Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

thinking of switching to ubuntu, help a noob out

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 cpunoob

cpunoob

• Members
  • 292 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:09 AM

Posted 18 April 2014 - 06:31 PM

i dont do much on my pc but use firefox and watch videos of people falling on their ass.  my pc now seems to be struggling to run the last updates for windows xp.

what are some major programs and games that so far wont run on ubuntu, what kind of anti virus would i need?  my pc cant really run much, but i was wondering if it can make my machine run faster, i might be able to play more browser based games, the ones with bleep graphics 8).

my system specs are

1.3 gig amd something processor

640mb ram

32mb inter grated graphics 8(

33.7 gig hard drive

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 11,779 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:09 AM

Posted 18 April 2014 - 08:29 PM

640mb ram

33.7 gig hard drive

With those specs Puppy linux would be ideal.

http://puppylinux.org/main/Overview%20and%20Getting%20Started.htm

what are some major programs and games that so far wont run on ubuntu, what kind of anti virus would i need?

Unless they have been reported to run on linux, No software that was made for Windows will run on linux. You would need Wine or a Virtual machine But again I refer you to your machine specs. As for antivirus ( well you dont need it) BUT Clam AV should be ok.

#3 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 6,889 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:09 PM

Posted 18 April 2014 - 09:54 PM

In addition to Live Puppy, Minux Mint 13 Xfce (a lightweight version) is a good OS to install to your drive. It uses much less resources than XP & made for lower spec computers. This would give you 2 OS's, a live portable & an installed one too.

http://www.linuxmint.com/edition.php?id=113

Just as with Puppy, you can boot from the Live DVD (or Flash drive installer) to take it for a test run w/out installing.

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#4 cpunoob

cpunoob
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 292 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2014 - 12:57 AM

so no full ubuntu (which i still dont know what version would be good for me), do torrents or p2p programs easily work on it?

will my western digital external usb drive work just the same?

im really freaking clueless when it comes to something that is suppose to be nothing like windows 8)

i really just want to be browsing and watching vids

very little gaming since i have little vid memory

if puppy is just running off ram, how does that affect everything else?

is it always running? :scratchhead:

#5 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 11,779 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:09 AM

Posted 19 April 2014 - 01:29 AM

Try this.

http://distro.ibiblio.org/quirky/precise-5.7.1/precise-5.7.1-retro.iso

Download the ISO burn it to CD/DVD or USB remember it needs to be bootable.

Boot your pc and try it out.

do torrents or p2p programs easily work on it

Torrents yes

But Torrents are not safe. Please read this regarding torrents and P2P stuff.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/531574/file-sharing-alert/

Connect Puppy Linux To WiFi (SNS)http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/531358/connect-puppy-linux-to-wifi-sns/

#6 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 6,889 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2014 - 11:33 AM

do torrents or p2p programs easily work on it?

While torrents & P2P may work fine on it, it's highly recommended to stay away from this way of obtaining software.

Reason is. malware is easily spread, all it takes is one machine on the chain that's infected & that one can infect the rest. Plus much of the software on these sites are illegal to distribute, otherwise why not a download manager from the direct source? It's far safer.

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#7 casawyer

casawyer

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2014 - 02:21 PM

You want to download Ubuntu 14.04 32 bit OS.  It comes with it's own virus protection called Clamtk you can install from the program manager once you have it installed.  After installing it, you need to do a few other tweeks, you will find in this article. 

http://itsfoss.com/things-to-do-after-installing-ubuntu-14-04/

i dont do much on my pc but use firefox and watch videos of people falling on their ass.  my pc now seems to be struggling to run the last updates for windows xp.

what are some major programs and games that so far wont run on ubuntu, what kind of anti virus would i need?  my pc cant really run much, but i was wondering if it can make my machine run faster, i might be able to play more browser based games, the ones with bleep graphics 8).

my system specs are

640mb ram

33.7 gig hard drive

Edited by casawyer, 19 April 2014 - 02:24 PM.

#8 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 6,889 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2014 - 12:26 AM

I don't know if Ubuntu 14.04 will run on the specs the OP listed. 640MB RAM is low, so is 32MB graphics,

The CPU GHz level is OK, as long as it's PAE enabled, something else that creates doubt, given the rest of the specs. However, 1GB RAM & 128MB Video RAM is also required, so even a RAM upgrade alone wouldn't do it. Specs are to the right of the page.

https://sites.google.com/site/easylinuxtipsproject/faq

Cat

#9 cpunoob

cpunoob
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 292 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2014 - 12:34 AM

so puppy is the best bet so far

#10 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 6,889 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2014 - 12:44 AM

so puppy is the best bet so far

Puppy as a portable OS, however you can likely still run Linux Mint 13 Xfce on your HDD, it's nor resource heavy. It's best to have one OS installed to your HDD, as Flash drives do go out.

If you can upgrade the RAM to 1GB or higher, you can run the full version of Linux Mint 13, the Mate edition. It's supported until April 2017.

Cat

#11 cpunoob

cpunoob
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 292 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2014 - 12:59 PM

i want to have a permanent os, thats just really fast and doesnt lag my old pc

ive never really used program that came with windows like paint or what ever the bleep comes with it

its always been firefox, codec packs for windows media player classic, hated using the newer one.

im just a browser guy, not a programmer 8)

im not going to edit pictures or video, i might need a dvd burner program tho

#12 rburkartjo

rburkartjo

• Members
  • 3,911 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:09 PM

Posted 20 April 2014 - 02:56 PM

cpu you should try solydxx  http://solydxk.com/

after the first install you should never have to reinstall. it is a rolling release. should work great for you i have it install on a 32gig usb drive and it is fast.

and have used less than 8 gigs so far. and i like to add a lot of stuff you probably would never use. comes with firefox and abiword install along with just about everything you need.

quote:He that would live in peace & at ease, Must not speak all he knows,nor judge all he sees.'

#13 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 6,889 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2014 - 12:21 AM

cpu you should try solydxx  http://solydxk.com/

after the first install you should never have to reinstall. it is a rolling release. should work great for you i have it install on a 32gig usb drive and it is fast.

and have used less than 8 gigs so far. and i like to add a lot of stuff you probably would never use. comes with firefox and abiword install along with just about everything you need.

I'm thinking of trying out that distro. After watching some tutorials, I discovered that MS Office can be installed to Play of Linux. I have an extra copy of Office 2007 Ultimate that's going to be removed from an XP install, along with MBAM Pro.

As to Office 2007, SP3 is the current pack for it, plus there's updates since then. Will I be able to update Office 2007 on Play on Linux, or will slipstreaming of SP3 be needed? It would seem to be less secure w/out these updates.

Cat

#14 cpunoob

cpunoob
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 292 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2014 - 02:06 PM

so for just browsing and watching videos

p2p and torrents

puppy or that other thing?

#15 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 6,889 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2014 - 09:09 PM

so for just browsing and watching videos

solydxx  http://solydxk.com/ will do.

p2p and torrents

I can't make a recommendation there, as it's not safe to use such software, making one would be an endorsement, which I don't care to be involved in. Most honest tech forums discourages the use of this software & there's a good reason why, the spreading of malware from computer to computer, that's what P2P in essence is.

Cat

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users