up and install its System Tray icon.

I hope this is all clear and helps you to redesign your Desktop layout to your particular tastes. This is why it is adjustable.

By the way, you can alter the Taskbar's ugly blue color to a much more pleasing silver color by right-clicking on any empty area of the desktop and choosing Properties > Appearance tab and selecting in the Color Scheme drop-down box the Silver scheme. Why XP comes with that horrible blue scheme is beyond understanding.

Edited by pascor22234, 20 May 2006 - 02:04 PM.

#4 jaeluuc

jaeluuc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2006 - 07:26 PM

Hi buddy and pascor,
Thanks for responding! I love this group here, everyone has been so helpful, patient and kind!

I think I got what y'all said, just need to clarify:

- I had to laugh about the computer being old! After spending what for me was a small fortune just 3 years ago, it is still new! Now, my car at 7 years, is just approaching old :thumbsup:

Alright, down to business now :flowers:

- How do I get the Win Patrol that you mentioned?

- I did say beginner and I am! Don't know what IP is - but if I get rid of AOL will that mess up my kids, I think that is what they use? Truly I was just 'playing' at rearranging, I don't have to change anything, just curious if I could.

- As for the firewall, I thought I was OK with the systems firewall and learning otherwise. Checking out my options. Advice is welcome!

- I have a better grip on the toolbar / taskbar definitions, thankyou. That's how this all started. I unlocked it and moved it to a vertical position on the right. When I gave it a wider dimention, that's when 'extra' things showed up. I like this way because it now also gives me the day and date besides the time.

- I did the dragging step and then deleted the one on the desktop. It sent it to the recycle bin. I then checked to see if I could still open it, but when I did this a little screen came up with a searching flashlight, couldn't 'find' it. I dragged it back out and to the desktop, then it was happy. As before. I don't have to have it one way or the other, just thought I'd give it a try.

- So now my question is: if I delete an icon in one place, am I deleting just the source of access or the actual thing that it represents?

- And I certainly have no business making a decision about what can and cannot be deleted, removed or in any way altered until I have learned a powerful lot more!!!!!!!!!!!!

And just for fun -
My kids hate the shade of blue on that barely old car. I never really gave it a thought, just told them 'hey if it gets us where we're going - be happy' I'll be looking at 'blue' differently these days. Although I did put my foot down and refused to paint my bedroom blue. :trumpet:

Thanks for everything!

Jennifer
New Beginner
Windows XP

#5 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,254 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:06 AM

Posted 20 May 2006 - 08:05 PM

download WinPatrol at www.winpatrol.com -- I know that AOL 8 has been updated for a couple of years now. That it is why I said old. By the way, in the computer world 3 years is considered old. If you are using it as a dialup IP (internet provider) you should update it. I remember that 9.0 requires 128 mb of ram so if you have that and want to keep AOL you will really appreciate the difference. The reason I suggested Winpatrol is because I know you could go to each and every app. on your computer and spend a lot of time finding the settings when you could have it all on one page and easily disable or enable the programs if you decide later to let one run at startup. When you delete a shortcut on the desktop the only thing you are deleting is the shortcut itself. I would also recommend us Zone Alarm Free for a firewall. It is a much better firewall than the one that came with your computer. (Windows Firewall) Zone Alarm will automatically disable Windows Firewall when it is installed. I would also recommend AVG Free for an antivirus program.
If the kids are just starting to use the computer, and you keep AOL, it has a very good Parental control program.
Stopping programs from running at startup will enable a much quicker startup and a lot of the same programs will call home frequently, too, while they are running unnecessarily. I use hibernate instead of "standby" or "shutdown". That is a lot quicker and easier on the computer over time. Hope this helps. Be sure to download the FREE Winpatrol.
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#6 jaeluuc

jaeluuc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2006 - 10:45 AM

:thumbsup: Hope y'all are still with me, I feel like I've been gone from 'here' for ages!

UPDATE:
-Don't know anything about the requirements for AOL etc., We recently signed up for something new with Verizon and fiber optics. However they are instant messaging with their friends is working and they are fine with it.

-The reason for my delay in getting back to 'here' is I was busy getting and running ALL OF THE PROTECTION that we should have had from the beginning! No wonder the darn thing was on death's doorstep!

