Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Interested in IT..but

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 56KPensionParadigm

56KPensionParadigm

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:04 AM

Posted 18 April 2014 - 11:01 AM

So. I am a 24 year old male, February 1990. I did not graduate High School, received almost perfect grades on my G.E.D. except for math. It just happened to be the last subject and I was in a rush to leave... I averaged my IQ after taking a test 3 times to be 130.. in the 8th grade I haven't followed up since then. I'm born in Lowell MA, I consider myself tech savvy, I love learning about all the way you can enter data into these machines and the commands they can preform it's still so incredible to me. I have a few legal disagreements on my record but I moved forward from that life, It can make you feel real guilty after awhile. I always thought Cryptographic engineering would be my dream to learn the field and work within it as a career. I am told and self-aware that I am good at detecting lies, figuring out peoples motive/incentive/angles, judging character, perceiving things about people through body language etc. to shutup and get to the point I want To make countermeasures against malicious hackers, Virtual security, Cyber Thieves, etc..  too afraid to do the act in the flesh so they hide behind a machine. These walks of human beings should be incarcerated unable to reproduce in the name of Natural Selection. I've always been a curious not dumb(If you think you're smart then you are day dreaming) inquisitive person good at producing information, and my name in translation means detective. People are Naïve to the enormous gaps in their virtual security everywhere they go and the scum bags are having an all you can take free for all at the expense of disappointingly ignorant people. So where do I start and what kind of a path am I looking at and How high are the cards stacked against me ;cause If they didn't make some work so hard than it wouldn't be possible for life to ever be so easy.

Edited by 56KPensionParadigm, 18 April 2014 - 11:02 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Roodo

Roodo

• Members
  • 760 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:04 AM

Posted 18 April 2014 - 11:23 AM

Enroll in college. Follow the degree path, that the college has for something like: Computer Forensics, Security, take some programming classes.

Heres some programs from Middlesex:

#3 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,278 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:04 AM

Posted 18 April 2014 - 03:17 PM

Cryptography is highly math intensive, just so you know.  I'd suggest getting a Computer Security degree like Roodo mentioned.  Maybe look into penetration testing.

Where you might have an issue is with the legal issues in your past.  Very few companies will hire someone without running a background check for an IT or Security role.

#4 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:04 AM

Posted 24 May 2014 - 10:18 PM

Cryptography is extremely math heavy, programming can be as well.  Which part of security are you interested in?  You can be a tester, or help determine IT security policy.  Both require different skill sets if your math skills aren't good.

Security roles often have very intensive background and security checks, but so long as your legal disagreements weren't involving your integrity or major, you shouldn't have issues.

3939.png

#5 morris88

morris88

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:04 PM

Posted 29 July 2014 - 05:27 AM

Starting out now is a perfect time and it is a career path that you definitely will not regret, providing you are willing to be constantly learning.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users