Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Programs automatically minimizing/tabbing out

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Silverhand7

Silverhand7

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:32 AM

Posted 19 April 2014 - 12:51 AM

So, I started having this problem a few days ago. Programs, most notably games, automatically tab out randomly. This happens anywhere from 30 seconds to a few minutes apart. It happens when using other things such as my browser as well, but it's less noticeable as it just deselects the window. Several of the times it has happened I've gotten an error that "vrserver.exe" has stopped running. Googling this, it doesn't seem to be anything harmful, but I couldn't find anyone having a problem like mine. Most of the time, however, no error shows. I've done somewhat extensive research of this and haven't found anyone with exactly the same problem. I've tried running multiple AV scans, MBAM found a few items that seemed like false positives, but I deleted anyways. Used CCleaner to clean my registry. Tried closing all unnecessary programs while running the game. Currently the only way I've found to sort of fix this is to run games in borderless windowed, in which case they're deselected instead of tabbed out of/minimized, but it's a temporary solution at best. If anyone has had this problem before and knows how to fix it, or if you have any ideas, I'd really appreciate the help.

Specs:

Windows 7 64-bit

i5 2500k (non-overclocked)

8GB 1333MHz RAM

GeForce GTX 770

1TB 7200RPM HDD

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Trakeen

Trakeen

• Members
  • 126 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:32 AM

Posted 19 April 2014 - 01:57 AM

Have you looked in event viewer for a more specific error code, or are more parameters supplied when you get this error?  These could be helpful.

Are you using oculus rift vr equipment, and does this mostly happen for Steam games?.  I've found a couple of references to it suggesting changing your target parameters to include -vr in your shortcut.  Possibly ending the problem.

Just need a few more details.  The fact that it's happening to other programs makes it a little harder to debug, but we'll see what we can do for you.

Edited by Trakeen, 19 April 2014 - 01:57 AM.

#3 Trakeen

Trakeen

• Members
  • 126 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2014 - 02:00 AM

http://steamcommunity.com/app/250820/discussions/0/630802978972082906/

and

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?p=35341030

Seem to be related to the issue you're having.  You said you've researched this quite a bit, so I'm assuming you might have come accross these two posts, but just wanted to throw those in there if you haven't.

#4 Silverhand7

Silverhand7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2014 - 02:01 AM

Have you looked in event viewer for a more specific error code, or are more parameters supplied when you get this error?  These could be helpful.

Are you using oculus rift vr equipment, and does this mostly happen for Steam games?.  I've found a couple of references to it suggesting changing your target parameters to include -vr in your shortcut.  Possibly ending the problem.

Just need a few more details.  The fact that it's happening to other programs makes it a little harder to debug, but we'll see what we can do for you.

I'm not using an oculus or any kind of vr equipment. It happens with both Steam games and non-Steam games, although I've noticed it happening with Chrome as well, which isn't even a fullscreen application. I'll try using event viewer to see if I can get more details.

#5 Silverhand7

Silverhand7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2014 - 02:08 AM

http://steamcommunity.com/app/250820/discussions/0/630802978972082906/

and

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?p=35341030

Seem to be related to the issue you're having.  You said you've researched this quite a bit, so I'm assuming you might have come accross these two posts, but just wanted to throw those in there if you haven't.

I'm not actually using any vr equipment, so it doesn't really seem related. Thanks for the suggestion though.

#6 Silverhand7

Silverhand7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2014 - 02:38 AM

I believe I found the problem, actually. I have USB ports on my keyboard, which are quite convenient, and I had my phone plugged into one of those to charge. I remember getting an error when I plugged it in the other day about not being able to access it, but I was just using it for charging, not accessing the files, so I paid little attention to it. Looking at Event Viewer, I found error messages about my phone around each time I was having a problem with things tabbing out. Plugged my phone back into the port on the back of my computer that I normally use and I was able to play a game for a short period of time without the problem occurring. I'll do more extensive testing tomorrow, but for now this seems to have solved it. Thanks to Trakeen for suggesting checking Event Viewer logs.

#7 Trakeen

Trakeen

• Members
  • 126 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2014 - 02:43 AM

Interesting, what kind of phone do you have?

I work for a computer shop and I can just imagine running to this problem again...

Let me know what the results are after you've had some time to see how things go without the phone in your keyboard ;)

Edited by Trakeen, 19 April 2014 - 02:45 AM.

#8 Silverhand7

Silverhand7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2014 - 03:05 AM

Interesting, what kind of phone do you have?

I work for a computer shop and I can just imagine running to this problem again...

Let me know what the results are after you've had some time to see how things go without the phone in your keyboard ;)

Using a Galaxy S3. Keyboard is a Das Keyboard Professional. It is a really odd problem to run into, and I've ran into equally odd problems at work as well, although nothing like this.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users