Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Was infected but I'm not quite sure I'm in the clear?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 wisecracker

wisecracker

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:34 PM

Posted 19 April 2014 - 03:18 AM

A couple of nights ago I turned on my netbook but didn't plug the charger in so when I came back I found out it had died. I couldn't put my password in as I normally could, it would let me type it out then it would freeze on me. I had to do a lot of force restarts because it just wouldn't do anything. Finally, I turned it on via safe boot and used the hidden admin account and removed the password on my normal account.

Once I accessed my normal account it was very slow. It would load something then freeze up for awhile, load something else and freeze again. It struck me as odd that this started to happen after it died on me. Anyways, this continued for awhile, i got fed up and decided to reboot and go to safe mode again and use the hidden account.

I did a scan with MBAM and the log came up with over 400 infected objects. A lot were very similar, they had something to do with a program called "desk 365" which I've never installed. I removed them and then did a scan with microsoft security essential's and it came up with two infections
"Win32/Wysotot.A!INI and Win32/Wysotot.C" they removed.

After I was able to do a bit more with my normal account after rebooting. It was still very slow at start up but I uninstalled security essential's and installed AVG. My first scan with AVG in normal mode was clean, when I did a scan on safe mode it found 32 infections but never removed them. Thinking I did it wrong I tried this again and the second or third scan didn't remove them.

I noticed in the log it a lot of files said things like "Locked File. Not Scanned. Is Ok" I'm not completely sure what that means. Most of the log seemed had normal files except for the first one that said "@Scan_BootSectorName|%name%=C:\| Found Bootkit.61030040.15908BB7 is OK."

That seemed a bit odd to me and I really haven't done anything since then. I'm just not sure what's up with AVG and why it hadn't removed them. Are these false negatives?

I tried to put all I could remember what I did down to help. My computer is currently acting okay but I still haven't found out whats up with the other stuff. I'm still on XP if that matters. I know its unsupported now but I don't think that has anything to do with my problem.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,272 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:34 PM

Posted 19 April 2014 - 08:04 AM

"Object is locked skipped", "File locked", "Locked file. Not tested", "Access Denied", "Some files could not be scanned", "Error Opening", "Password Protected" or "Encrypted" notations in an anti-virus/anti-malware scan are not uncommon. Some files and services are locked by the operating system or running programs during use for protection, so scanners cannot access them. Other legitimate files, especially those used by security programs, may be obfuscated, encrypted or password protected in order to conceal itself so they do not allow access as a protective measure. When the scanner finds such an object, it makes a note and then just skips to the next one. That explains why it may show with such notations but no action taken in certain anti-virus or anti-malware log scan reports. These are normal when using many security scanning programs so there is seldom a need for concern.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,272 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2014 - 08:05 AM

Please download and use the following tools (in the order listed) which will search for and remove many potentially unwanted programs (PUPs), adware, toolbars, browser hijackers, extensions, add-ons and other junkware as well as related registry entries (values, keys) and remnants.

RKill created by Grinler (aka Lawrence Abrams), the site owner of BleepingComputer.
AdwCleaner created by Xplode.
Junkware Removal Tool created by thisisu.

1. Double-click on RKill to launch the tool. A black DOS box will briefly flash and then disappear. This is normal and indicates the tool ran successfully. A log file will be created and saved to the root directory, C:\RKill.log. Copy and paste the contents of RKill.log in your next reply.

Important: Do not reboot your computer until you complete the next step.

2. Double-click on AdwCleaner.exe to run the tool.
Vista/Windows 7/8 users right-click and select Run As Administrator.
  • Click on the Scan button.
  • AdwCleaner will begin...be patient as the scan may take some time to complete.
  • After the scan has finished, click on the Report button...a logfile (AdwCleaner[R0].txt) will open in Notepad for review.
  • After reviewing the log, click on the Clean button.
  • Press OK when asked to close all programs and follow the onscreen prompts.
  • Press OK again to allow AdwCleaner to restart the computer and complete the removal process.
  • After rebooting, a logfile report (AdwCleaner[S0].txt) will open automatically.
  • Copy and paste the contents of that logfile in your next reply.
  • A copy of all logfiles are saved in the C:\AdwCleaner folder which was created when running the tool.
-- Note: The contents of the AdwCleaner log file may be confusing. Unless you see a program name that you recognize and know should not be removed, don't worry about it. If you see an entry you want to keep, return to AdwCleaner before cleaning...all detected items will be listed (and checked) in each tab. Click on and uncheck any items you want to keep (except you cannot uncheck Chrome and Firefox preferences lines).

Close all open programs and shut down any protection/security software to avoid potential conflicts.

