Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dual Boot: Fedora 19 and Windows 7

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Winterland

Winterland

• Members
  • 980 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:32 PM

Posted 19 April 2014 - 07:24 AM

Hey there everyone.

After playing with quite a few Live CDs / DVDs and due to the direction that my job is expecting us to go, I'd like to dual boot my year-old-plus Windows 7 machine with Fedora.

I've run the Live DVD with Fedora 19 and my machine seems to handle it without any issues.

Basic specs on my machine:  HP desktop with an AMD processor (A6-3650)  8 GB of RAM and the Win 7 on it is the 64-bit Home Premium.

I've also backed up all my documents, files, pictures and music in the event that my experiment doesn't quite go the way I'd like. :lol:

And I've also made all my Recovery DVDs to get my Win 7 machine back to day one, if that needs to happen.

I've also got a quite a bit of space on my HDD - currently have 775GB free out of 914.

So, a couple of questions before I move forward on this project.

Here is the guide that I plan on using.

• Anyone have another one that they would recommend instead of the one I've linked to?

• Amount of space to shrink? Any recommendations for this?

Unless something really drastic happens, I suspect I'm going to be running and playing with Fedora for the life of this computer. Not really sure what else to ask, so that's what I'm here for - looking not only for answers but some questions I may have forgotten to ask before I start the process.

Feedback, impressions, ideas and coffee are always welcome.

Winterland

Photobucket removed my cool flag - idiots!

Every calculation based on experience elsewhere fails in New Mexico.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 6,889 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:32 PM

Posted 19 April 2014 - 11:43 AM

Looks good to me. If you need a lot of space for your home partition, to install virtual machines, be sure to defrag first to gain the most space. Doesn't take a lot to fill that partition, especially if one has 2-3 VM's to run. Allocated space is always user dependent, what may suffice for one, may not be enough for another. It's best to have a little too much than not enough.

I haven't personally used Fedora, but have heard from others it's as good of Linux choice as any.

You've already done a lot more than many does, the creation of recovery disk set is overlooked by way too many Windows users. And then they wonder why they can't get Windows back.

I believe you're good to go.

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#3 Winterland

Winterland
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 980 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2014 - 01:43 PM

Hey Cat, thanks for touching base and giving me the feedback, it's much appreciated.

I'd also gone ahead and de-fragged everything, just to cover my base.

Also did some house cleaning (temp file cleaner, patched / updated all apps, ran full scans with MBAM and my AV, etc.) so yeah, it looks like I'm good to go.

Might be a day or so, but I'll let you know how things turn out.

Winterland

#4 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 11,729 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:32 PM

Posted 19 April 2014 - 06:32 PM

Feedback, impressions, ideas and coffee are always welcome.

MMMMMMM coffee I just got out of bed.

As cat said it looks good. Looks like you did a fair bit of homework and know what you want. I have never used Fedora but hear good things about it. I may give it a try so lookout Winterland I may be asking you for advice.

Edited by NickAu1, 19 April 2014 - 06:33 PM.

#5 Winterland

Winterland
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 980 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2014 - 06:54 AM

Hola.

Well, it all worked like a charm. I'm currently surfing around and doing all my early morning stuff with Fedora 19 and trying to figure out what will work, what won't and then moving onto the why-won't-it-work part of a new OS.

As for the directions I linked to in my initial post, it all worked like a charm and shrinking my partition, after performing all the tweaks he suggested, took almost no time at all and now I've got an almost 200 GB partition on my drive that houses my spiffy new hat. :bananas:

It's currently a Linux-controlled boot, so once I've powered up I only get about 5 seconds to select my OS (Fedora or Windows 7) or else it automatically launches Fedora. I have not yet used the EasyBCD to get back to a Windows controlled environment but will post if/when I do so.

I've tested logging into both OS's and both seem to be working without any glitches.

As one might suspect, there are a number of things I don't (at least initially) like or are causing me to be a bit crabby that "things don't work like they're supposed to" but as I mentioned previously, that comes with any new territory and since I loaded this OS because of what my work place is expecting of me, there's really no choice but to buck-up buttercup and go out and figure 1) what doesn't work  2) why it doesn't work and 3) what is the fix?

Couple of notes / impressions in case any one reading this is considering attempting the same dual boot scenario.

• Remember that you will reboot many many times in a process like this, comes with the territory.
  • Go slow, read and then re-read all the instructions.
  • What ever you disable and/or turn off during the process...go back and enable and/or turn back on.  << This is very very important.
  • Fedora is not really made for a newbie. If you're looking to get your feet wet with Linux, I strongly urge you to use the popular distros: Ubuntu or Mint.

So there you go.

Don't really have too much more to add.

May update if/when I use the aforementioned EasyBCD to get Windows back in control of my boot, otherwise, I need to go out and figure out why some of the videos I've run into aren't playing esp. on my tumblr account, why Outlook doesn't like this version of FF and where can I find some really good open-source coffee up in this piece.

Winterland

#6 petewills

petewills

• Members
  • 1,374 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:32 AM

Posted 21 April 2014 - 08:09 AM

10/10 for perseverance.
In all my investigations into Linux, including the (horrible) up to date Ubuntu, I have only found one distro which has worked in all respects, out of the box, so to speak and that is Linux Mint. I have v9, Isadora, for floppy drive support (LOL) and Mint 13, Maya, which just does it all.

#7 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 6,889 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:32 PM

Posted 21 April 2014 - 09:20 PM

10/10 for perseverance.

+1! The OP came into this prepared properly, which is far more than I can say for the large majority. Hell, many non-dual booters won't even create their recovery disk sets, nor backup, then when Windows dies, they're ready to blame everyone but themselves. "Nobody told me...". It's in the owner's manual & online & many OEM's will display pop-up reminders.

I feel that the OP will end up doing well. If nothing else, is well prepared to go back.

Mint 13, Maya, which just does it all.

Great OS to run, especially on those older machines that are non-PAE, It's one of the last Full Linux versions that will run on such hardware & is also great on today's. For those with recent hardware, Mint 17 LTS (RC) is due very soon & I'm looking forward to the release.

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users