Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Browser diverts to different webserver

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 NotionCommotion

NotionCommotion

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:52 AM

Posted 18 April 2014 - 12:12 PM

I have two Windows 7 PCs on my home LAN.  One desktop is wired to the router and the other laptop is wireless.

From the desktop (and not the laptop), when I go to this site, I see the following shown below.  I've tried (3) separate browsers with the same effect.

Note that mydomain.com (I changed the domain name) points to a Linux/Apache server located in my house.  I've turned the server off "just to be sure", and I still see the same.

I looked at the router, and cannot see anything bad, and I've also reset the router, but no change.

Who is this bharris.remotewebaccess.com?  What could cause this?

This is probably not the site you are looking for!
You attempted to reach mydomain.com, but instead you actually reached a server identifying itself asbharris.remotewebaccess.com. This may be caused by a misconfiguration on the server or by something more serious. An attacker on your network could be trying to get you to visit a fake (and potentially harmful) version of mydomain.com.
You should not proceed, especially if you have never seen this warning before for this site.
Proceed anyway Back to safety
Help me understand

When you connect to a secure website, the server hosting that site presents your browser with something called a "certificate" to verify its identity. This certificate contains identity information, such as the address of the website, which is verified by a third party that your computer trusts. By checking that the address in the certificate matches the address of the website, it is possible to verify that you are securely communicating with the website you intended, and not a third party (such as an attacker on your network).

In this case, the address listed in the certificate does not match the address of the website your browser tried to go to. One possible reason for this is that your communications are being intercepted by an attacker who is presenting a certificate for a different website, which would cause a mismatch. Another possible reason is that the server is set up to return the same certificate for multiple websites, including the one you are attempting to visit, even though that certificate is not valid for all of those websites. Google Chrome can say for sure that you reachedbharris.remotewebaccess.com, but cannot verify that that is the same site as mydomain.com which you intended to reach. If you proceed, Chrome will not check for any further name mismatches.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users