Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Which .NET Framework for windows xp sp3

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 veerboa

veerboa

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:17 AM

Posted 18 April 2014 - 07:48 PM

hello. I need to install a .NET Framework for XP SP3. The program is calling for at least 3.5, but I see there are newer .NET Framework versions available. I can not seem to figure out if a newer version will work properly with XP. Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,948 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:17 AM

Posted 18 April 2014 - 10:01 PM

.NET Framework 4.5 or higher does not support Windows XP users can skip as this version does not support that operating system. See System Requirements.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2014 - 10:51 PM

.NET Framework 4 is what you need. Here's the link. You'll have to run Windows Update after the install, as there's 15 or more updates to be applied after the install. These typically takes longer to install than most other Windows Updates.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/download/details.aspx?id=17718

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,948 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:17 AM

Posted 19 April 2014 - 07:41 AM

These typically takes longer to install than most other Windows Updates.

Yes they do and they are more prone to failed installations....which is why I recommend installing them separately from other Windows Updates.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,426 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:17 PM

Posted 19 April 2014 - 10:37 AM

What's the program?

If it asks for 3.5...then I'd install 3.5, SP1.  Versions of MS.NET are not necessarily cumulative...and the program requests the version which was employed by the developer of the application...so just install that version.

A different program can require a completely different version...at which time you should install that version.

MS.NET installs are determined by the programs which ask for and require these versions which have been implemented by the program developers.

Louis

#6 veerboa

veerboa
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2014 - 10:40 AM

hello.

I downloaded the .NET Framework 4.0 through the windows update and received the error below after I launched the program I needed it for.

Note, that I do see the additional updates that are now displayed in the windows updater to download.

ERROR

".net framework initialization error. unable to find a version of the runtime to run this application."

thank you.

Edited by veerboa, 19 April 2014 - 10:46 AM.

#7 veerboa

veerboa
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2014 - 10:54 AM

hello Louis,

I did not see your message until after the issue arose. The program is called CCEnhancer-3.9. It automates the winapp2.ini updates for CCleaner.

As a side note, on the xp computer I would like to have the most up to date programs, to discourage any issues with flaws etc.

thank you.

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,426 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2014 - 12:49 PM

"Disclaimer:

The entries created by this tool are not supported by Piriform, the makers of CCleaner. This tool is to be used at your own risk, as these entries were created and tested by users of the CCleaner Forum, Piriform cannot be held responsible for any damage caused as a result. If you find a bad entry, please report it to me in an email and I will look into the matter. CCleaner, Piriform & the CCleaner Logo are registered trademarks of Piriform Ltd. All Rights Reserved."

I would not install this program, but it's your system.  You have someone's hobby as a test case on your system, with no responsibility for when things go wrong.

<<As a side note, on the xp computer I would like to have the most up to date programs, to discourage any issues with flaws etc.>>

Actually...newer software is likely to be more flawed than older software...which has had time, support, and data feedback.  Ignoring that...the plain and simple truth is that many software problems are caused by damaged files (which have nothing to do with how old or new it is) rather than being associated with time.

AV and Windows updates are time-essential because such help thwart the presence of malware on a system.  Some mistakely believe that drivers have to be constantly "updated" when the reality is that the only reasons for replacing a driver is either enhanced functionality or damaged/malfunctioning current drivers.

In any case, enjoy your system :).

Louis

#9 veerboa

veerboa
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2014 - 01:10 PM

hello Louis.

That program is now uninstalled from the computer. Thank you for the information.

As for the .NET Framework how can I test it to make sure it is working properly? As for the .Net Framework I also want to clarify that it is alright to have more than one version installed on a computer? From my experience I know that when a software update is released usually the program instructs during install to uninstall or copy over the older version. For .NET Framework is this not the case? And does having a newer version (ie. 4.0) installed not take care of the programs that request 3.5? Is it best to download from the windows updater or directly download from the site in case one has to uninstall and reinstall?

thank you.

Edited by veerboa, 19 April 2014 - 01:21 PM.

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,426 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2014 - 01:51 PM

If a program doesn't ask for NET...it's installed and working properly if the program is working properly.  Ditto if a driver package asks for NET.

If no application asks for it...it's either already installed or not needed.

The direct download packages for NET, Visual Basic, etc...are all faster than going through Windows Update.  And...you have the installer package if you have to reinstall it, for whatever reason.

I've already stated...versions are NOT cumulative.  If the program says 3.5...please install 3.5, SP1.

Louis

#11 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2014 - 04:28 PM

Many XP users will never need .NET Framework 4.0, however there are some instances where it will be. Such as auto detect & installing of AMD video card (GPU) drivers, which at this time is the only thing that has prompted me to install the software. I've only needed it on one XP install, out of the many that I've had.

Otherwise, it's optional, which is why it's not included in Automatic Updates. Only after .NET Framework 4.0 is installed, are there auto updates for it. If it's not needed, don't bother.

Cat

Edited by cat1092, 19 April 2014 - 04:29 PM.

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users