Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Comp won't boot up. Stuck on blue Windows XP screen.

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 lee_29

lee_29

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:31 AM

Posted 18 April 2014 - 06:36 PM

I'm running Windows XP on a Dell computer with SP3.

It just stopped booting up and gets stuck on the blue Windows XP screen. It does the same thing in Safe Mode.

Please help!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,010 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:31 AM

Posted 18 April 2014 - 11:34 PM

That is something that I've seen so many times (not limited to Dell computers) on XP installs, yet hard to pinpoint the cause. When you booted the computer into Safe Mode, there's an option to select "Last Good Configuration" (or similar wording), have you tried that? This is basically a one time shot.

Have you tried removing all power, including the CMOS battery, then pressing the power key for 30 seconds, then replace all batteries, power cord & try to start? Or remove the HDD & used another computer to check the HDD? That's the trick, getting it to fire up, however every time that I've seen this, a reinstall was required to get it right again. Something is likely corrupted in the file system, as I've seen this happen on perfectly good working hardware.

So unless you have a recovery partition, I hope that you have a reinstall CD for XP, chances are you'll need it.

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users