-Things have gone slowly for me; partly because I am a beginner but I swear that I'm jinxed too!! NOTHING in any of these steps has gone smoothly! ie. the firewall issue; long story short, I have something with F-Secure Anti-Virus that while not a "firewall", is in conflict with all others. Learned the hard way! So I'll leave it as is for now and set things up differently when that expires.

-Still learning / experimenting with the icon issue. Slowly I'll fine tune it the way I want it. No rush on that one.

-Now for the new thing that you mentioned; The WinPatrol. I didn't totally understand all that you said about it, but I suspect that when I get it I'll be able to follow better and feel my way along :flowers:

-Baring any more crisis, I'll be back soon with questions I'm sure about WinPatrol.

Thanks again for your help!
New Beginner
Windows XP

#7 Pippincp

Pippincp

• Members
  • 71 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:06 AM

Posted 24 May 2006 - 05:30 PM

My God it really sounds as if you need help!
First of all I would reccomend that you get rid of AOL, it's invasive to your system and can conflict with other security programs you may have because of it's "inbuilt" ones.

As you are on winXP I presume you have service pack 2 installed which gives you an accptable firewall.

If you have an issue with Spyware/Malware I would reccomend the following progs

Spybot Search and Destroy

SpywareBlaster

Both are free and give good results.

You can also get a 14 day trial of Ewido, again very good.

As regards Anti Virus tools please DON'T use Norton as it too conflicts with practically everything, get AVG Free.

Just Google for the above and download.

Now as regards your other problems/questions I suspect that your PC, and that of the others who have answered you, are still using the FAT32 format.

To me it beggars belief that M/S rightly state that the NTFS system is more stable and yet companies like Dell, Hewlet Packard etc, sell ready-made P/C's with XP installed on FAT32.

I can't help you any futher until I know what system you are on, to find out go to Start- My Computer-right click on you hard drive (usually Local disc C:/) click properties and it will tell you the file system you are on.

Other than that feel free to PM me if you need to.

Pip

#8 jaeluuc

jaeluuc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2006 - 06:58 AM

happy - happy - joy - joy :thumbsup:

I'm finally at the end of this long road to resuscitate and protect this 'bleeping' computer!

I have lots of layers or protection now and know how to use them!

Will spend this week working on the 'finishing' touches, ie. WinPatrol, Site Advisor, etc.

Thank you to all for your help! ( for a 'silly icon question, this did get involved! :flowers: )

Best wishes to all,

jennifer
New Beginner
Windows XP

#9 pascor22234

pascor22234

• Members
  • 403 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2006 - 01:39 PM

To go back to a point where you mentioned that deleting an icon off the Desktop make a Quicklaunch shortcut cease to work -- I bet that the icon on your Desktop is a program and not a shortcut. Shortcuts on the Desktop have a little white square in their lower-left corner with a little black arrow in it. File icons have no such square.

A second issue - the Windows XP firewall is substandard and should be replaced by any one of a number of good, free firewalls.

Agnitum Outpost Firewall Pro

Sunbelt Kerio Personal Firewall

ZoneAlarm Free

Layered protection against viruses and other malware is the way to go. There are excellent free programs out there, so there is absolutely no need to buy anything.

Remember: Have a single antivirus (AVG or Avast); A single firewall (installation of any will turn off the deficient Windows firewall); Several good anti-malware apps - I use SpywareGuard, Spyware Blaster and Startup Inspector.

#10 jaeluuc

jaeluuc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2006 - 06:36 PM

Thanks pascor,

I think you may be right with that shortcut issue.

I was cheking out the info in the help section on the computer. It's pretty neat, I now have a few icons in the quicklaunch area of the things I use most frequently.

But that method only worked with the ms/windows programs.

Like I said before, it's not really neccessary to do the change but thought I'd give it a try. :thumbsup:

I'll keep experimenting.

As far as the security. It has been a long road to hoe!! (not sure of the expression) Anyway, My saga begins with my introduction post and hopefully ends with my post of paranoid, scared and ignorant!

I so look foward to when all I have to do is 'play' with stuff on this thing!!

Thanks for your help!!

jennifer
New Beginner
Windows XP

#11 Pippincp

Pippincp

• Members
  • 71 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:06 AM

Posted 03 July 2007 - 05:11 PM

Hi Jen

I was just going through my email archives (clearing out) and spotted this thread. How have you got on over the past year? Are you more confident now on what you are doing as you won't be a "newbie" any more?

Pip

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users