Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Legacy PCI on z87 type mobo

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 the beholder

the beholder

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:47 PM

Posted 19 April 2014 - 06:29 AM

Hi, I was looking for a new last gen mobo still capable of taking my old delta66 PCI card and I found a deal on the ASUS Z87-A with an i5 4670 processor.
This, I though was perfect for me, as it offered all the last gen PCI slots I could probably need, plus two legacy 32bit pci slots. I installed windows 7 64bit and just to try my legacy pci I plugged an old pci 4xusb card. Plugged it in on the first port and when I turned it on nothing happened. 2nd port was the same. Went to the bios and all ports were enabled. I thought the card could be broken, so I just went ahead and installed the delta 66 drivers that I downloaded from the M audio website for windows 7 64bit , plugged my delta card, and when I turned on the computer I got a three beep alarm and no boot at all. Unplugged the card, turn the computer back on and I got a BIOS message telling me something was wrong with the Thunderbolt (which I didnt know my mobo had) and it was now disabled to let the computer work. Plugged the card again, and same thing happened when I turned it on.
Just to troubleshoot, I plugged in another PCI card, this time a newer Belkin 4x USB pci, but with the universal 5v and 3.3v double notch. Turned on the computer and besides taking about three minutes to install one of the hubs, everything was up and working!
So, at this point I think it is a voltage handling problem on the mobo PCI slots, that instead of feeding the 5volts that is supposed to do on a 5v PCI slot, is only feeding 3.3volts. I could't find any information abot this on the ASUS page.
Some people say that because theese PCI slots are not "native PCI" slots, they don't work as they should if they were, but i think it is mostly a voltage power issue with the PCI slots, because they are notched according to a 5volt PCI card and none of my 5volt cards are working on those. The Belking usb works because is 3.3 capable too. I have no other PCI devices plugged in.
I'm wondering if there's anybody there who had any luck making any legacy PCI 5v card work on a Z87 style mobo, or if anybody knows for sure they can't hold 5v cards, which makes no sense to me, since they are notched for 5v cards.
My delta 66 is from 1999, so, it should be a 5volt PCI card.

ASUS Z87-a (BIOS ver.1802), Windows Ultimate 7 64bit, Barracuda SATAIII,

ASUS customer support won't let me register the mobo or fill in a complaint, because of an error on the page or somethng asking me to fill some blank field that I can't see.

user_online.gif

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,957 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:47 PM

Posted 19 April 2014 - 09:34 AM

I looked through the manual and nothing stood out. Is this the page where you tried to create a case number and start a chat with Customer Support? There is also a toll-free number

http://www.service.asus.com/#!consumer/csn9

#3 the beholder

the beholder
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:47 PM

Posted 19 April 2014 - 06:37 PM

Thanks JohnC_21.

Live support was busy, but I could finally create a case. I'll be waiting for an answer and let you know as soon as I hear from them.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users