Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

SLOW START UP IN WINDOWS 7

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Tracey2u

Tracey2u

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:20 PM

Posted 19 April 2014 - 08:30 AM

HOW DO I MAKEWINDOWS 7 START UP MUCH FASTER? IT IS REALLY SLOW. IT TAKES FOREVER TO LOGIN. WHEN I DO FINALLY GET LOGGED IN MY DESKTOP ICONS HAVE CYCLE THROUGH 2 TIMES. THIS IS FRUSTRATING. I LIKE IT TO GO FAST. HELP ME PLEASE.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,295 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2014 - 10:59 AM

Please download MiniToolBox  , save it to your desktop and run it.

Checkmark the following checkboxes:
  List last 10 Event Viewer log
  List Installed Programs
  List Users, Partitions and Memory size.

Click Go and paste the content into your next post.

Also...please Publish a Snapshot using Speccy - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic323892.html/page__p__1797792#entry1797792 , taking care to post the link of the snapshot in your next post.

Louis

#3 Tracey2u

Tracey2u
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2014 - 01:08 PM

Thank you Louis. I shall give it a try. I have tried a lot of things to get it working the way I want to but I have had very little luck. I like to have my pc start up quick and fast. Not slow. That bothers me. How do you know so much about this topic? I am just curious. I appreciate your input. Wish me luck. Thank you again. Have a nice day. Happy Easter.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,295 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2014 - 04:30 PM

Slow computers...are a frequent topic in these forums.  The causes vary...which is why I requested some data about this system.

Happy Easter to you, also :)!!

Louis

#5 Tracey2u

Tracey2u
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2014 - 06:32 PM

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/QZoMeTsx1XNJOKB8eGLnWDy.

Here are the results of my computer analysis. I am glad I downloaded this information because I have the data now to be able to figure out what it is I am exactly going to do. I am very seriously thinking about getting more RAM. That will increase the speed and performance of my computer a litle bit more.  I now have the data I need to go shopping and talk to an expert who deals with this everyday.  Don't you agree? By the way I tried downloading the MiniToolBox with the info you said to check and all it gave me was a bunch of error messages. It was ;ages of them. So I really don't know the purpose of this tool. I tried several times. I am going to keep on trying to increase my speed and performance. There has got to be a way to go about it and have success. I will talk to you latr. Thanks. Bye. Bye.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,295 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2014 - 10:10 AM

I can't draw any conclusions from looking at the Speccy data...the info re errors and programs installed (provided by MintToolbox) would be useful.

The hardware looks OK, as reflected via Speccy...I would suspect that something you have installed is the problem or a possible malware problem.

10GB of RAM is more than enough for the average user running Win 7...in fact, 4GB is more than enough, IMO.  Of course, what a user does on a system is a big factor in determining how much RAM might be beneficial.  This system has no problem rendering video and other normal functions...with 4GB.

Louis

#7 Willy22

Willy22

• Members
  • 945 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:20 PM

Posted 17 May 2014 - 12:50 PM

I see a memory problem. Memory usage is only 16% (is good) but virtual memory is a massive 10 GB (suspicious). Speccy reports 3 x 2 GB memory modules and 1 x 4 GB module. The 4 GB module is IMO the problem. Remove it or replace it with a 2 GB module. Only place memory modules of one type (e.g 2 GB only).

More suggestions to speed up your system:

- Disable one Antivirus program (Windows Defender or Norton).

- Are both the Norton and MS firewall running ? Disable one of them.

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,295 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2014 - 04:01 PM

OP has 10GB RAM installed...it's normal for Win 7 to allocate at least that much for virtual memory...unless adjusted by user.

Windows Defender is not an AV program.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users