Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wave Level decreases on its own!

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 earll

earll

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:53 AM

Posted 18 April 2014 - 05:46 PM

Earlier today updated my AVG and Maleware. After reboot from AVG, noticed I had no sound.  Long story short, the WAVE level on my Volume control was all the way down. Brought it back up and heard sound.  Woo Hoo All was fixed....WRONG

Now after about 2-3 minutes, it goes down on its own!  So besides the dell desktop being posessed, any suggestions?

Also, after scan with Malware and with AVG, everything comes up clean.

Edited by earll, 18 April 2014 - 05:46 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 SpywareDoctor

SpywareDoctor

• Members
  • 256 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:53 AM

Posted 19 April 2014 - 09:50 AM

The simplest fix is to use System Restore to roll back Windows to a point in time when your computer was functioning correctly. It allows you to undo system changes without affecting your personal files, such as e-mail, documents, or photos.

#3 earll

earll
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:53 AM

Posted 21 April 2014 - 09:17 AM

Well I would try that but it wont let me.

#4 SpywareDoctor

SpywareDoctor

• Members
  • 256 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2014 - 05:12 PM

Then the next step would be to try restoring an earlier system image or backup.

#5 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 6,998 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2014 - 12:42 AM

There is also an option to boot the computer with "Last Known Good Configuration". This option can be accessed the same way as Safe Mode (it'll be in the same list), by pressing the F8 key several times after pressing the power button. Go to that option & press Enter, the computer will reboot, hopefully to that point. Note that this is a one time shot (for awhile) to revert to working condition.

Also, have you tried reinstalling your sound drivers? Normally the OEM has the latest version posted on their website.

Finally, AVG doesn't play well with all computers, there's also a one time scan utility that offers to "fix" things, that sometimes messes up, rather than fix. Did you run this option when offered?

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#6 bludshot

bludshot

• Members
  • 657 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:53 AM

Posted 26 April 2014 - 12:28 AM

Sometimes I have seen where some software will change your wave volume. Like you will be in some audio recording software, and you think you are adjusting the sound levels for only in that software, but actually the software is adjusting your wave levels for the whole computer. It's not something like that is it?

#7 Wolverine 7

Wolverine 7

• Members
  • 746 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:53 PM

Posted 27 April 2014 - 02:32 PM

Yes try and update the audio drivers,maby have a look at the Event log,see if it gives any clues to whats causing the problem.

Would be good to fix system restore if its not working and you dont have an image,ie turn it of to delete the old points if their

corrupted,and then turn it back on and make a new restore.If that doesnt work try reinstalling system restore.

Volume issues have always been tricksy on my xp,if you cant roll the system back or fix you might have to reinstall.

#8 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 6,998 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2014 - 12:02 AM

After reboot from AVG, noticed I had no sound

You also may want to see what's in your AVG quarantine folder, since this event took place as you described. There's always the chance that something to do with your sound as quarantined as a false positive, these things, though rare to this extreme, can happen.

There was a question that I asked earlier, maybe it was overlooked. Did you run whatever one-time system cleanup utility that AVG offers? If so, there should be a chance (was when I last used AVG), an option in the menu, to restore anything that was changed. These utilities often does more good than harm. My advice to you, if you do get this going again, is to remove AVG & not look back, though I probably don't have to suggest this. But unless reinstalling, don't remove it yet, as what you need may be somewhere in the quarantine or system utility cleanup folder.

This topic will serve me as another reason not to touch AVG again. It's a shame to install security, thinking it's going to protect you, then get screwed like this. You should also let the folks at AVG know about this incident.

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users