3. Double-click on JRT.exe to run the tool.
Vista/Windows 7/8 users right-click and select Run As Administrator.
  • The tool will open and start scanning your system.
  • Please be patient as this can take a while to complete depending on your system's specifications.
  • On completion, a log file named JRT.txt will automatically open and be saved to your Desktop.
  • Copy and paste the contents of JRT.txt in your next reply.
4. As a final step, rescan again with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and post the log.

#4 wisecracker

wisecracker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2014 - 05:45 PM

RKill Log

Rkill 2.6.5 by Lawrence Abrams (Grinler)
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/
Copyright 2008-2014 BleepingComputer.com
More Information about Rkill can be found at this link:
 http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic308364.html

Program started at: 04/19/2014 03:36:42 PM in x86 mode.
Windows Version: Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 3

Checking for Windows services to stop:

* No malware services found to stop.

Checking for processes to terminate:

* No malware processes found to kill.

Checking Registry for malware related settings:

* No issues found in the Registry.

Resetting .EXE, .COM, & .BAT associations in the Windows Registry.

Performing miscellaneous checks:

* Windows Firewall Disabled

[HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\SharedAccess\Parameters\FirewallPolicy\StandardProfile]
   "EnableFirewall" = dword:00000000

* Reparse Point/Junctions Found (Most likely legitimate)!

* C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\assembly\GAC_32\System.EnterpriseServices\v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a => C:\WINDOWS\WinSxS\x86_System.EnterpriseServices_b03f5f7f11d50a3a_4.0.0.0_x-ww_29b51492 [Dir]
     * C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\assembly\GAC_MSIL\Microsoft.Workflow.Compiler\v4.0_4.0.0.0__31bf3856ad364e35 => C:\WINDOWS\WinSxS\MSIL_Microsoft.Workflow.Compiler_31bf3856ad364e35_4.0.0.0_x-ww_97359ba5 [Dir]

Checking Windows Service Integrity:

* No issues found.

Searching for Missing Digital Signatures:

* No issues found.

Checking HOSTS File:

* HOSTS file entries found:

127.0.0.1       localhost

Program finished at: 04/19/2014 03:37:38 PM
Execution time: 0 hours(s), 0 minute(s), and 56 seconds(s)

Adwcleaner

I made a mistake and forgot to remove "Common Files\337" which i'm sure needs to be removed and I also really messed up because it was a bit confusing. I forgot to uncheck what I wanted to keep and deleted some registry stuff. Can you look at this and see if those are okay? It doesn't seem to have really messed with my computer.

# AdwCleaner v3.024 - Report created 19/04/2014 at 15:55:22
# Updated 18/04/2014 by Xplode
# Operating System : Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 3 (32 bits)
# Username : dell_netbook - DELL-NETBOOK
# Running from : C:\Documents and Settings\dell_netbook\My Documents\Downloads\AdwCleaner.exe
# Option : Clean

***** [ Services ] *****

***** [ Files / Folders ] *****

[x] Not Deleted : C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\AVG SafeGuard toolbar
[x] Not Deleted : C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\AVG Secure Search
[x] Not Deleted : C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\AVG Security Toolbar
[x] Not Deleted : C:\Program Files\AVG SafeGuard toolbar
[x] Not Deleted : C:\Program Files\WinZipper
[x] Not Deleted : C:\Program Files\Common Files\337
[x] Not Deleted : C:\Program Files\Common Files\AVG Secure Search
Folder Deleted : C:\DOCUME~1\DELL_N~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\Desk365
[x] Not Deleted : C:\Documents and Settings\dell_netbook\Local Settings\Application Data\AVG SafeGuard toolbar
[x] Not Deleted : C:\Documents and Settings\dell_netbook\Application Data\AVG SafeGuard toolbar
Folder Deleted : C:\Documents and Settings\dell_netbook\Application Data\eIntaller
File Deleted : C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\browser\searchplugins\safeguard-secure-search.xml

***** [ Shortcuts ] *****

Shortcut Disinfected : C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Mozilla Firefox.lnk
Shortcut Disinfected : C:\Documents and Settings\dell_netbook\Start Menu\Programs\Internet Explorer.lnk
Shortcut Disinfected : C:\Documents and Settings\dell_netbook\Start Menu\Programs\Accessories\System Tools\Internet Explorer (No Add-ons).lnk
Shortcut Disinfected : C:\Documents and Settings\dell_netbook\Application Data\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\Launch Internet Explorer Browser.lnk
Shortcut Disinfected : C:\Documents and Settings\dell_netbook\Application Data\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\Mozilla Firefox.lnk

