Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Network adapter not connecting in Admin acct.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 chessnut2

chessnut2

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:37 AM

Posted 18 April 2014 - 07:51 PM

Hello all. My son called me about a problem he's having with his laptop computer. He signs in on his administrator account for general use, and a second user account for college work (Don't know why he needs to use 2 accounts).

When he's signed into the School user account, he can connect normally to his wireless router with no problems. But when he is on the administrator account, he can't connect, and gets an error message saying "cannot connect to wireless network adaptor".

He's getting plenty of signal strength from the router, and device manager says the network adaptor is working properly.

I've never seen this problem before. Any suggestions?
Thanks. Jim

His info is as follows:

Hp pavilion dm4
Windows 7 ultimate 64 bit
Intel i5 2410m cpu at 2.3 ghz
6 gb ram
Intel wifi link 1000 bGN

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Trakeen

Trakeen

• Members
  • 126 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:37 AM

Posted 19 April 2014 - 03:03 AM

Might be silly, but have you tried making sure the password he's using is case sensitive?  I haven't seen this problem on most PCs, but I have seen it on a number of iPhones.  I wouldn't be suprised to see wireless adapter manufacturers enforcing the use of case senstive passwords.

You could also try uninstalling and reinstalling the drivers in the adminstrator account to make sure it isn't just a buggy driver in that specific account.

Also, you can go to "manage wireless networks" remove the SSID that he's trying to connect to and re-enter the password, case sensitive or not and see what the results are.  Could just be a bad configuration that was setup origionally.

#3 chessnut2

chessnut2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:37 AM

Posted 19 April 2014 - 09:36 AM

Trakeen........thanks for the idea. I'll tell him to try this. I forgot to mention in the original post that both accounts have been working for a couple of years before the problem arose yesterday. I asked him if he had made any recent changes or additons to software and he hadn't. It's certainly worth a try. Thanks. Jim

#4 Trakeen

Trakeen

• Members
  • 126 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:37 AM

Posted 19 April 2014 - 01:42 PM

Might also try powering down the router and turning it back on after a minute or so.  I found that one out after 3 hous once...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users