Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Trim PS cables?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Xabier

Xabier

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:53 AM

Posted 18 April 2014 - 11:32 PM

I am currently assembling a new build that includes a Corsair TX-750 Enthusiast power supply.  The drive power cables have more connections than I need.  The extra complete cables can easily be stored in the area at the back/side of the case.  However, the one that I am using has four connectors and I only need two.  Is there any reason I cannot simply cut off the two extra connectors flush with the second connector and then use the connector cap from the present end connector to cover the wires on the newly trimmed second connector?  Hope that make sense. 

I can store the extra connectors in the drive mounting box, but it would be much more neat if they were trimmed off.  There will still be another complete drive power cable stored in the side of the cabinet if needed in the future.  Thanks in advance for any comments.

Xabier

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,094 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2014 - 12:07 PM

Hi

I would not do it for one simple reason.

Cutting AKA trimming the wire will void any warranty.

Since even the best, most reliable brands can need a warranty repair once in a while, do You want to take that chance?

Good Luck

Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#3 Xabier

Xabier
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2014 - 10:26 AM

Hi

I would not do it for one simple reason.

Cutting AKA trimming the wire will void any warranty.

Since even the best, most reliable brands can need a warranty repair once in a while, do You want to take that chance?

Good Luck

Roger

Hi Roger,

Thanks for that advice.  Turns out that I came to the same conclusion on my own.  Apologies for not getting back sooner to reply, but had gone ahead and stowed the complete cables in the extra space in one of the drive bays and was working on the system.  Hadn't had the time to spend on it all at one time so working in sketches. 

Turns out the decision was perhaps a good one as now I'm having trouble with getting it started.  But I'll start a new thread on that.  Thanks again for your reply.  I always appreciate other people's willingness to share their time and knowledge to help.

Tom

#4 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,094 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2014 - 10:38 AM

No problem, One suggestion since it is a new build

Remove the Motherboard, Lay on a non conductive surface with Video, One memory and Power supply and test that way. Also make sure both power cables are connected to the Motherboard.

Good Luck with the new problem

Roger

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/

167 @ June 2015

#5 Xabier

Xabier
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2014 - 08:24 PM

No problem, One suggestion since it is a new build

Remove the Motherboard, Lay on a non conductive surface with Video, One memory and Power supply and test that way. Also make sure both power cables are connected to the Motherboard.

Good Luck with the new problem

Roger

Roger, this is kind of working two threads, but here is the answer to what I was advised by both you and another gentleman to try.

----------

Okay friends and neighbors.  Removed the MB from the case.  Laid it on a piece of foam rubber.  Connected the 8 and 24 pin cables... carefully.  Started the system by shorting the start pins with a screwdriver.  With no ram installed it would turn the fan at slow speed and then the fan would stop and a series of beeps.  Not just three or four beeps at a time but a continous series of them.

Then installed one strip of RAM in slot 1 and when it started, the CPU fan started at something like half speed for about two seconds and then kicked into what would appear to be full speed although it seems to me it should be running faster.  Anyway, it would run that way for perhaps fifteen seconds then the power would shut down on it but before it would spin all the way down it would go back to the higher speed and run another fifteen or twenty seconds and then shut down completely.  No beeps.

I tried putting in two RAM strips  in slots 1 & 3 and then it would just turn a few revolutions and shut back down.  Tried putting one strip in slot 4 and it would just barely start there also.  Then I moved the one strip back to slot 1 and it started and did the slow run and then up to speed.  After about ten seconds the power would stop again but then come back on before the fan could spin down.  Did that three cycles and then went dead.  No beeps.

Hopefully that will give enough information for someone to have an idea what is going on in this thing.  I work very hard to make these things look good, physically as well as electrically, and just hate it when I have to take one apart again.  But... that's life.  Thanks for any further words of wisdom.

Tom

#6 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,094 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2014 - 12:16 PM

Make sure You are using the right 8 pin cable for the CPU power. It may have two 4 pin connectors that can be split where only a 4 pin is needed or used together where a 8 pin is needed. I mention this as some fancy Video cards use a 6 pin and a 8 pin connector so Your power supply may have two types of 8 pin connectors.

Motherboard Make & model please.

Good Luck

Roger

167 @ June 2015

#7 Xabier

Xabier
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2014 - 04:53 PM

Rotor,

My apologies for the long delay in reply.  I got the problem resolved and then forgot to check back here to clear this thread out.  But I do appreciate your effort to be of assistance.  I try not to take other peoples time lightly.

Problem turned out to be incompatibility with the Patriot Viper ram.  Tiger DIrect sent me a set of Crucial ram and off we went.  Sometimes things that seem so difficult can turn out to be simple, it's just getting your finger on it.

For furure reference in case someone else reads this thread, the board is a Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 AMD 9 Series.  I've used two or three Gigabyte boards, including this one, in the past and have had good luck with them.  Just getting ready to order another one today or tomorrow.

Tom

#8 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,094 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2014 - 11:52 AM

Thank You for getting back to us. I have seen many strange problems over the years that trace back to the RAM. I have a policy of making sure before I buy the memory that it will work. I do that by going to a major memory vendors website and checking it that way.

The End result is a nice stable computer.

Roger

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users