***** [ Registry ] *****

Value Deleted : HKLM\SOFTWARE\Mozilla\Firefox\Extensions [Avg@toolbar]
Key Deleted : HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\AppID\ViProtocol.DLL
Key Deleted : HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\protocols\handler\viprotocol
Key Deleted : HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\ScriptHelper.ScriptHelperApi
Key Deleted : HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\ScriptHelper.ScriptHelperApi.1
Key Deleted : HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\ViProtocol.ViProtocolOLE
Key Deleted : HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\ViProtocol.ViProtocolOLE.1
Value Deleted : HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run [vProt]
Key Deleted : HKLM\SOFTWARE\MozillaPlugins\@avg.com/AVG SiteSafety plugin,version=11.0.0.1,application/x-avg-sitesafety-plugin
Key Deleted : HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Eventlog\Application\DeskSvc
Key Deleted : HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\AppID\{1FDFF5A2-7BB1-48E1-8081-7236812B12B2}
Key Deleted : HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\CLSID\{4E92DB5F-AAD9-49D3-8EAB-B40CBE5B1FF7}
Key Deleted : HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\CLSID\{933B95E2-E7B7-4AD9-B952-7AC336682AE3}
Key Deleted : HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\CLSID\{B658800C-F66E-4EF3-AB85-6C0C227862A9}
Key Deleted : HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\CLSID\{F25AF245-4A81-40DC-92F9-E9021F207706}
Key Deleted : HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\Interface\{03E2A1F3-4402-4121-8B35-733216D61217}
Key Deleted : HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\Interface\{4E92DB5F-AAD9-49D3-8EAB-B40CBE5B1FF7}
Key Deleted : HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\Interface\{9E3B11F6-4179-4603-A71B-A55F4BCB0BEC}
Key Deleted : HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\Interface\{C401D2CE-DC27-45C7-BC0C-8E6EA7F085D6}
Key Deleted : HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\TypeLib\{74FB6AFD-DD77-4CEB-83BD-AB2B63E63C93}
Key Deleted : HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\TypeLib\{9C049BA6-EA47-4AC3-AED6-A66D8DC9E1D8}
Key Deleted : HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\TypeLib\{C2AC8A0E-E48E-484B-A71C-C7A937FAAB94}
Key Deleted : HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Ext\PreApproved\{F25AF245-4A81-40DC-92F9-E9021F207706}
Key Deleted : HKCU\Software\AVG SafeGuard toolbar
Key Deleted : HKLM\Software\AVG SafeGuard toolbar
Key Deleted : HKLM\Software\AVG Security Toolbar
Key Deleted : HKLM\Software\Desksvc
Key Deleted : HKLM\Software\hdcode
Key Deleted : HKLM\Software\V9
Key Deleted : HKLM\Software\V9Software
Key Deleted : HKLM\Software\winzipersvc
Key Deleted : HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\AVG SafeGuard toolbar

***** [ Browsers ] *****

-\\ Internet Explorer v8.0.6001.18702

Setting Restored : HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search [SearchAssistant]
Setting Restored : HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search [CustomizeSearch]

-\\ Mozilla Firefox v28.0 (en-US)

[ File : C:\Documents and Settings\dell_netbook\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\m4s54k8h.default\prefs.js ]

Line Deleted : user_pref("avg.userPreferences.URLBarFocus.whiteList", "bing\\.com|google\\.\\w+|yahoo\\.\\w+|gmail\\.\\w+|hotmail\\.\\w+|live\\.\\w+|isearch\\.avg\\.com|mysearch\\.avg\\.com");

AdwCleaner[R0].txt - [6051 octets] - [19/04/2014 15:39:38]
AdwCleaner[S0].txt - [5033 octets] - [19/04/2014 15:55:22]

########## EOF - C:\AdwCleaner\AdwCleaner[S0].txt - [5093 octets] ##########

JRT Log

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Junkware Removal Tool (JRT) by Thisisu
Version: 6.1.4 (04.06.2014:1)
Ran by dell_netbook on Sat 04/19/2014 at 16:04:08.48

~~~ Services

~~~ Registry Values

Successfully repaired: [Registry Value] HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\SearchScopes\{0633EE93-D776-472f-A0FF-E1416B8B2E3A}\\DisplayName
Successfully repaired: [Registry Value] HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\SearchScopes\{0633EE93-D776-472f-A0FF-E1416B8B2E3A}\\URL

~~~ Registry Keys

