Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

remote desktop error

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 jrcollins

jrcollins

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:45 AM

Posted 18 April 2014 - 08:02 PM

I've been working on this for a few hours, but no luck so far.

When I try to start the Windows "Remote Desktop Connection", I get the following error:

"The system cannot find the file specified. C:\WINDOWS\system32\<LANG_NAME>\mstscax.dll.MUI"

However, the file does exist, and is located in the /system32/en-US/ folder.

I recently upgraded XP from SP2 to SP3, and also from IE7 to IE8. I read somewhere that both these updates can potentially cause some of the remote desktop connection files to become corrupt.

I installed the following Windows update: WindowsXP-KB969084-x86-enu, but I'm still getting the same error.

Edited by jrcollins, 18 April 2014 - 08:03 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 SpywareDoctor

SpywareDoctor

• Members
  • 256 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:45 AM

Posted 19 April 2014 - 09:49 AM

How to Setup Remote Desktop on Windows XP

#3 jrcollins

jrcollins
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:45 AM

Posted 19 April 2014 - 06:10 PM

Thanks for the link. It looks like I've been wasting my time with this as the computer I want to connect with has Windows 7. 

#4 SpywareDoctor

SpywareDoctor

• Members
  • 256 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2014 - 06:15 PM

Time to abandon XP and move on up to 7? ;)

#5 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 6,998 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2014 - 01:17 AM

Time to abandon XP and move on up to 7? ;)

+1!

I couldn't agree more. It is inadvisable at this point to be connecting an XP desktop to a Windows 7 one, for the sake of both computers. I'm afraid to connecting my last one to my home connection at all, let alone remote networking. Am considering going to the local library to properly deactivate some software (MBAM Pro & Office 2007), so that I can deploy those to other machines, then nuke the HDD with DBAN (NSA 7x wipe) & go with a Linux Mint 13 install. I want every morsel of XP gone. This will eliminate any worms, parasites, spyware, trojans, anything hidden.

Though I may be a bit paranoid as to not connecting the machine to my home network, it's always best to play it safe than sorry & I won't be going out of my way, as I ride by the library 3-4 times weekly. I can even do it in the car, these does have to be uninstalled online so that the licenses will be freed. The library is better equipped to deal with network infections than I am, or has safeguards in place. Once I install the software on another OS & all activates OK, the notebook's drive will be nuked. It may take 12 to 18 hours to do the job, but I'll feel safer.

Simple formatting with partitioning tools won't get the job done. The HDD needs several overwrites with scrambled data to sterlize it prior to installing any other OS.

Remote Desktop with XP at one's own risk!

Cat

Edited by cat1092, 20 April 2014 - 01:18 AM.

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users