Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No sound on computer

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Elbandito

Elbandito

• Members
  • 89 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:45 AM

Posted 18 April 2014 - 04:48 PM

Was perfectly fine this morning. Switched it on tonight and it says no sound card recognised when trying to play sound. Tried everything I could find online and it just ain't working. Any ideas?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,131 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:45 PM

Posted 18 April 2014 - 04:52 PM

Run the Sound Troubleshooter from the Help files?

Louis

#3 Elbandito

Elbandito
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 89 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2014 - 05:04 PM

Still no difference unfortunately. When I open volume control, it only recognises the webcam volume. My speakers aren't recognised anymore.

#4 earll

earll

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:45 PM

Posted 18 April 2014 - 05:42 PM

I am having the same problem.  Double click your speaker in the taskbar. This will open the volume control. Next look at your WAVE slider. Mine was all the way down. Moved it up and now HAD sound.  Couple of minutes later, on its own, it moved back down.

I am going to post this (as a new problem) now, but this is what I encountered...LMK if yours is the same!

Edited by earll, 18 April 2014 - 05:47 PM.

#5 guitarmee

guitarmee

• Members
  • 103 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2014 - 05:42 PM

What shows up in device manager under the Sound devices? Are there any errors or yellow signs with exclamation points? (To open Device Manager right click on Computer/My Computer and click manage)

#6 guitarmee

guitarmee

• Members
  • 103 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2014 - 05:54 PM

I hate to do it, but I have to ask a very basic question just in case... Have you tried rebooting the computer! That can (if you're lucky) solve a lot of computer issues.

Have you tried uninstalling the drivers for the sound card, rebooting, re-installing the drivers, and then rebooting again?

Is this a laptop or desktop? If it's a desktop, is this the built-in/onboard/integrated audio that came with the computer, or is it a separate audio card?

On my old (and only) desktop, the built-in audio stopped working not long after I bought it! I bought an audio card for about $30 that was better than what the computer came with.

It has been working flawlessly for about 9 years.

#7 Elbandito

Elbandito
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 89 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2014 - 04:53 AM

I am having the same problem.  Double click your speaker in the taskbar. This will open the volume control. Next look at your WAVE slider. Mine was all the way down. Moved it up and now HAD sound.  Couple of minutes later, on its own, it moved back down.

I am going to post this (as a new problem) now, but this is what I encountered...LMK if yours is the same!

The volume control has vanished!

What shows up in device manager under the Sound devices? Are there any errors or yellow signs with exclamation points? (To open Device Manager right click on Computer/My Computer and click manage)

No, none.

#8 Elbandito

Elbandito
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 89 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2014 - 04:54 AM

I hate to do it, but I have to ask a very basic question just in case... Have you tried rebooting the computer! That can (if you're lucky) solve a lot of computer issues.

Have you tried uninstalling the drivers for the sound card, rebooting, re-installing the drivers, and then rebooting again?

Is this a laptop or desktop? If it's a desktop, is this the built-in/onboard/integrated audio that came with the computer, or is it a separate audio card?

On my old (and only) desktop, the built-in audio stopped working not long after I bought it! I bought an audio card for about $30 that was better than what the computer came with.

It has been working flawlessly for about 9 years.

Tried rebooting, system restore. Tried updating drivers but said it could find none. In fact I think the actual sound card bit is showing no drivers at all. 

Desktop.

Not sure, but the computer was hand built, rather than a store buy.

#9 Elbandito

Elbandito
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 89 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2014 - 04:58 AM

Strange thing was the sound worked perfectly fine in the morning, switched PC off, spotify manually upgraded, sound stopped working.

#10 Elbandito

Elbandito
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 89 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2014 - 05:08 AM

This is what shows up.

49bz9vn.jpg

#11 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:45 PM

Posted 26 April 2014 - 01:03 PM

That Device Manager snapshot shows an issue going on.

You may need to reinstall your AMD software to get it right. Download the AutoDetect Utility & see what it offers. Note that .NET Framework 4 from Windows/MS Update is required for this to work.

http://support.amd.com/en-us/download

This is the US link, you should be redirected to the European site.

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#12 Elbandito

Elbandito
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 89 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2014 - 07:40 AM

I've tried that but sound still not appearing.

Got this message on reboot after installation as well.

WBHelp2.dll missing and cannot continue skinning.

#13 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:45 PM

Posted 03 May 2014 - 12:00 PM

How about this? It's what I come up with after researching the error code.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_vista-hardware/error-on-startup-wbhelp2dll-missing-and-cannot/a2b8357e-ce2d-4e79-9036-791cea3d1b9b

Here's AMD's stance on it, it not the fault of drivers. There are further links for assistance there. It is possible that the CCC may have to be reinstalled after removal of the issue. Try the above solution first.

http://forums.amd.com/game/messageview.cfm?catid=454&threadid=168279

Hope this is of assistance.

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users