~~~ Files

~~~ Folders

~~~ FireFox

Successfully deleted the following from C:\Documents and Settings\dell_netbook\Application Data\mozilla\firefox\profiles\m4s54k8h.default\prefs.js

user_pref("avg.install.extHomepage", "hxxp://mysearch.avg.com?pid=safeguard&sg=&cid=%7B2c7dc103-f55a-4e7d-832e-97de511ce9b3%7D&mid=9b6a6cc8f88047d28e57d16dae534004-5fe762ebbca
user_pref("browser.startup.homepage", "hxxp://mysearch.avg.com?pid=safeguard&sg=&cid=%7B2c7dc103-f55a-4e7d-832e-97de511ce9b3%7D&mid=9b6a6cc8f88047d28e57d16dae534004-5fe762ebbc
Emptied folder: C:\Documents and Settings\dell_netbook\Application Data\mozilla\firefox\profiles\m4s54k8h.default\minidumps [31 files]

Scan was completed on Sat 04/19/2014 at 16:17:00.65
End of JRT log

MBAM Log

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware 1.75.0.1300
www.malwarebytes.org

Database version: v2014.04.19.10

Windows XP Service Pack 3 x86 NTFS
Internet Explorer 8.0.6001.18702
dell_netbook :: DELL-NETBOOK [administrator]

4/19/2014 4:20:12 PM
mbam-log-2014-04-19 (16-20-12).txt

Scan type: Full scan (C:\|)
Scan options enabled: Memory | Startup | Registry | File System | Heuristics/Extra | Heuristics/Shuriken | PUP | PUM
Scan options disabled: P2P
Objects scanned: 274342
Time elapsed: 32 minute(s), 42 second(s)

Memory Processes Detected: 0
(No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Detected: 0

Registry Keys Detected: 0

Registry Values Detected: 0

Registry Data Items Detected: 0

Folders Detected: 0

Files Detected: 0

(end)

Thank You!

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,272 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2014 - 06:18 PM

Most of those detections were related to junk toolbars. I see nothing else of significant concern which you need to worry about.

#6 wisecracker

wisecracker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2014 - 10:49 PM

So I'm in the clear then? What about the 'infections' found in AVG? Were those just the locked files? And the bootsector boot kit thing? Sorry, I I'm coming across as paranoid.

#7 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,272 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2014 - 07:11 AM

I explained locked files in post #2. It's unclear to me what AVG detected. The portion of the log you posted said "Found Bootkit" but then indicates it is OK. It could possibly be a remnant. You may want to download and run Avg's Bootkit Removal Tool (rmbootkit.exe).

#8 wisecracker

wisecracker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2014 - 06:06 PM

I downloaded and ran the bootkit remover and did as the steps said. It said "Master Boot record. Work complete" It said it scanned 1 object and cleared 1. The steps on the side said if it found anything it would ask me to reboot but it didn't. I decided to run the AVG Safe mode scan and the bootsector thing still came up and this time said i only had 28 infections.

I went back to normal mode and did a anti rootkit scan and nothing was detected but the safe side i did a another safe mode scan and this time the boot sector thing appeared and now said I had 32 infections. I'm not sure whats up with this. Should I not even worry about this?

#9 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,272 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2014 - 07:18 PM

This issue will require further investigation and a more comprehensive look at your system. You have two choices.

1. Contact AVG Support and ask them what is going on.
AVG Free Support
AVG Support for Personal Products
AVG Technical Support
AVG Support Community Forums

2. Many of the scanning we use in this forum are not capable of detecting (repairing/removing) all malware variants so more advanced tools are needed to investigate. Before that can be done you will need to create and post a DDS log for further investigation.

Please follow the instructions in the Malware Removal and Log Section Preparation Guide starting at Step 6.
  • If you cannot complete a step, then skip it and continue with the next.
  • In Step 6 there are instructions for downloading and running DDS which will create two logs. (Note: Windows 8.1 Users will not be able run DDS and create a log)
When you have done that, post your logs in the Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs forum, NOT here, for assistance by the Malware Response Team.

Start a new topic, give it a relevant title and post your log(s) along with a brief description of your problem, a summary of any anti-malware tools you have used and a summary of any steps that you have performed on your own. If you cannot produce any of the required logs, then still start the new topic and explain that you followed the Prep. Guide, were unable to create the logs, and describe what happened when you tried to create them. A member of the Malware Removal Team will walk you through, step by step, on how to clean your computer.

After doing this, please reply back in this thread with a link to the new topic so we can closed this one.

#10 wisecracker

wisecracker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2014 - 04:00 PM

Sorry this is late but my issue was resolved here. Thanks :)

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/532032/avg-issuessomething-in-boot-sector-detected/

#11 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,272 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2014 - 04:09 PM

That's good news. :thumbup2: